Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
redwoodjan

Arm Amp Ladies

First, let me introduce myself. I am a student of Occupational Therapy at San Jose State Univ, female if that matters.

I'm doing research for an assignment with a case study of a woman, 30 yo, with a right (dominate) AE amputation. I am supposed to write up how I would teach her to don her bra. I haven't found much help in books and articles, but I prefer grass roots info from real people, rather than the clinical books anyway. Would anyone be willing to share how they put on their bra? Or do you prefer to go without? Do you use the stretchy/pullover/sports kind? Front closure? If you were mentoring my case study woman, who has just received her first prosthesis, what would you tell her?

I would very much appreciate any ideas or referrals you can give me.

Thanks so much,

Jan, OT in training

PS-I'm willing to answer any questions you feel necessary to prove that I am who I say I am as I understand there are alot of freakazoids out here on the web. But hopefully my question is not one that the freaks would be interested in anyway. I don't mind a private message response either, if that makes someone more comfortable.

" I understand there are alot of freakazoids out here on the web. But hopefully my question is not one that the freaks would be interested in anyway. "

Hmmmm , a pperson with a reall llegiitammamte thhinngie woould perhapps uusing a diffferennt tyype oof woordness ees to tryying ann beeing more pprofessioonnal soounding ... at lleasst that's whhat I wooulld bbe thinkkinging .

" ..... If you were mentoring my case study woman, who has just received her first prosthesis, what would you tell her? ... "

Ummm , sorryy iif mmy laattset messsagge wasas a bbit oosrt of wiierd and stuff bbut i mm re- reradediing thhis again annd I amm seeing to mmmnay stufffs hhere thhat doon't makingnes sennceness too me . Sorry bbut i thhinkkingness that yyou pppickeeded the wrronng pplllace to fulllfiling yyopur fanttasyciies . Nnnexxt tiime , yyou mmaying wwannting to acctually readddding what you wriitiing befoore yyou seeend something oout . Oh yaaa , if you arre annOT iin trtainiingness , don''t you thinkking that you woullded beb TRAINNING iin a real pplace whhere thhese wouldded bbe answereded ?

Come on guys, give the girl a chance, as she says I doubt any "freak" would be interested in this. If it's any help I'm an expert at undoing bras with one hand...

Mike

OK Jan, I'm sure the girls won't mind helping you out on this one after a quick security check. I guess we need to know your real name, class number and the name and or e-mail address of your Uni administrator. It shouldn't take more than a day to get a response from San Jose State Uni. As you've indicated, you won't mind supplying these credentials to prove you are a bona fide student and not just some sad perv.

Looking forward to your reply.

Oh and please, no PM's. We all need to know this.

Come on guys, give the girl a chance, as she says I doubt any "freak" would be interested in this. If it's any help I'm an expert at undoing bras with one hand...

Mike

:lol: :lol: post of the day imo.

And to give the serious response to the post I think MJ has got it right, if this is serious why cannot you experiment using one arm as Marcus suggests.

why cannot you experiment using one arm as Marcus suggests

That may just be what our friend is doing at the moment ;) :P

Seriously though Redwoodjan just the name and course number will do as I've just looked up the rest for you using the Faculty/Staff Directory.

San Jose State University

Occupational Therapy

Earl, Rosalyn

Administrative Coordinator

Bldg/Room/Zip: CCB 203 - 0059

Email: rearl@casa.sjsu.edu

Phone: 408-924-3071

Fax: 408-924-3088

Muz, et al

Thank you, Muz, for not writing me off completely without the opportunity to prove myself. My name is Janet “Jan” Wolski. I know better than to post my email address anywhere on the web due to spammers, but will send it privately to registered member on the forum who seems to genuinely want to help me.

I am in my second sequence, the class is OCTH132, Occupational Therapy for Adults with Physical/Orthopedic Disabilities. Dr. H. Pendleton is my professor.

The first year of training is all in the classroom – we don’t go out in the field for practicum until next school year, so we are not yet working with clients to ask. One objective of the assignment is to go through the process of discovering how to do things. Part of this is researching what assistive devices are available, common adaptations that are made, being creative with finding resources and, as you’ve pointed out, experimentation. My professor has also told us that often our best resources are experienced people with disabilities who have learned what works best for them. Real-world, real-use strategies are often more useful than clinical, book-learned techniques. Hence my request to you.

In my own experimentation, I have used a standard, fasten-in-the-back bra with hooks and eyes. I’ve held one side of the back in my teeth and wrapped the bra around me. I clamp the bra to my side with my residual limb [but I’m not sure that I could hold it at an appropriate height with an AE limb]. I am able to use my remaining hand to fasten the hooks, then slide the bra around so it is facing forward – this is actually the most difficult part for me. Once in place, I can slip the straps on my shoulders and make adjustments where needed. I will use this in my write up, but had hoped that someone with more experience that me would be willing to share a tip or trick that I hadn't yet discovered.

Thanks, again, to those of you willing to give me a chance, Jan

Hi guys,

This one sounds like it could be genuine. I may know for sure in a few hours. I too was a bit surprised by some of the terminology in the original request but don't forget Jan is a student and they talk a competely different language from most of us old farts :)

You lot are stunning.... I'm so glad I'm not in the same place as you in my head... I've heard of being cynical, but this takes the biscuit... what could possibly happen anyway? I'm completely baffled by all the negative responses to such a simple question... what's supposed to happen if you describe briefly how you don a single piece of clothing?! it sounds like a perfectly reasonable request to me, congratulations redwoodjan for using your initiative and asking the question here. I'm only sorry you got the hostile response you did.

Unfortunately I'm a man, I have two arms and I don't call myself Dorothy at the weekend, so am no use to you.

Good luck with getting the answers you need.

I'm so glad I'm not in the same place as you in my head

I'd hope I wasn't in there at all :rolleyes:

and I don't call myself Dorothy at the weekend

Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

Don't knock it until you've tried it

LMAO @ Muz-bloody priceless mate lolol

BTW would someone kindly tell me just WHAT has happened to this board recently-it's become so, well SMUTTY :lol: and it seems to be the same FEW individuals whose names keep appearin next to such posts...hmmm lol B) :D :P

Don't knock it until you've tried it

LMAO @ Muz-bloody priceless mate lolol

agreed cazzy1...

I think Muz has hit exactly the right note... take a bow :D

... I've heard of being cynical, but this takes the biscuit... what could possibly happen anyway? I'm completely baffled by all the negative responses to such a simple question... (oneblueleg.... Apr 6)

I've got to agree with oneblueleg here, yes a certain degree of decorum must be applied to sensitive subjects here, but as a group of individuals who have been through what we have surely an enlightened open prespective would be more benefical. That is the problem with the written word, it can be taken in the wrong context, even though it may have been a serious question a bit of levity at the end does not mean it deserves positive response.

And if you dont call yourself Dorothy at the weekend then you would'nt consider yourself to be a 'laaadyyy'. (Little Britain........ dont tell me im on my own here!)

Dont worry Si, I'm on your wavelength :) I love that show.

Mel, think that oneblueleg was just trying to get over the point that he's the kind of bloke that is not inclined to be wearing bras - be it at the weekend or through the week! But whatever floats your boat eh? It wouldnt do if we were all the same.

Jan - sorry I cant be of any assistance in your research, but sometimes its hard enough with 2 arms getting a bra on! Good luck with your research anyway.

BTW would someone kindly tell me just WHAT has happened to this board recently-it's become so, well SMUTTY

Cazz,

I'm not sure about the smut but there seems to have been an outbreak of it since Eddie started bashing on about tossing... I think we can place the blame squarely in his lap.

Mike

Yep we do Marcus....LOL :P :D

Hello and thank you again for the support that was given. I have to admit that the negativeness and total disbelief stings a bit, but I've had worse experiences in my life. It did lead me to do some snooping around on this and a few other amp discussion boards and I came to realize how naive I've been on the subject of freaks. I've learned more about devotees and now have a better appreciation of how rampant these perverts are in the discussion board world. While I don't hold any hard feelings towards the cynics who flamed me, my faith in wo/mankind is preserved by those that gave me a chance to prove myself.

I don't know what kind of response, if any, SJSU provided, but actually it's too late now. I turned my assignment in yesterday, based solely on my experimentation.

Thank you for your consideration and the words of encouragement I received. I hope you don't mind my occasional visit to your board to help me understand your world better.

Sincerely, Jan

Hi Jan, I tried to check with SJSU (I may have been out of order there) but they never replied, maybe to do with privacy regulations.

Hope you do well with your assignment and glad that you took the time to research why you received such an initial hostile response.

Would anyone be willing to share how they put on their bra? Or do you prefer to go without? Do you use the stretchy/pullover/sports kind? Front closure?

Hi Jan, I'm not trying to be cynical here, but it seems to me, that if someone wanted to know that type of a personal question, "would anyone be willing to share how they put on a bra"? It probably would have been better to say, arm amputees only, need to reply. Then perhaps it wouldn't have seen quite so misleading to some.

Anyways, I hope you did well with your assignment, and good luck with any future assignments. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Jan, they do it up first and then slide it over & on. Have 2 above elbow amp friends with virtually no residual limb, and that's their way.

It probably would have been better to say, arm amputees only, need to reply. Then perhaps it wouldn't have seen quite so misleading to some.

Thanks for the feedback, Sheila. I thought I had addressed that via the topic name, but obviously that wasn't enough. I've learned a lot through this discussion about taking great care in how I word things :o

they do it up first and then slide it over & on. Have 2 above elbow amp friends with virtually no residual limb, and that's their way.

And thank you, melaussie, for answering my question. To be clear, though, are you saying that they fasten the hooks with the bra off, then pull it on over their heads and into place? I'll have to give that a try, it seems like a much better solution than what I came up with. Which, of course, is why I asked in the first place!! :)

Kind regards, Jan