Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

Sorting Us out

Hi All:

I have a problem that causes me some difficulty.

Now I don't know if I am just stupid or not but I really have a hard time associating gender and real first names to posting names.

Sorry but I often confuse Muz with Kaz. and realised for whatever reason, recently that "nomorelandmines is female.

I also realize that there are very few photos of individuals in their profile. I am always checking the profiles to get a sense of the amp level.

Would the rest of you consider ammending their profiles to at least indicate female or male? It would help me out a lot. Also, recently, I realized that "mmarie's" first name is actually Marcia - call me a putz!!!

I hope that I am not the only one who is this way.

ED

Hey Putz, I mean Ed....I get confused too and wouldn't mind amending my profile to indicate gender. Can we do that?

Excuse me, Edwina ??? :D :P

There are many names that sound the same , Cat, Kaz, Muz, Cazzy1 ...but most people write out their name in the signature anyway.

Johnny or Steve: Would it be possible to make it standard that new members write out their first name in the signature ?

Ed, it's already been suggested that members fill out their profiles completely but unfortunately not all do that yet. Somewhere, somehow you'll find the information you need, suddenly pops up in a post as to (e.g.) how someone became an amputee and what level, etc.

PS: Muz is the one with the beer belly ..hehe :lol:

To mmarie:

I added this info to my "profile area". In fact, if it were not for the word "needlework (again my perception!!) I would not be able to decern whether you are m / f. It was JUST recently I associated the name marcia with a post somewhere.

To Kaz: I agree but I, in my simple little mind, find that when I when I am reading a post by a "common or similar " name, I read it differently to myself if I am perceiving the writer as female or male.

Really, this is not a big deal BUT...............it was forever before I realized that Muz is female and it did make a difference in my perception.

ED

P.S. - I do have some damage to my memory areas so this whole thing may just be my problem

OMG -

PS: Muz is the one with the beer belly ..hehe

Now I'm not sure anymore - Muz.................... help me!!! Beer belly evokes a male image in my damaged head.

ED

Sorry, I have to chime in here...

Muz IS a guy Eddie!!!!!!! :lol:

Muz is short for Murray, which is also in Muz's signature, at the bottom of his posts.

I know what you mean though. I myself thought NoMoreLandmines was a guy too at first, but then noticed that she wrote her name once. I think her name is Lauren???

I also thought Lark was a guy too, a while back now, and we had much fun finding out that she is really a Lorraine!!!! :blink:

I agree that you 'hear' the person's voice according to your perception of who you think the person is.

I think clues can be ascertained by the person's profile (like you did already with the needlework example) and also clues are dropped by the person's style of writing, as well as with their avatar - sometimes! :blink:

That's why I have chosen quite a feminine avatar, because I know my name does not necessarily confirm my sex, as it is not a well known name.

If in doubt, I'm sure people won't be offended if you asked what sex they are. I know I wouldn't mind being asked that.

Just to further confuse you, or maybe confirm my femaleness, my last name is Marie. It's kind of like having 2 first names. I get called Marie all the time so I pretty much answer to anything. What I really love is when someone asks what is your last name. I say Marie and they say no ma'am, your last name. THAT IS MY LAST NAME!! Oh well.....

I bet some guys with beer bellies also do needlework!! This could get really complicated!

Good question and answers in reply!!!!

Lets start doing something about it!!!!

Lesley

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm :huh:

Sex?.......yes please :rolleyes: :P

Cat

There you go Ed, i have changed my signature and added my gender.

Never really thought about this before but as you quite rightly point out it is not always possible to ascertain a persons gender just from there chosen login name.

I suppose over time most people give clues within their posts but it can be a while before this happens.

Hi Everyone:

Ed this is a great point. I too have difficulty.

I am now going to change my "profile"

Lynne

Click Here: I'm the one on the right

Me again, still male :)

Sorry to have confused you Ed. I could confuse you even more if I dig out the photo taken of me when I entered an Alternative Miss Lyme Regis contest (and won I hasten to add). As you can see I'm a retired Ex seviceman, having spent 22 years in the Royal Navy (which probably acounts for the confusion, either that or my inner femininity escaping :D :D :D)

I agree ED, sometimes it can be diffcult to make out one's gender. There has been a few times on here, when I wasn't sure, but the more I read one's posting the clearer it becomes to me. I also thought Lark was a guy, my apologizes :( I just the name kinda made me think that way. Hey my husband had an Uncle by the name of Shirley, boy was I totally shocked when he said Uncle!! :rolleyes: I guess as Afet says, I don't feel that many would be offended if you asked their gender. I wouldn't be, as a matter of fact, does anyone kow what sex Tweety Bird is???? :P :lol: :lol:

Hey Cat, in Australia the word 'Sheila' means a female correct? So with my name, what else could they take me for..... ok now be nice!!! :huh: :lol:

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

MUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna SEE!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOL

Sheila you would be called.......that sheila Sheila...lol

Actually not many say it thses days as it has become a little PC incorrect.

Good thread Ed....nice idea.

But I'm still not tellin which one I am lmao....I'm just Cat

Cat :D

Actually on second thought maybe I really should clairfy it.

But I don't think this is the place and anyone who wants to message me about it will get a reply.....promise.

You can all be guys and girls.......I'll just be Cat in the middle lol :rolleyes:

Cat ( in the middle)

Oohh, nice fish nets ..LOL :lol: Marks and Sparks?

Gee Muz,

Everything seems to fit you so well! ;)

Are these items from your personal collection? :P :D :lol:

Kep B)

To Muz:

I see that you have changed your avatar. As an ex military man myself, I "feel" this naval emblem as masculine so hopefully I won't confuse you with your alter ego "Miss Lyme Regis ".

ED

It was taken over 4 years ago so gravity, beer and cars have all taken their toll on my once "svelt" figure :)

Can't remember where the fishnets came from, may have been Anne Summers :lol: The rest of the outfit came from friends or charity shops and as for the shoes, it's easier walking down the high street with one leg than tottering in high heels.

Do you reckon MJ would appreciate the hair?

Ed, which service were you in? Land, Sea or Air?