Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Afet

How do you tell a 6 year old that...

I read about this tragic story today. :(

This is a subject that's close to my heart, as the bacterial infection that I had which caused me to have septicaemia and lose both my legs, was similar in nature to what this poor little girl has.

I was very lucky to leave hospital with both my hands intact. It was very close - my fingertips had turned black too - but I was thankfully spared them. Little Olivia Clarke is not so lucky. :(

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtm.../06/ixhome.html

Edited to add: If you have trouble viewing the link, press the 'Ctrl' button whilst clicking on the link. It has something to do with blocking pop-ups.

Oh my God, how on earth do you begin to explain to that poor child.

I have a 5yr old daughter and I cannot begin to think how I would tell her even with my own "experience".

Maybe it would be an idea to write to express our thoughts and offer of any assistance both now and in the future. Would this be an intrusion, I don't know.

Rob, I think it's a wonderful idea and though it's hard to say for certain I think this family could well benefit a HUGE amount from contact with us lot for all the reasons we already know about how supportive this forum is. I will HAPPILY drop them a line on our collective behalfs not least because they will probably end up at the same Rehab as me if everyone thinks its a good idea and I would also like to do a sponsored ride on my hoss to help with the fundraising, especially as I don't live a million miles from Cannock anyway, so anyone who wants to can email me either to sponsor me or even dare i say it...join in :D

That poor little girl.... :( My heart is with her when she wokes up after this operation.

Afet, i guess it was luck in unluck that you were spared your hands. Phew! I can imagine this story effects you strongly.

Afet , I ccan feeling gurl the emotiio0ns of this strooy as you postted it . This is sooooooooooooooooo suuper sadnnessing .. really doon''t knowing how to reesppodiing acctualyiingly .

Afet

I am totally speechless about this poor little girl, I wouldnt blame her for not talking about it...All she wants to do is return to normal and I hope everything turns out alright

Lesley

This is sadness beyond comprehension. God bless them all.

Very tragic, don't know what to say really :(

For those of us who arrived here from accidents we at least have either someone else or our own stupidity/carelessnes to focus our anger on. What do you do for a totally random thing like this? :rolleyes:

Maybe it would be an idea to write to express our thoughts and offer of any assistance both now and in the future. Would this be an intrusion, I don't know.

I am actually going to write to the family myself too. Just so they know that they are not completely alone in what they are going through. It must be devastating for everyone in Olivia's family.

On a personal note, I know that looking down at my own legs that had deep necrosis, it was all so hopeless. You KNOW in yourself that not much can be done to fix them. The sight of my legs, at that time, is etched onto my memory now, forever.

I will definitely tell them about this forum too and also give them all our love.

I asked my Mum how she would have reacted if we had been inundated with letters of support when this was happening to me. She said that it would have touched her.

So, I am sure that if any of us were to write to them, it wouldn't be an intrusion.

Cazzy, if you were to see the family at your limb centre, would you please give them our love and tell them that we are thinking of them? I would really appreciate that. Good luck on your efforts to raise some money for Olivia. I have a feeeling that they will have no trouble at all raising the money needed, with all the kind people that have pledged to do something. :)

As an amputee that didn't loose my limb to any horrific sickness or accident I can't relate to the pain people go through that do but I can relate to the everyday stuff we have to go through. I can't imagine ever having to tell either one of my children that they would be loosing a hand/s and or leg/s. I do sympathize with the family and will keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing this story Afet. Cazzy I know you'll do an awesome job raising money to help Olivia and her family.

Cazzy, if you were to see the family at your limb centre, would you please give them our love and tell them that we are thinking of them? I would really appreciate that.

I most definitely will Afet, for certain. And I sure echo all the sentiments already expressed here that it is just so hard to even imagine what this must be like for Olivia and her family.

On a perhaps TOO practical note at this point I have to say that it also dismays me greatly that the NHS seem to be offering less than they could to Olivia-I mean WHY on earth can she not HAVE myoelectrics (or however it's spelt). This seems really bloody UNFAIR given that I know the Birmingham Rehab (you BET I'll name and shame....)do/have given them to other children!!! My doctor asked me a few years back to join the user commitee cos he said they NEED a tablethumper instead of the tea and biccies and politebutgetfrigalldone crew so am thinkin now might be a good time to do just that because the funding thing is such a sodding disgrace if this is what it's coming too :rolleyes: BIG GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

In the meantime i shall be persuading as many people as poss to forego the luxury of being able to sit down for a fortnight to do this ride so shall be expecting a mailbox FULL of pledges of dosh to send to the family for our troubles, ta :)

WHY on earth can she not HAVE myoelectrics

Is it a temporary decision perhaps until the amputation has healed properly or maybe until she's a little older. I don't know just putting forward a couple of suggestions and trying to give the local NHS trust the benefit of the doubt.

Hi All:

Only since I have been buggered, have I become aware of the ills of the world. Seems somewhat ignorant, but I confess this.

This is another "sad" story. However, this family and especially this girl, need to know that they are not aloe, that there are many as they and that there are many who have beat this devil to an astonishing degree.

ED

Hi,

That is a heart wrenching story. It's so hard to see a child have to go through such a struggle. This story really hits home with me, because it's what cost me my legs as well as four finger tips. In any case, I'm placing a link to a wonderful site for meningitis. It is filled with all sorts of information including supportive, informative & preventative. Once entering the site, there is a section of personal stories for both Angels & Earthbound Angels. There is a little girl, named Lauren,(link below), who's story is just like Olivia. Afet, maybe if you contact her family you could pass along this link. Maybe the girls or their families can benefit from eachother. Admittedly, we've all learned firsthand how strength can be found when a common thread creates a bond.

Lesley, I noticed you read this. Hope you're feeling better. Hope you won't mind a lil bit more advice here. In the beginning, I had a lot of the same feelings you're going through. Still have em once in awhile, but....it was a story much like this one that allowed me to see possibility and learn humility. It made me feel greater empathy for a child that it made me feel guilt for feeling bad for myself. Basically, a realization of someone being worse off is what brought me back to reality. Keep smiling kiddo....it's contagious. ;)

Linda

http://www.meningitis-angels.org/

http://www.meningitis-angels.org/Lauren.htm :rolleyes::wacko:

Hey Linda,

Thanks for posting those links. I will indeed include them in my letter to the family.

I thought of you when I read this story. I know you went through the same thing.

I know we sometimes moan to each other about how crappy, we feel, life as a bilateral BK can be at times (well, just the 'getting the legs' bit), but it does hit home when you realise that others just aren't so lucky as us, like this unfortunate little girl. What you said to Lesley is very true.

I know in myself how hard it would have been for me to have lost both my hands too. Doesn't bear thinking about. :(

Afet, did you see the report about Olivia today on the ITN daytime news? (could have also been on the evening section as well). What a very brave little girl she is, I was moved to tears watching the report.

Can you please pass on my best wishes to Oliva and her family in your letter?

Thanks

Leanne

I will send Olivia a card from Utah, from my four kiddos...maybe some stickers, to brighten her day. As a mother I cant help but cry while reading her story. A month ago she had a normal future, and in such a short time her whole world changed. My heart goes out to her family.

Judy

Utah

LBK

:( I'm sorry, I just don't know what to say. Like the rest of you I'm sitting here with tears falling down my face.

I think this may be the same little girl I have seen on GMTV this morning, who now has MRSA, does anyone know?

Ann

I think your right Ann, they mentioned about the grandparents trying to raise money and awareness. Hospital making excuses I see, I'm sure there's more to it than what their saying about the mrsa in the bone fragments at the time of the amputation.

Yes Ann, this is the same little girl. :(

I read this, this morning, which confirms that she has also contracted MRSA, like myself. As if she hasn't been through enough already. This really angers me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/4414281.stm

Her family are apparently lobbying Tony Blair, and I'm hoping that something will come out of this. It's all too little, too late for Olivia though. :(

:rolleyes:

Hi Afet

How must her Mum&Dad feel?. Something must be done about MRSA and sooner rather than later.I myself went down with MRSA in hospital that was when I had my BK then had to have AKA Due to MRSA. When will it all stop.?All my love to the little girl and hope things only get better.

Best wishes Pat.

:( I'm sorry, I just don't know what to say. Like the rest of you I'm sitting here with tears falling down my face.

I know. I saw her photo when this story broke and it was so so sad. Children shouldn't get diseases, it's unfair. What have they ever done to deserve them? Don't they deserve a chance to have a normal life? :(

Hi All:

I thought I would drop this off in this area.

The Canadian War Amps are running a new ad on TV to aide their cause.

It "stars" a little girl , around 8 or 9 who has just gotten her new arms via the War Amps. She is also a double leg amp(?). What she is doing in this commercial is awe inspiring as well as making me realize how lucky I am to have what I have left.

ED