Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DonVictor

Story

When I first started therapy and getting up, standing, walking with a walker, etc. I was talking with my therapist and as I was walking, I looked over at her and said, "now I know how flemingos feel". She busted up laughing, my brother almost fell down he was laughing so hard and I had to catch myself as well. It was very funny at the time. Anyway, she ended up getting married and moved away, but I am still in contact with some of the therapists at the hospital and this one girl is like best friends with her. She told me that the girl that moved had bought a plastic flemingo and has it in her front yard and thinks of me everytime she sees it. It sort of makes me feel good that she will always remember working with me and I made her laugh.

My nieces are also very funny. Kids are going to be curious and my one niece that is 3 will always ask me in this serious looking way, "Uncle Vic...where'd your leg go"? Now when I'm over at my brothers and my brother or sister inlaw are asking her to do something she really doesn't want to do, she'll use that to change the subject (and probably to make everyone laugh). They'll be like, "Go clean the toys in your room", and she'll look around, walk over to me and hold her arms up and ask where my leg is. One day I said I didn't know and asked her to find it. It was sort of cruel, but she went around looking and came back and said she couldn't. We all had a great time that day. :lol:

DonVictor,

You got to love kids.... I went to the store one day with my daughter we both ended up having to use the restroom. While I was waiting outside the restroom for her to come out this boy was staring at my leg and turing his head sideways trying to figure out my leg. I was going to tell him neat leg huh but decided against it. His mother was oblivious to him staring at me.

Brenda

Brenda & Don,

I agree, kids are the best, they just are'nt inhibited like adults when it comes to looking or asking questions.

I remember just after I got out of hospital, and before I had total confidence in my "walking" ability on my training prothesis, I was at the local shopping centre using crutches instead of wearing my leg.

I ran into an friend who was shopping with her very young child.

While talking to my friend the child knelt down on the floor to look up my shorts to try and find my leg.

I thought it was the funniest thing, but the mother was mortified.

Rgds Glenn