Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jules

Flip Flops

Hi everyone, I was just wondering whether there is anyone out there who has succeeded in wearing flip flops....

I've gone past wanting to wear heels and am resigned to the fact that I'll wear no more than 21/4 inch heels.

But I long to wear little thong flip flops, all help greatly appreciated!

Hi Jules

Maybe velcro will help to put on the back of the foot and to keep the flip flop on?

I hope this helps.

Lesley

Yes Jules, Lesley is right. Velcro seems to work.

I have never tried this myself, but have read about it before. You can get some sticky back velcro that you cut out, and stick one side to your foot and the other to your flip flop. This should ensure that the flip flop stays on.

As I've said, I haven't quite reached the point of wearing flip flops myself yet, but have heard many people sing the praises of velcro!!

Let us know how you get on.

I wore some flip flop type shoes, think they were more sndlas with a starp around the back, I also stuck some double sided sticky tape on the bottom of my foot. Didnt work all that well but will pay more attention 2 doing it properly next time.

OMG....Lesley. Velcro, i never thought of that. What an excellent idea.

I was, without much luck if i may add, trying to stick the thong part to the toes with clear tape. Never thought of sticking the heal.

We live and learn :blink:

The best sandles that I have found so far are the fisherman type with a toe.

Thanks all, I think I'll try velcro next. I've tried pritt pads, but they didn't work that well!

Will let you know how I get on!

I use a clear plastic bra strap on backless shoes. Works like a charm, just attach the clear strap and the shoe will not fall off.

I have thought about trying velcro but was afraid the sticky on the bottom of the foot might mess it up (the foot). I

Jules, if you try it, I'd love to know how it works!

I wear some really cute sparkly flip flops. I got my prosthetist to cut between the first and second toes for the toe bar and glue velcro to the bottom of my foot. It works ok ... after a while the velcro loses it's grip though and you have to replace it.

Hey Kim,

Does the velcro mess up the "skin" on the bottom of your foot?

Wow I am glad some people thought it was a great idea!!!!! I dont know how it works so if you all try maybe I can too,

Lesley

Just a quick addition to the velcro idea. There's two kinds of Velcro, the one used in clothing and a heavier duty industrial Velcro. I'd guess that the latter would be better for holding flip/flops (thongs) as it has a stronger adhesive as well as grippier hooks and should last longer. I used the stronger one to fasten a small camera to the side of my m/c helmet and it seemed to hold really well even at high speed.

Well, I am not an expert in this area to any degree.

I am stuck with the shoes I function in. However......................

a female friend of mine (bilat bk) changes her shoes all the time. Come spring and summer she is always in sandals.

I find this ineresting that she is soooooooooooo concerned in her footwear....................but maybe this is a female thing!!

ED

I find this ineresting that she is soooooooooooo concerned in her footwear....................but maybe this is a female thing!!

Yes ED, it most certainly IS a female thing!!! B)

I don't think I could live with only one pair of shoes :rolleyes:

Hi everyone, I was just wondering whether there is anyone out there who has succeeded in wearing flip flops....

I've gone past wanting to wear heels and am resigned to the fact that I'll wear no more than 21/4 inch heels.

But I long to wear little thong flip flops, all help greatly appreciated!

But Heather Mills McCartney wears much bigger heels. As for sandals, I think you're best off with Birkenstocks with ankle straps.

But Heather Mills McCartney wears much bigger heels.

Yes, but it's not the difficulties in the heel sizes that we are discussing here.

It's the fact that flip flops are backless (and usually kept on by using ones toes), so therefore the artificial foot is not secure within the flip flop/s.

But Heather Mills McCartney wears much bigger heels.

Yes, but it's not the difficulties in the heel sizes that we are discussing here.

It's the fact that flip flops are backless (and usually kept on by using ones toes), so therefore the artificial foot is not secure within the flip flop/s.

I know; I was responding to the first ever one. I can't wear backless shoes; I need ankle support. If the shoes aren't flat sandals, it has to be trainers or solid boots for me.

TO cat;

I don't think I could live with only one pair of shoes

Your words kind of pricked at me. As a result - I went out and have found a new pair of leathers as well as a pair of sandles!! That work!!!!!!

TX

ED

I use a clear plastic bra strap on backless shoes.

I'm quite a modern thinking guy, I am in touch with my feminine side, I have 2 daughters & 3 step daughters, I wear pink on occasion, I will even listen to Dido!

:blink: But I won't tie my sadel on with a bra strap!! :unsure:

Call me old fashion :D

Paul

Well I tried the blackmail thing Marcus.....

He told me to keep his wife and kids :unsure::blink::blink::blink:

What do I do next?

Hey Ed glad you got some new shoes. Next we need to see you in heels :D :D

Threaten to make him modify your shoes to work with your foot.

Marcus, that sounds like cobblers to me ;) :P :lol:

My grandfather was a AKA due to an accident when he was 13 (not sure which leg, I was 6 months old when he died). He became a bootmaker (cobbler) so he made his own shoes. He used to fix his own prosthesis too, watch out Marcus ;) ! My mother never saw him without his prosthesis. He had two prostheses, and would just pop one up on the bench when it needed work.

Mind you, he didn't have a C-leg :lol: ! Or I guess he'd have become a programmer as well ... :D

-K