Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Nestudas

Cycling

Can anyone offer any advice regarding cycling.

Pedalling is OK when I am saddled but whenever I try and stand and pedal my knee on my prot side seems to fly forward and give way.

I may not have explained that too well. Basically I would like to know if any BKA's are able to pedal out of the saddle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Rob,

i use something similar to these pedal clips. The foot can't slip out and if, in emergency, you need to get out quick it's possible too.

post-17-1111594967.jpg

Here's the one i use:

I keep the strap around the top loose so there's just enough hold to keep you from slipping out but loose enough to get out quick

post-17-1111595243.jpg

Hi Kaz,

I knew I didn't explain it very well. I use toe clips as well but its not the foot I have the problem with it seems to be around the knee. It doesn't seem to rotate properly and just gives way (falls forward) when I get to a certain point. I should add that medically and functionally my knee is fine.

Can you pedal ok when you are out of the saddle (not seated)?

Ahhh, OK.....

yes, the knee gives way slightly with me as well, yet i'm able to control it the few times i do peddle off the saddle (going up hills, for example). I'm sure it has something to do with the strenth and length of the calf muscles which varies depending on how long your stump is. I still have about 15-20cms which allows me more control. Not sure what you can do about it. Maybe someone else has some more info for you.

I'm sure it has something to do with the strenth and length of the calf muscles which varies depending on how long your stump is. I still have about 15-20cms which allows me more control.

That may very well explain things, Kaz, as I have a very short residual limb.

Hope I can work something out as I look very unfit when I have to get off and push uphill (very hilly where I live) :D

Rob,

Just keep on trying it, you may find that you just need to develop a slightly different technique, I used to cycle quite a bit and it just took a fair bit of time to get half way decent at it, my stump is pretty poor too I think it is your thigh muscles that are the important bit in the process though. Sorry can't be of much help...

Mike

Hey Rob,

The best idea might be just to keep at it and add strength to your Quadricep muscles. They play a huge part in knee stability so it might just be that they need to bulk up a bit which is what the bike will do for you.

Good luck with it,

Cat

Thanks Cat and Mike

I think you both could be right. I have a terribly wasted thigh and perhaps I am expecting just to be able to do it without any real work.

I shall keep pedalling.

Hey Rob,

Sorry for my late reply. When I was a kid I rode my bike everywhere sometimes my bike rides would be up to about 30 miles. I could ride sitting down and standing up never used any kind of toe clips I would just look down from time to time to make sure my foot was on the peddal. I also learned how to peddal with just my sound leg so that if my prosthesis came off the peddal I could still peddal a couple of times until I got the prosthesis adjusted again. One of the things that I found helpful was if I put my foot on the peddal more on the heel than the toe. As for the quads I agree they really need to be strong but don't forget the glutes and your core that will help you a lot as well.

Rob,

To begin with I think I used my "good" leg more than my artificial one, with toe clips you can kind of "pull" the pedal round any particular parts of the cycle that you have difficulty with, I'm sure if you keep at it you'll be flying up those hills in no time, I wish I'd kept at it now, maybe I wouldn't be such a fat B@stard!

Mike

The toe clips for me have been heaven sent :) Especially when you really want to cycle and not have to worry about slipping (very important for mountain biking)

Yes, the good leg takes over usually in any sport. The pros leg will never be as strong. But keep at it Rob. You'll get there eventually if you want to :)

There's a song that comes to mind: 'you can get it if you really want it , but you must try, try and try...' hehe

I'm with Marcus and Brenda.

I've only ever used clips once and managed to have a great little crash cos I couldn't get my foot out of the clips. Putting my foot square on the pedal works ok and I always have a "sense" as to where my foot is. Same with driving. I can kinda "sense" where my foot is on the acceelerator. I guess that just comes from having it for so long, it's more a part of me than I realise.

I've had some great stacks though when my foot had come off and hit the ground during the push down phase...... lol :rolleyes:

It's each to his/her own whether they use toe-clips or not. Whatever one feels more comfortable with. Depends on what terrain you cycle on, what kind of pedals, slippery soles, etc.

I was in a bad accident 3 years ago cycling down a rough mountainside as i wasn't using them, so ....there's never a black or white answer. Every situation is different. And for cycling up hill and off saddle it only makes sense to me to use them keeping the buckle loose, just to allow the shoe to press securely against the front as the weight is being pushed forward. I guess it boils down to common sense.

hiiya evveevryonees . Ok , I havveenneted bben on a bicyycle siince my injury but i uuuseded to do lotes of mounttain biking riiding and am looking to doingnessing thhat agggain soon . I haveing to aggre with Kaz here abbout the toe clipping thhingiies bbecauuse they do hhold ing you foot iin pplacenness vvery weel andnif you adjjusststing tham rightnesly , they ccan be snug yyet loose ness ennouugh to gget oout of thhem fastingly whhne you neeednessing to . Thhe purpoose of tooe clliups arre acttualy allsoness to doo soometthing elleseness too .

With toe cllips , yyouu now ccan uusing MOORE or your leg musscles to alos gget MORERER peddllingpowerssnesses throuugh MORE of the revooluttion . A feew yyears ago Shimmmano invventeded a main bucyycle chainn crannck thhye called BIO-PPACE whhich was not roounnd at all bbut oval shhapped to gettingness mmore poower thhroough one revooloutiion of the peddleeing. With a tooe clipping thin gie you can noow gettingn powernesses as up LIFFTING up oont eh eppddelle to annd noot jjust froom the down pushingness. .

Kaz , whhat kkind of biike you hhaveing ? I hhave a moountiianbike frrom TREK ccalled the Fuel 90 . I am wantiing to getting a beettter oone whhen i geting riinniing aggain.

Hey Kaz....no one could ever accuse me of having any common sense :D :D :D :D

And if it was so common wouldn't everyone have it?

Cat :P

Hey MJ,

i have 2 TREK bikes too :) The mountain bike is quite old now (about 6 years ).

I like TREK. They have good quality products. Both bikes are so light weight.

The oval chain crank concept from Shimano sounds very interesting. I haven't seen that yet.

Yep, you'll be up and running (cycling :D ) before you know it.

Oh Cat, to answer your question. Let's call it wishful thinking!! :D

Hiyya Kaz , Sorry for forgetingetiing to teling youu morrer abbouut that bio-ppace bicycling thiingie . Andyyway , hhere is a pictture of what it lookses llike . Theere are difereeent kinds for different riding bbikes and for diifferent tyypeses of surfaacces to . Yiou shhoulded hhowevveer alos be mmaking sure that your rear ggears are mmatched up foor this becuase that is totoallingly immpoortannant .

post-17-1112020943.jpg

Does it have some kind of tensioning or am I just being a bit thick? I'm imagining that as the sprocket revolves it will have alternatively more and less tension at certain spots.

Hiyya MUZZ , no ,, thherre is noo tennsioon syystemm thhingie for this bio pcae crancking wheeel . Thhe wayy it woorkses is that a nnormal crrannck will oonly giiving you poower to a ceertain point bbefore youu needding to uusiing your oother lleeg to mmakingnes power . Wiith this bio ppcae thhingie . you can mmaking ppower uusinng moorer of the revoloutttion oof your peddeling . Wiith the using nees of the tooe cllips that Kaz is tallking abbbout , this thhen is a toollaingly awwsoome thhingie beecaause you can using LOTS and lOTTS and LOTTS of the peddeel revoloultion to mmaking ppower from the crancking wheeling thhingie .

One problem I have is that my right leg doesn't bend well (actually, my right knee doesn't straighten, probably due to botched knee surgery years ago, so the prosthesis is set up to adjust for it. If you've ever had to deal with flexion contraction, you'll understand.)

As a result, my bicycle is set up with one crank shorter than the other. I use toe clips and very low gears when riding... as long as I can keep breathing, I can get up a hill. Anyway, make sure you have low gears - it's always better to "spin" in low gears rather than stand on the pedals - most people pedal too slowly and so put too much strain on their knees.

When I lived in California I used to ride a lot, but my beautiful aluminium bike was stolen the week before I moved back to Australia... My current bike has a custom made frame, fairly lightweight, but I haven't used it much over the past few years - Sydney traffic is crazy, and there are too many hills where I live.

Cycling is one of the things I dream of being able to do again if/when I have the amputation. Id be an AKA - is that a possible dream?

Dawn well not sure, cause my good leg is quite crappy but I love it-problem is with the knee; I did try but my knee would wanna lock and totally launch me right over the handle bars. Now that's not fun my friend. Maybe if you took off the pedal for the amp leg it would be ok but the other leg would get really really tired doing all the work.

I did give heap a good go though.

Mel.

Was one of my dreams too.