Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
greenthumb

watch out for those crutches.

Yesterday, for no reason at all, no warning sign I went to get something on my kitchen and my crutches just went sliding no way to stop, each went on diferent direction and down I came. Since I was near a wall my head just bang there and my whole body went down so fast, I didn't have a chance to grab anything. When I tried to get back up, my crutches just would not stay still. I finally manage to get to a carpeted area and check the end of them...both tips were bad...they were so smooth on the base just like plastic, no wonder I feel. Time to buy new tips for them and from now on I will check them out once a while.

Dea

greenthumb

I am so sorry about that, I hope your leg was alright, did you have your leg on or you didnt have it on, just your bare stump? I hope everything is alright, maybe just get some more crutches, because I know it would be hard for me (if I used them) to trust the same ones again

I am babbling! But good luck on everything

Lesley

Oh Geenthumbs!

I am sure that hurt, how is your stump? I hope you are ok. You might want to replace your crutch tips and the hand grips and the arm grips instead of buying a whole new pair of crutches. It can be cheaper, but most insuraces don't pay for those parts,check and see if yours does.Life on crtuches is a bit tricky?

Unique

Geez Dea,

Hope you are ok.

A warning to all I guess as we all probably have had to use them at some stage.

I hate the damn things.

Cat

Bad Luck Dea, I fell outside before Christmas and you go down so quickly, it really knocks you for six, and your confidence too. Hope everything is OK now.

Love from

Those dam tips.................. can't someone invent one with some grip!!!!!

I cross cut mine with a sharp knife so that there are additional channels for water to drain out of. This also adds a little more flex to the tip bottom.

Not an answer but it helps me a bit.

ED

Hey my dears, how are you all? I am feeling kind of sad because my computer is giving me a hard time to do anything. I guess I didn't tell you but since last November my husband went to work in Sacramento/California, since the jobs in Michigan went south, I am guessing or the big Coorperations decided to hire others who would work for less money... Anyways...I am all by myself with my brave dog for protection and company. I didn't notice how lonely it was because I have you and my other friends I e-mail back and forth...well now it is getting kind of boring when I can't use the computer some days...so if you don't hear from me, if sometimes I don't replay fast enough it is because of this crazy machine.\

My husband will be coming next month and he will be able to update this baby but until then...I have to be patiente.

I use my crutches everyday after take my last shower and when I fell I wasn't using my artificial limb. I was ok, just sore and surprised...glad no broken bones.

I went to Wall-mart to buy new tips but they were out. I took the ones from my old wood crutches and put on my aluminum one.

Thank you Ed. this is a good trick, so you make some cut, like a cross, is that it? I wonder if I should do it even on my cane because sometimes if I come from the outside to a not carpeted floor and it has been wet outside, I try to dry the tip of my cane (if I forget, it will remind me very fast, because it gets slippery.)

Well thanks everybody for your replays. I love you all.

Dea

To Dea:

I cut a cross across the end of my cane. It is then V shaped inwards. As I said - not an answer but seems to help a bit.

This am I was at a friends business and mentioned cane tips. I have often said if anyone invented something to cure this - one would be rich.

He is now using a new kind of material for some of the other items he produces. We have agreed to use me as a test person. I will keep all posted as to the out come.

ED

Dea, Dea, I'm sorry to hear about your fall, but relieved you weren't hurt. I love crutches, but I know one has to be very watchful about the tips. Another area that needs to be watched are the wing nuts that they are tight. It always surprises me that they can become loosened. Their becoming loose can compromise the stability of the crutch. I check my crutches out at least once a month since I count so heavily on them. Another area that needs to be watched is wetness or greasiness on linoleum floors or even stickiness. I have guys that aren't always very good at cleaning up messes they make and sometimes it's on the floor. So, when we use crutches we have to be mindful of the floor conditions, too.

phillycarole

PS I'm a little accident proned, so am learning what I have to watch out for anymore.

I got rid of canadian crutches, and went back to the under arm type. I fell with the Canadian crutches and I couldn't catch myself, because I was attached to the arm bands-considered them dangerous.

But yes, old tips can be slippery..like the idea that you score the bottoms of tips. And wathc out for wet floors in the bathroom.