Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
melaussie

A doctors visit

The other day I had an appointment to get a second opinion from a neuro surgeon regarding my good leg. Because the hospital I attend is a major trauma hospital there are always doctors in training. The way it normally works is that you need to meet with the student doctor, go through your entire history then he presents your case to the Professor. So this guy gets me to get up on the table; I took my shoe off on my good leg but left the shoe on the prosthetic because otherwise I cant' get up on the table. So as I go to get up he points to the sign and tells me I have to take my shoe off-now I tell him that it's ok because I cant' get up there with it off and by the way I've had heaps of these appointments and no one has ever ask me to do this; but he insists becuase he said that he needed to do the pin test. I told him at that point he could get a nail and hammer and I still wouldn't feel anything. His face went into a really strange shape and he said don't you think you've been through enough I don't want to cause you anymore pain. This guy just didn't get it. So I started laughing. I'm sure he thought I was mad

HI Mel:

I remember dealing with these poor students as well.

My "fondest" memories are of the "heparin nurse from hell" who was learning how to give the shot. Her hands were sooooooooooo shakey with that dam needle. Thankfully, the instructor stopped her before I did!!

The other is the day they brought a large group of students around. Since I had so many sutures(?), I proved to be very popular as each had a turn taking out three or four a piece.

ED

My first encounter with students was when I was having my first son. I was in the throes of labour when four students came in the delivery room with a doctor, he said to me 'do you mind if the students watch the delivery of your baby?' at that particular time I couldn't have cared if the whole b....y hospital came in and watched, but it was after the birth when I had calmed down and they wanted to come and watch me be stitched up, now that was a bit embarrassing B) :blink:

Oh guys, Ed I remeber the stiches things/or staples in my case-you know you just want someone who knows what they're doing. ;) OHHH and it feels like that!! ;) :angry: :(

Pam-havent' had any children myself but sometimes they just don't get when enough is enough Hey!

I fully understand that they need to learn, but hell the guinea piggy thing just gets a bit much sometimes. :blink::blink: