Afet

Double AK Amputee Climber

Thanks Afet that was a great thing to share :D

Cat

Proud Aussie

And not in those heels of yours hopefully Muz :D

Hey Muz, I know! :lol:

I'm a little worried too. Come on Ed, where aaaaaaaaaaaare yooooou? :P :lol: :P

Cat, you have every reason to be proud! All the best things come out of Australia. Like Kylie... Neighbours... and the fantastic Australian honey I bought the other day, which has a "smooth toffee flavour" due to the bees being placed near "the eucalyptus trees when they are in blossom." It's beautiful! :P (Available from all good Sainsbury's stores nationwide!!!)

I can't STAND vegemite :rolleyes::blink::unsure::blink:

I have to know - what is vegemite? And where IS Ed?

Vegemite is a sticky brown paste made from yeast. It's great spread on toast. In the UK we have Marmite (which was produced before Vegemite) but I reckon Vegemite's got a smoother taste.

As you might have guessed by Afet's and Cat's reaction, people either love it or hate it. In fact Marmite is running an advertising campaign that relies on the love hate relationship of it's product :)

As you don't like Vegemite Cat, how about TimTams?

NOW you're talking Muz :D

MMMMmmmmmmmm TimTam shooter

Cat

Thanks Muz, interesting. I keep hearing a song in my head (can't think of the name of it) that has a line:

"he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"

Now I know what it means....

Thanks Muz, interesting. I keep hearing a song in my head (can't think of the name of it) that has a line:

"he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"

Now I know what it means....

I thinks that from "I came from a land down under" by Men at Work

Well done Rob & correct Men at Work, Vegemite is fabulous it's a by product beer.

We love Australia!

Tim Tams-chocolate biscuits with a chocolate cream in the middle that you can suck coffee through and the whole thing melts in a gooey mess but it's totally yummy! :P

Mel

and THAT'S a timtam shooter :D

for you Americans it's a cookie.

Cat

Hey people:

This si an area that I do not visit often. For whatever reason, the little blue thingie did not "display" a new topic.

Thanks for your concern BUT, thanks to melaussie, I had been directed towards Warren prior. I have been in contact and have discussed various aspects of his stubbie feet and sockets to date with him.

If you got to http://www.warren-macdonald.com/index.html he has several interesting vidoe clips of some of his climbs.

I don't think I would ever climb a mountain (never did before) but will travel through the woods.

Sorry for causing a ruckus

ED

Hey Ed,

Subscribe to his Newsletter too! It's got some mad things in it! And some good reading

Mel.

For the Record:

A comparision of Warren ED

Similarities:

- both are bald or inmy case balding

- both ride a chair real well

- both "look" similar in a chair

- both are now using C- leg units, Warren just recently

Differences:

- Warren is way younger / Ed is an old fart

- Warren was in shape climbing before / ED was an out of shape - dam near senior

- Ed is a long time smoker (unfortunately) / Warren, I believe is not

- Warren is really strong / ED is ok for someone his age

- Warren is slim / ED is still struggling with the "puddling" effect

- Warren uses his brain to make a living very well / ED's brain is buggered

- Warren's stumps are quite short and different / ED's stumps are almost identical in length (although rebuilt opposite to each other)

Conclusions:

- both cases show that, regardless of age, physical shape, stump length, and hair length, it is possible for a bilateral ak amp to get up and go.......IF HE / SHE WANTS TO!!!

ED

Is this where I add my aussie notation?... just skimming thru and reading the references to austrailia I was reminded of a guy I shared a ski lift chair with two weeks ago...he asked about my outriggers (very nice guy, by the way) and he sounded JUST like "The Wiggles"...I knew he was an Aussie! I told him I have *friends* from australia....you guys! :blink:

Judy

utah

lbk

Wow. While I was in Denver I went and met Mr. McDonald. He gave a short talk and slide show. Although I wanted to see him in his stubbies he had just gotten a pair of c-legs. Had them for a week. He is really nice. His residual limbs are quite similiar to mine, one shorter than the other, but opposite. His right is his short limb and my left is my short limb. He needs to use a belt with the c-leg on his short limb, but not when he wears his stubbies. I naturally bought his book and he signed it for me. I went in my chair as it was my first week there. I was the only other double amputee there, but there was a friend of his who climbs wtih him who is a single amputee, not sure if it was above or below the knee. It was a real boost to my sticking with my rehab. I haven't finished the book yet, but as with most stories like his it will help to read it for some positive encouragement.

I'm going to meet Warren on Monday night & really looking forward to it. Which book did you buy? and which talk did he give I'm curious byteme?

Hi. The book is the one he wrote, ' A Test Of Will '. Tells about his past and the accident he had. He gives a slide show of him on one of his climbs with the stubbies he uses. He has a good sense of humor, a little bit of an accent. He will answer some questions after the slide show no matter if its to do with climbing, the accident or his stubbies/legs. Good for a pick-me-up. Hope you enjoy it!

Byteme, bought his book but had already read it by another name and he has added a few extra bits-little more detailed this time around.

You're right he is a laugh and still sounds very much the aussie not accent loss there. He's achieved some amazing stuff.