Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Thought we could start a new subject describing our experiences on holiday.

I have recently returned from South Africa, which I found most enjoyable. My wife and I stayed with friends in Fishoek Capetown.

As you know South Africa is going through some enormous changes.

I thought their attitude towards disability was very positive.

All the restaurants I attended had accessible toilets, and there is good accessible parking throughout the city, with a R 5,000 fine for not displaying a blue badge!!.

High points of the fortnight was a day cage diving with Great White Sharks, if no one has does this I recommend this fantastic experience.

Have a look!

http://www.sharkdivingunlimited.co.za/index.html

I had a Great White 10 inches from my face quite the most awesome experienceI have ever been through.

Tabletop Mountain is fully accessible via a cable car trip; also a visit to the townships gives you a chance to speak with South Africans about the future and the aspersions.

The food in Capetown is amazing and about half the price than in the UK.

The weather in the autumn is about 25-27 degrees, we had 1 day of rain.

Fantastic beaches but you do share the water with some big fish! (See Above). Public transport is not so good, although trains run regularly. Hiring a car is probably best for flexibility.

A vist to the cape is dramatic, also a vist to Ernie Els( the golfer) winery is certainly worth a trip.

Paul :D

Very interesting and beautiful photo! Although I think I can happily live the rest of my life without a great white 10 inches from my face.

Great pic Paul and a great idea.

If I ever have another hloiday I'll be sure to report it. :(

Cat

Hmm pictures of a one legged man and a great white shark??? Could be great for sympathy pints down the pub :) Not sure I'd want to get that close to one though (the shark,that is :))

Thanks for this post:

I appreciate the info. It is important for all to post stuff like this as it gives me one more place to go where I know I will be OK.

I think all should post "accessibility" scores for places so all can either enjoy or avoid a trip somewhere.

ED

hi, i was really interested to see you went to Africa. I am planning to go there on ym gap year but am a bit concerned about how my leg will cope in the heat. I have an iceross liner and it doesn't really let my skin breathe much, did u have any problems with it at all??

We have been to USA several times now (Florida and California) and from the point of view of accessibility and helpfulness towards those in a wheelchair or with mobility problems it has been brilliant. The blue badge spaces seem to be less abused than here in the UK so we were usually able to get one and in restaurants they were very helpful about storing the wheelchair whilst we ate as I always prefer to transfer to a normal seat to eat. (I do not use a wheelchair all the time but on holidays where there is a lot of walking I find I need to use one at least every other day and sometimes every day in order to be able to keep up with the children and not restrict what they are able to do because of my limitations). The only 'problem' was occasionally the kamikaze tactics of other tourists suddenly diving out in front of the wheelchair because they saw a gap and did not appreciate that my son (who usually pushes me) did need more than a fraction of a second to stop :o

Sue

:o :o :o :o You came to Africa and you didn't call me?????? No man! That's not cricket! <_<

But aren't the Cape beaches divine? I haven't been able to access your pics but it's super that you got to see your Great White. They can be very shy and elusive sometimes. A lot of people go home having seen nothing.

And you are dead right about public transport. It's virtually non-existant. Trains are a no-go area. There are too many muggings and stabbings to risk that. They have a token amount of rail police people, but they are pulled out when it starts to get dark because it becomes too dangerous to work then. All of us South Africans are just shaking our heads in total amazement at how on earth we think we are going to cope with the 2010 soccer games here. :rolleyes:

Lizzie - the heat here isn't that bad, although it varies depending on where you go. In the Cape, the air is crispy and cool, the sea is cold, so summer's are nice. In KwaZulu Natal, the air is very muggy and the humidity can be quite high. The sea is warm. I would imagine that heat would be a bit of a problem there. Up in Gauteng (middle of SA) the heat is dry. That's where I am based and I don't battle with heat very often (in my Iceross liner).

So.....anyone else who comes to my little neck of the woods....please don't leave without letting me know that you're here :D

Erm, ok, just re-read Paul's shark-dive post and seen that it's really old. :rolleyes:

Africa is still groovy though, awesome holiday spot especially with the weak Rand. Definitely get a value-for-money holiday here.

B)