Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jjg

itchy!!!!

I'm a bk amputee. I wear a lockin liner, and when it gets warm out it gets soooo itchy it drives me crazy. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and what can be done to stop this?

Hello jjg, and welcome. I don't want to sound like the "search Nazis" you find at other websites, but you will find this is a very common problem talked about a lot on this site, both past and present--there's a couple of threads running about it now, I think. Anyway, if you use the search function you'll be able to tune into some previous discussions to see what's applicable to you. For some immediate advice, the basic trick to avoid skin irritation with these liners is to keep both your liner and stump as dry and as clean as possible. This is done with daily thorough washing and rinsing of the liner and leg, and some find the use of antiperspirants useful--there are some special ones available through your prosthetist that may be very helpful. Anyway, take a look at some of the discussions that have taken place and if you have specific questions, people here are always ready to try to help.

Hi jjg

maybe some lotion with vitamins or an oil to put on every night. Maybe that will help, I have a liner I forgot which one and mine gets itchy also

I hope this helps

Lesley

NIVEA!!!!!

Nivea is the answer 2 every thing..... well in my world ne how.

on a serious note nivea is great for scars....:D:D

My answer to the itching is,

along with the frequent washing of both the liner and your stump (carry baby wipes with you during the daytime)at night after washing i alternate each night using Sudacreme(baby nappy rash cream)and calamine lotion. I always put a little calamine lotion on the worst affected areas every day. You have to be careful not to put a barrier between your liner and you skin, otherwise the liner will not hold, because the calamine dries completely it is no problem.

Hope this helps

I wash my liner with plain soap (be carefull as I've seen some soaps listed as unscented and then when you look at the ingredients list, right at the bottom is the word perfume :blink: ). It doesn't usually need more than one wash a day except in extreme conditions but as the others have mentioned, carrying baby wipes can be a good idea (again go for the unscented ones - remember if the have a clean fresh smell then they're perfumed). If the rash is bad I use a little Germolene or similar as this has a local anasthetic effect as well as anti bacterial. My prosthetist also gave me a bottle of Alps lotion which helps avoid the problem. You only use a small amount as it's very slippery and spreads a long way.

As I mentioned earlier I usually only wash my liner once a day which seems ok even when I start the night shift so will have been wearing it for 24 hours continuous by the time I come off shift.

Some water from the tap is treated with chemicals. We have hard water and must soften it with salt-this irritated my skin. I wash with our tap water then rince with bottled water to clean my socket out.

Aloe gel (not dyed) is very good for your skin. and also an oatmeal bath is good for your skin.

Be careful of certain soaps.