Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hi

I'm driving with my left foot. I was wondering whether u know portable accessories for driving w/ left that I can take with me to other cars (rented etc.)

Thanks,

Shahar

Shahar,

Do a search on Yahoo probably something like left foot eccelerator. What is your amputation ie: right BK, Right Ak.....

If you are a right bk I think you could drive without modifing your car. I have been driving my car for over 13 years with no adaptions and I am a RBK I also drive a stick shift and I'm looking into getting my Motor Cycle endorsement so I can ride my own Motor Cycle.. Hopefully a Harley Davidson.

Have you even tried to drive with the right foot? I would go on a country road or a not so populated area and try it out. You can do it.

Brenda

Hi h1Shahar,

I agree w/Brenda, she is always on point.

Also, I just had my car converted to a Left foot pedal. I too was driving w/my left foot, but decided to have it converted. The left foot pedal is removable and you take it out whenever someone else is driving your car. (Car wash or parking attendant) The car dealers will reimburse you for the cost of converting as well. Just call the car manufacturer for your car and ask if they reimburse for Disable conversions.

You asked if there was one that you could use in other cars-I have not heard of that kind. This system converts your car and can be removed, but only for your own car.

Do a Google search and type in Amputation Adaptive Device and many will come up, by area.

It's a little tricky, because we drive by instinct and are used to the gas pedal to the right of the brake and when you jam on your brakes, you still think right to left instead of left to right.

Hope this helps

Phyl

:D I have to say something...I don't know why since you just said it all, but...I drive since I lost my right leg, above my knee, and now it is so natural..I didn't have any change done on my car and as long as it is an automatic, I can drive anyone...I just cross my left leg over my artificial and drive with my left foot.

Good luck...and keep trying it will come for you too

Dea

I am an RBK, but in the last six monthts, I have went back to using my right foot to work the gas and, if in light traffic, the brakes. Never had any special modifications to the car. Just had to learn to get the left foot on the right pedel. Lot of braking and accelerating at the same time when I first started out.

Don't know if its an Illinois thing or not, but when I first got home and wanted to go somewhere and had no one to take me I carried a pool cue with me and used it to work the gas till I got the hang of using my left foot. I was telling this story to another fellow in the prosthetist's office and he said he keep two pool cues in his car.

--Bill

I'm with Greenthumb. I never even considered having an adaption done to my car (nobody said I could anyway...oh wait, this is Africa :P). I use the 'wrong' foot for the gas and brake. Didn't take too much getting used to.

Athough I drove standard auto's for a few months being a RAK, my wife noticed spinal twisting in my profile! She is an osteopath. An adaption cost's a few hundred pounds and is paid for by Access to work in the UK! Not worth irriverable spine damage for a few quid!

PJ :)

Athough I drove standard auto's for a few months being a RAK, my wife noticed spinal twisting in my profile! She is an osteopath. An adaption cost's a few hundred pounds and is paid for by Access to work in the UK! Not worth irriverable spine damage for a few quid!

Access to work???? wtf is that? never heard of it... so I did a search and found it... thing is, unless I drove for a living, I can't see how they will pay for my car to be converted...

I should imagine that if your job description requires you to hold a valid UK driving licence then it could be argued that you do drive for a living. In addition if your workplace is off the beaten track and there are no available public transport options then Access to Work will pay up to 100% of your transport costs. Obviously the cheapest way of doing this would be to pay to have your car adapted rather than paying for taxis. Of course if you've been driving your car unadapted for a long time then I should imagine that they would decline to pay for an adpation as you've already proved that you can safely control the car with the standard fittings.

Please, oh please don't drive a car without a left-foot gas pedal if you're a right-side AKA! That's way up there with hopping in the list of no-no's as far as future health issues is concerned. Hopping will bust your knee and crossing your foot over to operate the gas will twist your spine.

There are "portable" left-foot gas pedal kits you can install on your car and unistall when you're getting a new one and they can be slid out of the way when someone wants to use the right-side gas pedal. They're not expensive, either. I have a couple. I got mine near Boca Raton, FL for around $200 each and between them, they've been in seven cars already.

Ian, I have used Access to work

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Pa...le/AccesstoWork

for adaptions to four of my cars, they also looked to make changes to my work station I am a civil servant. If you need a car for work they will pay for the adaption, there is no time period Muz, but you would have to make a case for the change. :D

Use them there an entitlement for disabled people set up by the Office of Works and Pensions

Cheers Paul...

Laura, don't panic, I drive relatively little, but have done so for over 20 years without adaptations, in many different cars. When ever I have my back seen by physios, doctors or prosthetists they usually comment on my amputation has not had any adverse effect on it, so I'm not that worried tbh.

By the way, I hop too, but again, everything in moderation... and I have other reasons for hopping...

I've been driving a standard automatic for 25 years without ever having any adaption.

I use my amp side (right) for the accelerator and my good foot on the brakes.

Have never had any dramas.

Oh.......I also like to hop :huh:

I am RBK and have always driven an un-modified manual car, it can be a bit tricky in some small cars where the pedals are a bit close together...

Mike