Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
lindajholt

Shoes

I'm sort of embarrassed to be bringing this up. I feel like I'm being a little bit vain about this and I know there are more important things to be concerned about. But, truly, I have missed dressing up sometimes and wearing a nice pair of heels. I've never been one to wear very high heels (since I'm already tall enough at 5' 7") but I am very tired of being stuck in running shoes all the time (especially since I haven't even been able to run in them yet - another topic for another day).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to wear heels and could give me some good tips about it. I recently got a new leg with a foot that allows me to adjust the angle with just the push of a button. It's really great because I can change heel heights now without having to go to the clinic for adjustments. But, I still haven't been successful with feeling comfortable in wearing heels.

One problem I have is the foot on my prosthesis always seems to be bigger, maybe wider, than my natural foot. This makes it really hard to find shoes that fit both feet well, especially if the shoes are a little tapered at the toe. I either have one shoe that is really loose or one that is almost impossible to squeeze into.

The other problem I have is wearing stockings over the prosthesis. I have a rubbery covering over this prosthesis that is supposed to make it look like skin but it's hard to slide a stocking over it because it's sort of sticky. Also, the socks I wear in my socket are very bulky and stick out the top, over my knee and show through under the stockings. It isn't very attractive. Dark, opaque hose hide them more but there is still the bulge from the socks above my knee. I don't know what to do about that.

I'm not looking to wear a mini skirt and spike heels but do I have to resign myself to wearing only long skirts and flat shoes? Well, any suggestions on wearing stockings and heels would be really helpful and greatly appreciated. It would be nice to be able to wear a dress and feel a little more feminine again. Thanks in advance.

Linda

RBK in Georgia, USA

Hi Lindajholt

I am thinking if the heel of the shoe isnt so curvy you could put a shoe on, and maybe the foot is too big, but I just got skin on mine and I can put a hose on, I wear tennis shoes everyday now, but there more comfortable, I have pretty pink boots I can wear, not a very big heel but I have had trouble getting those on because of the skin, but maybe a hose on the foot would help

I hope this helps you a little

Lesley

RBKA

Hi Linda,

I've been struggling with shoes forever. I have a standard SACH foot so heels are always a problem.

Couple of things I have done.

Asked for a foot that was a size smaller than my good one. This helped enormously.

Try wearing a Knee high stocking the same colour as what you are wearing. That way it's the knee high that gets carved up not the stocking you want actually wear.

I trim my socks if they are too long, but be careful they dont thread.

Dark stockings always make your legs look bigger and they tend to accentuate the shape of your prosthesis so I try to avoid them if I can. But some outfits demand dark stockings.

What you wear depends on your confidence to some degree. What you want to wear shouldn't be dictated by what others might think. Howver we are all human and although most of the time I don't care I do sometimes think about it.

Hope this helps a bit,

Cat

I actually tried to do that Marcus but they wouldn't spend the extra cash. Unless I accept standard everything I have to pay through the nose for it.

I gave up a long time ago lol, but thanks for the thought. :D

Cat

Hi Linda

Shoes always seem to be a problem. Many years ago when I started wearing limbs, I had wooden feet made and got them made to fit the shoes. Have been wearing conventional type feet for prob. last 20 or so years (am bilateral) and altho. had no toes, were generally size of the shoe I wanted, have always worn heels and the feet were set to the heel height I wanted, which only caused probs. when I needed new shoes and couldn't get the same heel height.

Have just changed to an elation foot, so I can wear different height heels, however so far have only got one leg so haven't been able to play around with it yet, although am not happy with the size of the ankle.

My limbs are covered with a foam cover, I usually put a knee high stocking over that to match colours and then either wear tights or knee high socks over that. Generally wear mid length/long skirts or trousers. I tend to pull the socks up over the knee, so there is not a ridge, but I suppose it depends what kind of suspension you use. I understand what you mean about the "sticky" cover, I tried it for a short time and didn't like it either, but there are different types of cover now on the market. I find it is mainly matter of trial and error what works and what doesn't.

Ann

Wow! I got some really great suggestions from you all. Thank you so much for the wonderful tips. Now, I have some things I can try out and, like with most things, I just have to see what works best for me.

I also know that I need to deal with the mental thing too. I have to get over the fear and feeling of self-consciouness that makes me think everyone will be able to tell that my leg is "different". That is going to be tougher than anything else. But, I'm encouraged now to get out there and give it a try.

Linda

RBK in Georgia, USA

Hi Linda, if your cosmesis is a little sticky when putting on stockings then try using a little talc, just put a little on you hands and rub all over your limb, this should help the stockings lip over your limb easier. Don't be tempted to use too much though.

My limb is covered with a foam and stocking material(not very realistic) but the liner of my pin limb is sticky and i use talc to make rolling it on over my stump easier.

Hey Linda, my feet are the exact opposite. My real foot is wider then my artifical one. In my situation I some times stuff the shoe with tissue or the packing paper shoes come in. How ever I don't think that would fix the problem you have.

I don't know if anyone here has suggested this yet..but is there a shop in your area that does shoe alterations. I took my shoes to my local shop and they were great. They padded the inside of my shoe so my artifical foot wouldn't slip and they made they made the shoe just a little smaller so the foot would fit. In the end it looked great, you could hardly tell the diffrence. The cost wasn't bad either which is always a bonus.

Another shoe tip I have, is the wonders of clear plastic bra straps. Backless shoes are a pain in the back side they always fall off. So attach a clear plastic strap( like the ones they come on strapless bras) and the shoe stays on.

omg.....Pixy I love you!!!!! :D :D :D :D

What a fantastic idea.

Pixy that's ingenious, I'm going bra strap shopping. My real foot is wider also. That's it Cat we are hitting the pavement to shoe heaven!

Do you get the shoe shop man to attach the clear bra strap? I think this is a fabulous idea.

no, I attached it myself it isn't really hard, I suppose you gout get a tailor to attach a starp to a backless shoe too if you wanted.

Pixy,

I have to know how you attach the strap yourself. I'm not very inventive, obviously!

well I loop the strap around the side of the sandle then use the clip to secure it . If I can get a picture I'll post it. Its hard to explain.

Hi

The shoe problem does drive me crazy especially when you cant find something with the same heel height. On backless shoes and sandals and of course shoes that are too big I use velcro, works really well.

Regars

Jenny South Africa