Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Pixy

Pets

Okay crazy topic but I've had a head cold the last few days and i've been confined to bed , so no computer till now.

Any one on the boards have an amputee animal living with them? I've often thought it would be nice to adopt a three legged cat or dog. It seems disabled creatures often get put to sleep because they are mis-shapen or are more expencive.

For any one who has an amputee animal; do you feel you relate better to this animal? and I'm also wondering what are the problems you face with this furry family member?

I used to have two hermit crabs that were amputees( yes I warned you in a previous post I would find some way to talk about my babies.) Not to worry neither died they are both healthy as ever. Hermit crabs molt about every 18 months, so if one was to loose a limb it would grow back with the new exoskeleton.

Blue( adopted from a school) lost her back left leg at her first home but grew it back two months later during molt.

Hawthorne is still a below knee amputee. His leg was clipped off when he was shipped to the petstore. I first worried he would be bullied by the other crabs..but woe on the crab that messes with him.

I felt kinda good bringing these creatures to my home, no one else wanted a crab that was missing limbs even though the amputation was temporary.

If I ever come across an amputee animal once I have my own home I will deffinatly offer it a loving place to live.

Hi Pixy

Our family has an amputee bird! Named PeggySue. She doesnt have feet, but little stumps. I love her!!!!!

Lesley

Hi Pixy,

My dog isn't missing any limbs, but recently has gone blind. She is in the process of learning to find her way around, which is fine if we don't leave things out of place. It is very sad to see an animal deteriorate like she has, but while she is in no pain, we will keep her for as long as we can (she also has arthritis in her hips, which she has medication for).

When I came out of hospital, after having my op, she didn't seem to know me, which was a bit upsetting. We came to the conclusion that it was because I smelled different, I know this sounds very strange, but I had a bad infection in my leg, which didn't smell very nice (that was an understatement :rolleyes: )and, of course, when I came out of hospital it had all disappeared, so she must have thought I was a different person. Perhaps I am reading too much into this and she was just sulking because I had left her for a couple of weeks, :lol:

You must have the most original pets on the forum, any other unusual pets around folks??

Hi Pixy,

hm, wouldn't it be nice if we could molt and our limbs would grow back :rolleyes: Research could learn a lot from your little buddies, Blue and Hawthorne. They sound so cute :lol:

There is a cat without his back leg who belongs to a neighbour. The neighbour doesn't seem too interested in him anymore since he was hit by a car and the back leg was amputated. :blink: GRRRRR. Anyway, he is in my place a lot. I've sort of adopted him. Yes, i guess there is a special conection. I call him Long John. I think his real name is Mozart :blink: And he moves around really well. No stopping LJ! :D

hi

this is an interesting thread and I thought you would like to hear about my in-laws' cat who lost a back leg after being run over. They thought he would have to be put down but the vet said as he was a relatively young cat he would adapt really well and he has. He is my favourite out of their cats but not 'cos of his missing limb just 'cos he is the most gorgeous - with a lovely character and temperament. He manages fine - he gets into as much mischief as the others do . :P :P

kim

Of course it counts, Mike. I'm sure Teddy had a tough time getting thru this terrible tragedy in his life. But I bet you were always there to encourage him and help him get back on his feet....uh, foot.

Crabs as pets! :lol: Thats fantastic!

Ive always wanted a pet Lobster... like pinchy from the Simpsons ;)

Alas I only have a cat (shes in my avatar)... at the moment anyway!

One of my favourite books since I was a kid is "Three Legged Friends, and other animals in a vets life, by Catlin Barber. A wonderful book that I highly recommend :)

No I don't have any animals that are disabled. I watched a show last night that had a 2 legged pig it walked really well on the two feet it did have (the front ones). Pretty interesting to watch him walk holding his butt up in the air. The owner raised pigs to sell but he said he would keep this one.

good topic !!

My cat Mylo (that unfortunately passed away a few years ago) only had three legs and he was the most handsome boy I had ever seen ! He was able to do everything that any other cat could. I've had friends that have had cats with eyes, legs or tails missing

...and my darling little pusscat Ember is almost blind...does that count? Si thinks its hilarious as she can't see our kitten coming and often gets swiped over the head by her. But she's been almost blind since a kitten and we've only just found out - 9 years on !

When i was younger I worked in a Veterinary practice and met several dogs that had wheels instead of legs due to back or severe leg injuries. We lived close to a beach and when walking my dog in the morning, i'd often see this one Jack Russell bombing around the sand on his wheels!

...... Just goes to show that having a disability doesn't need to stop anyone from doing anything

x

My dog is nuts.....does that count? :blink:

Cat - only if he's got both of them, lol!!!!!! :o

Ummmmmmmm......nope he's an it

Did somebody say doughnuts???? :blink:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Si,

How does he smell then - I know b....y awful. :D

Pam, I toyed with the idea of playing with the dog's nuts but thought better of it :D :D

Ummmm, is that legal??! :lol: :P

:ph34r:

Two guys were walking along a street and saw a dog.....errrrr.....ummmmm.....licking himself :D

The first guy said....."I wish I could do that"

His mate answered....."I'd pat him first and try to be his friend"