Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Muz

Amputee Glossary

I'm 8 weeks away from my 1st anniversary as an Amputee (although only 6 away from my accident anniversary) and although I now know a lot more about prosthetics and life as an amputee, than I did last year, there are still lots of things that baffle me. So I got to thinking that it would be good to have a handy guide to amputee and prosthetic terms that newbies (and not so new) could consult when they came across all these fancy words that the prosthetists use. Words and phrases like "plantar/dorsiflexion" and "proprioception" spring to mind but there are plenty more to found on the manufacturers websites. I've got one or two braincells that still function and can hazard a guess at the meaning of some words but it'd still be handy to have a guide on this site.

Anyone fancy the job of chief lexicographer?? ... Marcus?? :lol:

Plantar flexion is when you extend your foot ( point your toes away from you)

Hi Marcus:

I'm looking forward to that.

Also, what is the term for a knee that can "rotate" sideways? Hope I explained that good enough for you to understand what I am asking.

Also, Marcus are you going to Dallas in August?

Lynne

what is the term for a knee that can "rotate" sideways?

Lynne I think the term is "stuffed".....lol

Does it rotate or bend?

Hi Dumbarton

what is the term for a knee that can "rotate" sideways?

I had one of those knees! :) With mine, if I straightened my leg, the front of the lower leg would rotate around to the 'outside'. I think that movement is known as external rotation. I also had genu valgum (knock knee). :blink:

Lizzie

So what's it called when you are exercising and get a bit too much sweat in your liner so that every other step on the treadmill makes your foot hit the ground at different angles...sometimes even backwards?.... :blink: :)

Seriously marcus, make a real one for us, then make a fun one...we love it when you make us laugh! ;)

judy

lbk

utah (by the way, when are we meeting for lunch?...)

I think that this would be a good idea...only if the descrition was in useable English or , (hopefully) Aussie.

All this flexion stuff sucks........just give us the real human meaning.

TX

ED

Not a bad start Marcus.......good job.

LOL @ ribs

Great topic!

Marcus you're doing a great job.

I want to add what I know.. Can I Can I Please Please??

Symes amputation at the ankle

BKA below the knee amputation

AKA above the knee amputation

HD hip disarticulation

HP Hemipelvectomy

BBKA Bilateral Below Knee amputation

BAKA Bilateral Above Knee amputation

LE- lower extremity

NWB- non weight bearing

PWB- partial weight bearing

UE- upper extremity

BW below wrist

BE below Elbow

AE above elbow

PVD peripheral vascular disease

chopart amputations all viable plantar skin with normal or protective sensation should be preserved

Ray Amputations the first metatarsal ray may be amputated, w/ only moderate loss of foot function

Metatarsal Disarticulations

PFFD Proximal Femoral Focal Deficiency

OK, got to ask this and look stupid. What's a MAS socket?

Mutter mutter, mentions it in another post and doesn't link it to the glossary, grumble grumble ;)

Here's a link that might help explain

http://www.geocities.com/tigamike/all_views.html

Phew, some good info there. Must remember to print out the glossary before visiting orthopeadic sites though :)

Afet, I know all about revolutionary sockets. I had one when my first socket was given to me ... without socks. Boy did that revolve after a couple of hours :lol:

M.A.S. socket stands for Marlo's Anatomical Socket, which was named after it's designer/inventor. It's a revolutionary ischial containment socket.

There has been a lot said about the MAS Socket in recent posts, making out to be the only socket that allows the wearer an un-noticeable socket line.

This is simply not true, hype and prothstetics seem to go together.

Many prothsetists can create slim clothes hugging sockets, with hype comes huge prices which intern jack up the price up!

Here in the UK the vast majority of amputee's use the NHS, MAS is just not an option, but we can get very similar effects by working with our prothsetists!

In recent years the advertising of prothstetics has become like soap powder, promising better mobility, better comfort, the reality is the changes are very slow and slight, a lot of the so called new products are just old ones with a new coat of paint and a bit of spin attached. I think there are perhaps some real innervations just around the corner, we will have to wait and see!

Becareful for what you wish for..........All that glisters is not always gold! ;)

Happy being unique...........and not paying for it!!

Paul :D

LOL @ Kinesiology

That one was funnier than ribs

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: