Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Lizzie

Little help please

For a school trip I need some wellies as we are going to be going into old trenches etc. filled with water. I tried my dad's wellies a few days ago and it took two people to get it off again - so not really an option!

Anyone got any suggestions? It would be much appreciated

Hi Lizzie

I lost my right leg below knee last June 2004, I have to where wellies when I take my dog out.

I live quite near London but I found quite a few that are alright the ones I got came from Marks & Spencer what you need are the ones that are not quite full length and are soft rubber, you then roll them down and push like mad and in you go, getting them off can be hard work but I find that I can get mine off in 5 minutes but the softer the rubber the better, look for the trendy wellies they are just as water proof but not as robust as the good old fashion wellies.

Hope that helps.

Tricia

Hi Lizzie,

One tip I was given by my prosthetist regarding wearing boots, is to always put tights (or popsocks) onto the leg. It will make it easier to take on and off that way because of the friction.

Failing that, you could always try searching on google. Type 'side-zip wellies/wellington boots' and you might get a few ideas.

Best of luck! :rolleyes:

Lizzie!!!

I dont have any help for you but I just wanted to say hi and wish you luck in finding those boots!!!

Lesley

i used to find the best way of getting them off was to kind of stand on the heel with my good foot and sort of try to kneel with my false one, this lets the heel come up a little bit so you can eventually get the foot out. I found that if people tried to 'help' pull it off that they were just as likely to pull the whole limb off!

Mike

RBK

Scotland

Hi Lizzie,

Afet is totally right. Try the tights or a think sock. They act like a lubricant and make it tons easier to get on and off.

Cat

Hi All:

My first response to this was "what the hell is a wellies?" Now, thanks to Afet, I understand.

So my next question is to Cat:

"What the hell are think socks?"

ED

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes, this forum cracks me up!!! :lol: :P

Ed, I assumed that Cat meant THICK socks!! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong Cat... :angry:

Ok so I didn't proof read. :wub::blink::angry::blink:

Let's start again.......

Hi Lizzie,

Afet is totally right. Try the tights or a THIN sock. They act like a lubricant and make it tons easier to get on and off.

Cat

OK:

Now I'm educated. So here's my questions

How much does a wet welly weigh?

Would it add alot of weight to a leg?

Do wellies have zippers?

If so, are they down the front or the side?

Now I'm assuming the term welly is a UK thing?

What the heck am I to call these in Canada eh?

ED

Gum boots

Thanks for all your replies - I'll give them a go,

Eddie;

Wet wellies don't weigh anything more wet than dry as they are made of rubber normally,

They may add a bit of weight to the leg, but no more than a big pair of shoes

Wellies don't have zippers which is the problem as that would mean I could get them on easily, they also wouldn't them be waterproof unless there was a special zip used

I guess the term welly is a UK thing, its full name is the Wellington Boot, but as you said Sloshers is fine

Thanks again you guys

Liz x

:P

Cat, are think socks for people whose brains are in their feet? :P :D :lol:

* Sticks note to computer screen*

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Great looking boots Cat!!! good pic E

Ed they are Gum Boots because they stick to everything like glue, basic but clever

Mel.

Sorry Lizzie:

my faint attempt at a joke per sec

ED

OOps!

Oh well, my excuse? I was tired at the time so sense of humour working very slowly!

Thanks for the tips tho

Liz x

I lwas reminded of a trick our mothers used to get boots on and off-A plastic bag over the sock makes the boot go on easier.

I have mules and I need boots most of the time-LL Bean has lace up boots that are water proof, but to get them on easier, once I knew they were mine, I cut the soft side parts all the way to the leather, just so I could put them on.

My husband and I have had our boot battles tough...out of breath and red in the face trying to get them on and off.

The beauty with one leg is if it is some days in a row, you can leave the boot right on, and leave it in the corner when not in use.

Cat saaoiided : " ... * Sticks note to computer screen*

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

Spell Check

... "

Cat , I trriied to take that too therbebbbacnk but they tolded me that I was waaay ovveer drawed . :P :P :P

The only thing I can suggest is trying zip up boots, I can imagine the difficulty.... ;)

Not a Cheque ya silly slushy girl....a check......

Australia, U.S. and England.....seperated by a lot of water and a common language.