:o :) :) WOW Totally impressive! :)

Can't beat that. Nice.

I can...Yak-18T (with 400 hp M-14PF engine). :D

yaksmallge0.jpg

Way cool also.

How do you like your Harmoney?

Skully Cat

I can...Yak-18T (with 400 hp M-14PF engine). :D

Damn... You're my hero, aviation-wise. B)

Way cool also.

How do you like your Harmoney?

Skully Cat

I've posted a good bit in the Proshetics section about my Harmony experiences...overall, I love it, and think for me (relatively high BK) it is by far the best solution. That said, it is pretty maintenance intensive...it seems like I can only go a few weeks before a hole in the sleeve or tubes or clogged pump essentially turns it back into an average leg. Being an engineer, I don't mind tinkering with it, but if you want something maintenance-free, I think people should consider it carefully.

The aircraft is Yakolev Yak-18T, originally built in Russia. It is the perfect airplane for an amputee, for not only is there plenty of space inside, but, like all Eastern European aircraft (and pre-70s Western European aircraft), it has air-operated hand brakes. This is a big advantage as most American aircraft have brakes actuated with your toes (essentially you tilt the rudder pedals forward)...quite difficult for an AK. I have been able to succesfully fly with toe brakes by using a special program with the 2nd mode of the C-leg, but the brakes on the Yak make life a lot easier. To apply more brake pressure to one wheel than the other, you simply squeeze the brake handle and push the appropriate rudder pedal. Russian aircraft were built with the air brakes as the American style hydraulic brakes do not work as well in extreme cold temperatures.

The engine on the Yak also turns the reverse direction of American aircraft. In American aircraft, on take-off and other manuvuers, you have to apply a lot of force to the rudder pedals with your right leg. On the Yak, you have to apply the force with your left leg. Being a left BK (strong side), right AK (weak side) means the Yak is much easier to fly for me.

Hi

I drive an amazing 4 x4 "canary yellow, Dakota.

(I love going 4 x 4'ing)

and;

A 1971 Cougar Rag Top, which I will be "putting into a show" in June

Lynne

Both of you guy's do impress me (like stagger said - aircraft wise). Flying myself was always a dream of mine - never realized. Flown a bit with others however.

But I've done what I've done so I can't complain..............maybe in my next life. :P

I 'upgraded' my old car for this beast. Its a Land Rover Defender 90 commercial (no seats in the back). I do use it as it was intended and have had stone, hay, cement blocks, engine parts, my three legged dog etc in the back and have had railroad sleepers, misc timber, land drainage pipes etc strapped to the top. I have used it to haul my donkeys around and bring in even more hay in the trailer. (Its a handy thing to pull up unwanted bushes as well.) The only 'poser' aspect would be the snorkel. It came with it and I just haven't forged any streams yet.

It is modified so that I have the option to have the clutch pressed in by pushing a button the gear lever but I have never used the modification. Theres enough room for my leg to manuver around. But I had installed just in case.

landrover1.jpg

That's a beaut Steve. I think black is the perfect color for most cars.

Here is what I drive in black, of course.

04_cadillac_seville.jpg

I 'upgraded' my old car for this beast. Its a Land Rover Defender 90 commercial (no seats in the back). I do use it as it was intended and have had stone, hay, cement blocks, engine parts, my three legged dog etc in the back and have had railroad sleepers, misc timber, land drainage pipes etc strapped to the top. I have used it to haul my donkeys around and bring in even more hay in the trailer. (Its a handy thing to pull up unwanted bushes as well.) The only 'poser' aspect would be the snorkel. It came with it and I just haven't forged any streams yet.

It is modified so that I have the option to have the clutch pressed in by pushing a button the gear lever but I have never used the modification. Theres enough room for my leg to manuver around. But I had installed just in case.

landrover1.jpg

Steve, I'm really jealous my wife will not let me swap our Freelander for a Defender. :blink:

landrover1.jpg

Steve, I'm really jealous my wife will not let me swap our Freelander for a Defender. :blink:

I had a Freelander for 2 years. It was a lovely car. But I, like you, wanted a Defender from the start. I had a old series 2 years ago and we had a love hate relationship. I loved it when it worked, and hated it when it didn't. When my two years were up the Freelander (To avail of the disabled driver grant we have to keep the car for at least 2 years) I had to prove I needed a Defender (which I did, and for the most part honestly) in order to trade the it for a defender. I picked up this yoke when it was 1 year old.

One thing I sometimes miss is the ride of the freelander which is a lot smoother. The defender is like driving a mixture of tank and school bus. But there is something about a defender...

OK here is me and SKully, yes I did it with the doc's ok. I drove her for the first time after surgery. Not bad for a week and couple days in a leg.

I miss it the shifting is aggravating but I will learn the kiltronic, now I just want to keep pipe leg on the floor board.

Keep smiling. I hope to highway drive her this week, will see.

Skully Cat

post-2131-1179284204_thumb.jpg