Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
hash

make them stop

:( I am feeling miserable at the moment because I have got a couple of ingrowing hairs on my stump which seem to be resistant to everything. The Doc tried antibiotics for the infection 'no go' Ive tried Plasters, Creams, Talc but nothing works and they rub constantly HELP!

That's a horrible problem, what about a product called ingrowgo, I don't know how but it's suppose to alleviate all ingrown hairs.

Chris, you might have some luck via a beauty therapist, they use it for bikini lines etc on clients who have problems

I hate to be admitting to this, but a cosmetic company are now producing a hair removal cream solely for use by men. With the onset of more men taking pride in their nether regions, immac have produced a cream less harsh than the one used by women originallly.

I have considered using this as my stump gets very itchy with all the hair and shaving was a big no no because of the ingrowing hair problem and the stubble. (apparantly using hair removing cream, dispenses of this problem. But dont take that as gospel cause i've never tried it, honest...)

Hope it helps, tell me how you get on.

Hash

Have you ever tried shaving the area, with a really good rezor??

Lesley

have you any tegaderm.. Ive still got a load left over from hospital. I dont know what it is used for, but it is clear and sticky (but doesnt hurt too much to pull off) I use this if i have an ingrowing hair and it encourages it to comeout, brining the gunk that is there out aswell. (sorry 4 the description)

Do not shave your groin area! The hairs that grow back are going to rub against the hard surface and cause the same problem.

I smear petrolium (sp) jelly on my groin area which limits the friction. Friction is what causes hair folical irritation. If I do get a flare up I use the jelly and I take Moltrin to reduce the inflamation.

You could also use tweezers on areas that start to look inflamed and put an antibiotic cream like neo-sporen (sp?)

For 30 years, this has my biggest pet peeve- is to not have those nasty creatures flare up.

Ask your prosthetic person if they have a solution also, there might be more pressure than you need.

ALSO... I have found that controling my weight is so important to keep a good fit.