Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

BLOOD CLOTS/DVT

Is the risk of blood clots or DVT higher with a leg amputation? Not just the surgeries, I mean in general too.

Are female amputees advised against taking The Pill?

I'm no medical person Dawn but I guess in theory yes we might be.

The idea is to keep blood circulating through movement, especially contraction of the Soleus muscle, also known as the muscle pump, which is a major calf muscle. I've got one but it has atrophied over the years. Has anyone got facts and/or figures?

Not sure about the Pill. I did see an article though that said that The Pill might be one way to avoid, or minimise the chances of, breast cancer.

Cat

Dawn, although I've had two surgeries since my amputation, that has never been mentioned to me as a risk factor. I do know that since I'm allergic to Heparin, the medication most often used for DVT, there are alternative medications to be given for DVT at the time of surgery. If one knows in advance a surgical procedure is necessary, one can be put on Coumadin (Warfarin) in advance of the procedure. The best thing to do is ask the surgeon and take the necessary precautions. The irony for me was that the medication given to avoid DVT is the medication that caused me to lose my leg. But, this reaction is very rare and generally occurs on a second exposure to the Heparin.

Since I haven't been on birth control pills for over 30 years, I have no idea whether they increase the risk of DVT or not.

Carole

Hi All:

Way back when, I was told that as long as I can keep moving, I would be ok. I used to hate the heparin shots from hell. I was taken off that crap early 'cause I was wheeling so much at the time.

ED

Hi Dawn

I was told I was at no more risk than anyone else.

Have had no problems taking birth control pills either.

Ann

Hi Dawn

I have been prescribed the Pill in the past. Only problems being weight gain (problems with socket fitting - ouch!) & calf cramps.

As for surgery, I've only had to have Heparin when I've had orthopaedic ops. on my legs. I suppose it's because they thought that I couldn't move around enough, after the op.

Suzie

Hey Dawn,

I've had several surgeries without any problems and DVT was never even brought up. One of my surgeries was total knee reconstruction of my amp side by a orthopedic surgeon. The last surgery that I did have was my revision surgery which was almost 3 years ago and also done by an orthopedic surgery with no mention of DVT etc. If you are having any surgeries then you should bring this question up to the surgeon before hand.

As far as the Pill goes I was on it in my teenage years and took it for about 3 years but haven't been on the pill in over 16 years and had a hysterectomy close to 7 years ago. I don't think being an amputee really matters as far as the pill is concerned.

thanks guys :)

Im asking cos Im on the pill, cypretone acetate and metformin as treatment for polycystic ovaries. I have to come off it for surgeries due the blood clot risks but wondered when you could go back on if the surgery was an amputation...

All things to ask the doctors I guess :unsure: