Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ann

New Parking Brake - Renault Scenic

Hi

Wondered if anyone has driven a new Renault Scenic with the new parking brake, with hand controls. Am currently driving an automatic Scenic with handcontrols and am looking to replace later this year, on looking at the new models it seems that they now come with no handbrake as such. Instead they have an automatic parking brake with a switch on the right hand side of the dashboard. My hand controls are also on right side, and I have concerns for hill stops/starts etc.

The salesman said they were very popular but had not sold to anyone with handcontrols, he is going to speak to the mobility people who install the controls and get back to me next week.

Hi Ann

I've never driven a Renault, but I have always driven with hand controls.

Tell me, how does the automatic brake work? Does it automatically come on when the car stops for a certain period of time? Or, do you have to lean forward to switch (on the dashboard) the brakes on? If you do have to press a switch on the dashboard, how will you do that? Are your hands big? :)

I've always understood that (legally) if you use handcontrols, you should always have one hand on the steering knob. That would be pretty tricky, if you needed to keep the brake depressed with the other hand, whilst you're switching on the parking brake, wouldn't it? Or am I being a bit dim?

Lizzie

Hi Lizzie

Thats my problem, both controls will be on the same side, and I have quite small hands really. The salesman is getting back to me tomorrow after talking to the mobility people so will let you know what he says.

Ann

Tell me, how does the automatic brake work? Does it automatically come on when the car stops for a certain period of time? Or, do you have to lean forward to switch (on the dashboard) the brakes on? If you do have to press a switch on the dashboard, how will you do that? Are your hands big? :)

By pure coincidence I have been looking at the Grand Scenic today as I am looking to upgrade my Scenic Fiji in the next couple of months.

The automatic parking brake enagages immediately the moment the ignition turns off. It releases the moment you accelerate to drive off again. It can also be engaged manually using a botton on the dashboard for example on hill starts or waiting in traffic.

I'm assuming that this is an electric switch or button. If so would it not be possible to have it resited to a different area of the dashboard or even incorporated into the hand controls. There's usually a few redundant switch cutouts in most cars unless you have all the bells and whistles fitted.