Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
doggie

"What's it like.........."

Hi Everyone,

earlier today I was sitting outside Truro Cathederal, sipping a cappachino and enjoying a beautiful almost spring like day.

And a middle aged couple came up to me, (the guy was using crutch's) and asked:

"What is it like being an amputee?"

And I replied, rightly or maybe wrongly 'that it was the same as having two legs, but using one leg'.

The guy smiled and nodded to his partner and they went off.

Now I don't know if the guy was going to become an amp or why the question was asked. They didn't sit on the bench to have a discussion, IMO it was an instant 'thought' they may have had seeing me and took the opportunity to ask the question. So I didn't have the opportunity to expand upon my answer.

That was my opinion as regards the question, but as said I answered maybe right or maybe wrong!

Given the short time span, less than a minute; what would your answer be to the question?

As ever

Steve

Good answer Steve. I liked it.

I have been asked that question quite a few times, mostly by kids.

My ususal answer is, " To be honest I can't tell you because for me, this is normal. It's all I have ever known."

Cat

Man doggie

That is a great question, and in a minutes worth, I dont know what I would say!!! I mean usually people come up to me and we talk about how it feels or does it hurt, but wow I will have to think about that one

Lesley

You bet that is a hard question. Right along the lines of every other "disability" like a being a para or quad.

What is it like? - As a recent amp - strange / hard to believe / really awkward / self gratifying when you win - crap when you lose / in many ways - very self empowering / after a while - NORMAL!!!!

ED

Doggie,

You said it well. I don't know how I would respond, probably tell them like Cat said I've known no other life. I also tell them it's what you make of it.

Ed,

You said it very well...

Hi Steve, that was fast thinking, with a good answer. Hummm lets see, I think my answer would have to be, it's like living in two worlds, one independent and the other somewhat dependent.

However, now I like to think of myself as NORMAL, whatever that is....... :blink:

I also agree with Brenda, I think ED said it very well.

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

After only having my limb for one day I don't quite know how I would have answered, I know I am very glad I had the amputation done in the first place, but I do like the bit in Ed's reply about after a while feeling normal, because it seems a way off to me just at the moment.

Trying not to try too hard :blink:

I suppose I would have said that it was strange at first but now has very little effect on my life, I suppose that I am lucky though in that I have very few problems and have always gotten on fairly well with my prostheses. Also being young when it happened i think was a major advantage as youngsters are much more adaptable.

I suppose not knowing why the person wanted to know would make it difficult to answer, maybe he was a prospective amputee himself?

Mike

RBK

Scotland

To PamR / Brenda / Sheila:

Thanks for the additional (agreeing) comments.

Once in a while the old brain pushes out a good comment.

ED

It's an easy one for me, I would tell them that I wouldn't wish this on anyone but that I wouldn't change my life at all...I really don't mind being an amputee.

Although I do really well, am at the point of feeling "nomal", I definitely prefer 2 real legs. I would honestly have to say I wish this hadn't happened to me and would change it if I could.

That said, I don't sit around wishing things were different. That wouldn't get me anywhere. Under the circumstances, life is truly good and I'm doing a lot of things I did before.

Hope I don't sound bitter, I'm not. But that would be my honest answer.

Marcia, you don't sound bitter. Actually you sound quite positive .

I find the question very broad allowing a lot of room for discussion. They obviously were only interested in a quick summary. :blink: If people ask a question like that they should at least have the time to listen. Maybe i'm wrong, but that's how i see it. I would liked to have asked them: Well dearies, what would you like to hear? Ofcourse it's crappy but we just have to get on with it the best we can. Your answer was good though.

I totally agree Kaz, if people want to know about such a devastating circumstance in one's life, they should expect more than just a quick summary. At least from me, cos in case anyone hasn't noticed, I find it hard to say HELLO without a paragraph or two!!!! :P :lol:

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)