Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Stephen

how do people beat the snow?

hi i have been above knee amputee for 3 years and 3 mths and my snow walking skills are zero!! any tips how to beat it? or is a case just stay in? i tried to go out earlyer but my false leg was doing a micheal jackson crazy dance

any tips?

Hi Stephen,

Not heard from you for a while. The only advice I can give you is move to Cheshire, not one flake here, :(

Hi Stephen:

I live in the centre of Canada and deal with arounf 6 months of this crap every year.

As a bilateral aka, I use a set of canes with a larger tip on them. This helps to a degree.

This year, I am using a set of cross country hiking shoes by Columbia. The soles are VERY grippy and are made up of two types of soft rubber. This year, to date, i have not had a slip unless I was drinking too much! These soles seem not to freeze as last years running shoes did.

ED

Hi Pam sorry ive been a bit bizzy recently :blink:

no snow? its well going for it here in Kent Today! i love the snow and i dont want to stay in watching it :D i basicly took a broom with me outside and used it as support me when walking and to sweep the unwanted snow out of my way if needed! it worked quite well! a few slips but never actually went right over!

my dogs loved it :)

Hi Ed wow i saw your profile! :rolleyes: yeah i have a simular issue with the person which drove into me! namly Kevin Challis in the British Army "Still to this date there has been no Apologe to me or even a card while i was in hospital! How can people be so spinless? its behoned me! anyway buddy dont let that man stop you doing your bits in life! as its too short!

how long ago was the acident? it must be hard with two aka?

What's snow again? :rolleyes:

To Stephen:

To answer your question - I am now two years old. My story is posted in the "everybody's story" part of this site. I also try to run a couple of continuos threads called "the adventures of ED" and "the art of being bilateral" also elsewhere. Have a look if you are interested. It will give you a better sense of what I am.

ED

Not a lot of snow where I am in the south of England either, just snowy/sleety flurries.

I was fairly young when I became a limb user, and I've got to say that as a teenager the icy weather never bothered me and I hardly ever slipped, however nowadays I am quite careful and avoid going out if its very slippery. Maybe just a confidence thing.

Having said that though had my first fall in a long time a couple of days ago going down an outside step and there was no ice at all. Am trying to break in a new leg, this was the first time I had gone down a step with it and it just didn't seem to flow as I had expected. No real damage done though, just a few aches and pains, could have been worse.

Ann

Further to your thread Stephen:

I currently have c leg units.

In snow of any depth, I "kick" these things out and plant them like I used to do with my old Mauch units.

In deep snow, my canes, are not good. I am looking at having a set modified so that there will be a 5" "cupped down" circle on each so that they will hopefully act as kind of a ski pole.

With my old Mauch units, at times, I would lock them so that I did not have to bother worrying about collaspe (after all I wasn't running).

ED

Hi Ed

Yeah i have heard of them c legs! with a inteligent computer gizmo!

right my friend i am going to look at these posts as i would like to know more!!

all the best ;) ;) ;)

For those who live in areas that receive small levels of snow, I thought I would mention Sir Douglas Bader's remedy...............

After encountering his first snow and finding out that he could not walk without crashing, Bader ended up wearing his socks OVER his shoes to give him some traction!

ED

I agree. I live in the North East which used to get loads of snow until my family moved up here. I think we're anti-snow magnets or something. I love snow but I don't think I'm ever going to have to worry about it being mega heavy.

Bex

For those who live in areas that receive small levels of snow, I thought I would mention Sir Douglas Bader's remedy...............

After encountering his first snow and finding out that he could not walk without crashing, Bader ended up wearing his socks OVER his shoes to give him some traction!

ED

Can't believe this was Douglas Bader's idea ED, I thought it was mine.

I live in Southern England, we don't get a lot of snow these days, but when my first two children were small did get quite a bit, and I remember walking one to school with the little one in the pushchair, the pushchair was quite helpful in the snow, and I also used to get a pair of old socks and I used to tie them round my shoes. It works up to a point, and helpful on short walks.

I agree. I live in the North East which used to get loads of snow until my family moved up here. I think we're anti-snow magnets or something. I love snow but I don't think I'm ever going to have to worry about it being mega heavy.

Bex

Who knows this year Bex, North Hampshire and London have already seen snow this week, first time I think in October since 1934.

Bex

Who knows this year Bex, North Hampshire and London have already seen snow this week, first time I think in October since 1934.

I hope not. Ann, do you remember Portsmouth harbour freezing over?

Bex

Would that be the year of possibly 1962 or 1963, we did have quite a bad year I understand, got to admit can only just remember it myself but my mother tells me it started snowing on boxing day and didn't stop until something like March or April. Goodness knows how everyone managed with that amount of snow for so long, now we just get a smattering of snow here and everything comes to a halt. In my childhood we had very little in the way of heating in the house anyway, just a coal fire and oil stove upstairs and the windows used to be frozen inside and out - but somehow we all survived.

Bex

Would that be the year of possibly 1962 or 1963, we did have quite a bad year I understand, got to admit can only just remember it myself but my mother tells me it started snowing on boxing day and didn't stop until something like March or April. Goodness knows how everyone managed with that amount of snow for so long, now we just get a smattering of snow here and everything comes to a halt. In my childhood we had very little in the way of heating in the house anyway, just a coal fire and oil stove upstairs and the windows used to be frozen inside and out - but somehow we all survived.

I live in the Foothills of the Adirondack Mountains and even with Global Warming we get a fair amount of snow--in fact it was the Valentines Day Snowstorm last year that started me on this bizarre journey by falling in my drive way! That said I have used for several years --due to other balance issues---- some metal CANE ICE GRIPPERS. These go over the end of your cane OR walker legs OR crutch tips and flip out of your way indoors but flip and LOCK down when you go outside on ice, snow or slippery grass. These are available from the VERMONT COUNTRY STORE, some Walmarts, and some pharmacys. You might have to ask them to order these for you but they are in drug store catalogs. They cost about $6.00 or so I think. Attach with two bolts that pass thru the clamp assembly so NO drilling or modifying of your aids is needed. And in summer you just take them off! One word of advice---on very shiny hard surfaces INCLUDING extremely frozen ice--you knw the kind I mean, too hard to chip away at---do NOT use these alone! The sharp points that grip thru soft snow and slush etc. will then turn into ice skate blades and you wll be a much less graceful version of Dorothy Hammil. Well I have been in any case! When you go indoors FLIP THEM UP and make sure your rubber tip is SNOW FREE before setting it on the slick floor or you can go flying! This becomes second nature in a very short time. I don't like to use these indoors at home as they can be grabby of things like the bottoms of chairs and sheets so I have a set on my "outdoor" cane and a regular cane in the house. Will be putting a set on a walker for this winter until I know how my arti leg "goes" in the snow. MY dream is to get the last kid thru college--only ONE MORE YEAR TO GO!!!! and move to a warmer climate say North Carolina to a true one floor house with an attached double in and out door garage. And NO SNOW!!!!!!! If any one has a hard time finding these or is from across the pond---I don't know if they are sold in England etc.----let me know and I will help you get some. Halleycomet

Locking the knee (eg on the Mauch) helps a lot

I'm in central Canada and like Eddie, use large cane tips (crutch tips) and if it's icy I use the hinged ice tips. I make sure that my shoes have a good tread and a heal rather than just a flat sole. Flat soles tend to slip out from under me more. My biggest problem, as I'm sure that Eddie will agree, is coming inside from the snow with wet canes. I have to be careful to ensure that they are dry before walking on tile and watching for water from other peoples shoes on the floor. If I'm entering a store, I get off the tiled aisle and walk on the carpeted sections as they are more 'slip-proof'.

I have been using these for the last couple of years: -

http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/

Can’t say that I have found anything better.

Hi again Mick

Had just finished thanking you for info you gave on hiking sticks etc and tellling you about skiing at Xmas when I saw this post about the yaktrax. They look great and so I have ordered a pair for help getting around in the snow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Tracy

I have been using these for the last couple of years: -

http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/

Can’t say that I have found anything better.

Hi again Mick

Had just finished thanking you for info you gave on hiking sticks etc and tellling you about skiing at Xmas when I saw this post about the yaktrax. They look great and so I have ordered a pair for help getting around in the snow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Hope you have a great time with the skiing, its something I haven’t done for years , and to be totally honest I don’t think that I could now as I wasn’t that good to start with.

However I did attempt to have a go at snow boarding last winter (with arty leg on) and the best I did was about 30 meters on a very gentle slope before I went over, but I had a very good but knackering day.

I had a bit more success when I turned my hand to snow kiting and was really getting the hang of it , then the snow melted so that was the end of that. However I was doing it on flat fields so I don’t think that I would have been as good on hilly or bumpy ground.

If it snows and settles this year I will have another go.

Anyway have a good time and let us know how you get on.

Take care Mick

Hi all,

While we are on about snow, we have had a light dusting up in Northumberland and I have had the pleasure of having a couple of day hikes out in it. One at a place called batailshieldhaug (I think).

Link: - http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/mi...ug%20in%20snow/

And another at a place known as wanney crags. Link: -

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/mi...wanney%20crags/

Thank n take care Mick.

Hi all,

While we are on about snow, we have had a light dusting up in Northumberland and I have had the pleasure of having a couple of day hikes out in it. One at a place called batailshieldhaug (I think).

Link: - http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/mi...ug%20in%20snow/

And another at a place known as wanney crags. Link: -

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/mi...wanney%20crags/

Thank n take care Mick.

I use grippers that slip onto my shoes. I take them off inside stores :rolleyes: We have more ice than snow here in Oklahoma.

For this winter..............2008-2009, I purchased a new pair of Columbia hikers called "Bear Trackers". They are the best I have ever come across:

-incredible grip:.........haven.t slipped once so far........outside or inside

-look good:..............bought black ones...........liked them so much, went back and bought additional sets

-extremely light:............the lightest shoe I have ever worn

-additional cushion at the heel:...........for me this makes a great addition.

Would recommend them to anyone.

ED

You can get special add ons for your shoes that have spikes in the bottom of them. You basically clip them onto your normal shoes and they give loads of support in the snow and the ice. My friend in Canada uses them all the time, and they work great for him. You will fall if you use them on paving slab though :tongue: