Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
TriciaShort/middx

DRIVING ON HOILDAY /AUSTRALIA

Hi Everyone

I am RBK and having been driving with a flip up pedal successfully for about 3 months, (i had the amputation in June 2004).

I am hoping to go to Australia to visit my family in March, but because my mum is very old I need to be able to drive, does anybody know whether I will be able to hire a car (I am going to Perth) when i get there. :rolleyes:

I would be very grateful for any information regarding hiring cars suitable for a amputee to drive when on hoilday.

thanks Tricia

Hi Tricia,

I live in Sydney on the other side of Australia.

Regarding hiring a car try doing a google search on " Hertz"

Debbie

Hi Tricia,

I live in Melbourne and need about 4 days worth of repairs to my car. The insurance company has rung around everywhere but without any luck at all. You might want to contact Amputees in Action in WA they might have some answers for you-Lisa is pretty much on the ball with whats happening in her neck of the woods.

Good luck

Mel :)

www.amputeesinaction.org.au

Probably the easiest way is to flip your right pedal down and practice with that for a while (crossing your leg over) then when you get to Oz you can hire a normal automatic.

Tricia,

I'm rbk and actually did drive cross-over for several weeks before I got the flip down adaptor. It's no big deal. You should be able to do it.

Hi Tricia,

I have been surfing the car rental places and haven't found anything that would suit you. You might have to contact them yourself. Try Hertz or Budget.

Cat

Hi Cat

Thanks alot for your help, i have been in touch with Hertz with no luck i will try Budget, i have even tried amputees in action in WA with no luck. It seems that my only option may be as driving with cross over legs but i did try this before i had my own car adapted and found it very difficult.

I am sure the problem would be the same in the UK if i wanted to hire a car i think it sucks.

Thanks Tricia :(

Tricia,

I think it sucks too! Surely these major car companies could have a few cars in their fleet which are adaptable I bet the Govt would even give them a tax rebate.

You would think that we're asking for a million bucks

Mel.

I recently asked a couple of companys, that my employer uses, if they had vehicles with left foot accelarators and was told that the only adaptions they supply are hand controls. Great if you know how to use them.

The point is though that they should offer both options. I think a left foot accelarator is easier to use than hand controls.

Hi everyone,

thanks so much for all your help, like you said Muz all i can find is cars with hand controls which obviously is needed if you are missing your left leg as well (i am missing my right obviously) but like you i do not know how to use them.

Anyway i will starting practising to drive with my right foot accelators pedal down, i really want to go and see my mum as she is 86 and not in the best of health.

Thanks Tricia