Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
twink59

Traveling to Europe

Hi all,

I haven't been to Europe since I had my leg amputated so I don't know what to expect. Last time I was there I climbed around on Mt. Etna, don't think I'll be doing that this time!! Overall, how handicap friendly is Europe? We have strict building codes, etc. here in the United States so I'm used to being able to get around quite easily and freely. I've ordered a new wheelchair with the big bicycle-type tires in hopes that I can better negiotate the streets. I'll be going in August. We'll be traveling to Budapest, Prague and we'll be taking a river cruise down the Danube. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marsha - twink59

Hi Twink:

I wish somebody would answer in this area. I also would like to do Europe some day but need to know this stuff too!!

ED

Great plans Masha!

But I think it's difficult to give a good answer because there isn't really a "Europe" wich can be called either "handicap friendly" or not.

So many countries and every country has its own kind of dealing with handicaped people.

As a rule I think that the things you really tike to see as a foreigner are the old buildings and townparts and those are mostly not handicap friendly.

If I had to visit those places I would take both wheelchair and crutches with me.

With crutches you can visit spots that are not accessable with wheelchair.

The old parts of Prague are beautyful and I think you can visit the most with weelchair/crutches combination.

I don't know Budapest but I heard that it's quit similar.

Have a nice time in Europe Marcha and if you have plans for Holland... let me know!

Hi Everyone:

I have lived and travelled thru Europe.

The handicapped services are comparable to Canada.

The most difficulty I had was walking. In Scotland and Switzerland there are so many "hilly" roads and walks.

Hotels were difficult, most of them have only a shower, with that little 3" lip to get over.

Torquay was terrible for the hotels, but they are pretty old.

When I was younger in Liverpool my Dad got me a bus pass for the handicapped. This was free on the Red buses, not the green. I don't know if it is still the same in Liverpool.

Hope this helps.

Lynne

Hi all,

Thanks for the input! I didn't really give the bathroom situation much thought, so I'm grateful for the info. I think I'll try to find some sort of collapsible seat that I can pack and use as a bath bench. My major concern was holding everyone up since I don't walk very fast but I think I solved that problem with the new wheelchair. The chair is lightweight so we'll be able to carry it up steps and over uneven doorways. I'm really exicted about the trip so I'm determined not to let anything hold me back.

Thanks again for the input!

Marsha

Hey Marsha,

I've got the same name, different spelling!

You could probably send a shower seat like your baggage. I did that with my wheelchair when I went to Orlando and to San Antonio. I was worried they'd lose it, but everything was ok. Have a great time!

Before my amps, I traveled in several countries in Europe + Russia. Co is right, it varies from place to place - even within a country. It's probably true that the older historic sites that tourists want to see were built l-o-n-g before pwoplw thought of accessibility. Now that I have two fake hoofs, I think the many hills of Greece would be out of reach now.

I would suggest doing an on-line (Google) search for each city and site, each airport, that you plan to visit. I know Britain has lots of on-line info. Recently I even saw an on-line site for toilet facilities in Britain.

You plan to bring a light-weight wheelchair, crutches and a bath seat sounds wise. I have a bath seat that fits in my checked baggage, which is adjustable to fit any tub or shower stall.

Happyy travels.