Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Muz

Amputee Glossary

I have the vacuum plug on my socket and it sucks!

I've tried this as well and you're wrong it doesn't work :P :lol: :lol:

I'm 8 weeks away from my 1st anniversary as an Amputee (although only 6 away from my accident anniversary) and although I now know a lot more about prosthetics and life as an amputee, than I did last year, there are still lots of things that baffle me. So I got to thinking that it would be good to have a handy guide to amputee and prosthetic terms that newbies (and not so new) could consult when they came across all these fancy words that the prosthetists use. Words and phrases like "plantar/dorsiflexion" and "proprioception" spring to mind but there are plenty more to found on the manufacturers websites. I've got one or two braincells that still function and can hazard a guess at the meaning of some words but it'd still be handy to have a guide on this site.

Anyone fancy the job of chief lexicographer?? ... Marcus?? :lol:

Now I am sure you are talking about a planter wart..........right hehehe

BONES

Radius

Forearm bone on the same side as your thumb

Ulna

Forearm bone on the side away from your thumb

Humerus

Upper arm bone

Tibia

The larger of the two bones in your shin located toward the front and inside

Fibula

The smaller of the two bones in your shin located toward the rear and outside

Fibular head

Located below your knee and toward the outside, this is a common area of discomfort for BK amputees

Malleoli

Plural for Malleolus, the bones that project from the sides of your ankle.

Phalanges

Toes and Fingers

Metacarpals

Bones behind your fingers

Carpals

Small bones close to your wrist

Metatarsals

Bones behind your toes

Tarsals

Small bones toward the back of your foot

Calcaneous

Heel bone

Tuberosity

A projection of bone that muscles and tendons attach to

Tibial Tuberosity

A bony bump below your kneecap that your patellar tendon attaches to.

Ischial Tuberosity

A bony bump that provides attachment for the hamstrings, and most of the support when you sit (commonly used for support in an AK socket)

Ischial Ramus

The pubic bone (used for support in the MAS socket design)

Pelvis or Pelvic Girdle

A series of bones shaped like a basket just above your hips that provide support for your organs and something to sit on

Condyle

A wide spot where a bone bulges out next to a joint or knuckle. May also provide attachment point for tendons and ligaments

Ribs

A convenient place to poke Muz

Pokes at Muz to make him laugh !!!!! hehehe

Guys, Girls and the many kats, katz, and cats can you all please slow down i am still struggling with raka's, lbka's, and KFC's (no thats a fast food joint, or is it Killer Foot Cramp) man i'm confused!

:rolleyes:

Guys, Girls and the many kats, katz, and cats can you all please slow down i am still struggling with raka's, lbka's, and KFC's (no thats a fast food joint, or is it Killer Foot Cramp) man i'm confused!

:rolleyes:

Methinks you've strayed to the wrong thread, Bear! At least I HOPE we all know what "junk food" is without consulting a glossary!

:D

Methinks you've strayed to the wrong thread, Bear! At least I HOPE we all know what "junk food" is without consulting a glossary!

:D

:lol:

:blink:

well, i could bring some german words....to confuse you completely.... :lol:

I notice you all use RBK and LBK, etc etc. I don't know if it is posted or not but trans-tibial is an amputation through the tibia - a below knee amputation. A trans-femoral amputation is through the femur, an above knee amputation. Just incase I ever start using these phrases it might be nice to know what they are.

Ali, I did know the correct terms... but I had to look them up online, as all the "staff" around me used LBK too!

It probably IS good that you posted the "formal" terminology here!

I notice you all use RBK and LBK, etc etc. I don't know if it is posted or not but trans-tibial is an amputation through the tibia - a below knee amputation. A trans-femoral amputation is through the femur, an above knee amputation. Just incase I ever start using these phrases it might be nice to know what they are.

Thanks Ali, but I also was aware of this correct terminology. Technically, instead of BKA for Below the Knee Amputation, it should be called TTA for Trans-Tibia Amputation, and the TFA, for Trans-Femoral Amputation. Then we would have the fun of explaining to non-amputees, what the "TIBIA "and The "FEMORAL" was, and I'm sure to some, just what was meant by TRANS

Most however can grasp terms like "KNEE" and "BELOW" or "ABOVE". Not all mind you - but hopefully.... most. "AMPUTATION" now, requires a whole new level of understanding, but I am confident that those that do understand it can expalin it to others.

:D :P :lol:

Yes, I am just "fun-ning". with you. I suppose that the reason for the BKA and the AKA is that someone earlier on remembered the time old addage - K.I.S.S. or Keep It Simple Stupid.

And NO, I am not refering to anyone here as stupid, just sometimes the general public. I've learned early on in life, that God gave everyone brains, it's just that not all came with instructions on how to use them, and even some of those that did, are to lazy to use them. B) <_< :( :) :D

Guest bearlover

Yes! Jim, and many things are used in short term now. It is much easer lazier I agree, but easer. Iam amazed at school (work) how many terms are used with intials. :) I quess it is more PC that way?

Yes! Jim, and many things are used in short term now. It is much easer lazier I agree, but easer. Iam amazed at school (work) how many terms are used with intials. :) I quess it is more PC that way?

In my world we use a lot of GFLAs.

And, for the punchline, GFLA="Generic Four Letter Acronym"

Oh no sorry, I meant that incase I ever start using TT or TF as I am so used to using them in uni I just wanted to make sure they were written down somewhere. I know that nearly everywhere uses BK and AK except for us however, nearly all the medical papers refere to AK and BK (it makes me wonder why we still use TT and TF).

Initials have been used for years. Especially in the military. One of the most famous is the JEEP, which we all know as an SUV, today. This name came from the small 4 wheel drive vehicle (1/4 ton), made by Willy's auto in WWII for the military. It's military designations was the General Purpose Vehicle. Or other wise known as the GPV. The V was dropped and it was pronounced GP, or GEEP, by the GI's (Soldiers), which later evolved into the JEEP

By the way, GI stood for - Government Issue.

I have absolutely no idea what any of this has to do with the price of beans. It was just something that wandered through my mind when talking about acronyms. Just file it under Trivia, better known as FWIW, (For What It's Worth.)

Guest bearlover

You are right Jim, and at school (work) it is ADD or ADHD or PIDD, OT, PT, AD. It can get confusing at times :)

I'm 8 weeks away from my 1st anniversary as an Amputee (although only 6 away from my accident anniversary) and although I now know a lot more about prosthetics and life as an amputee, than I did last year, there are still lots of things that baffle me. So I got to thinking that it would be good to have a handy guide to amputee and prosthetic terms that newbies (and not so new) could consult when they came across all these fancy words that the prosthetists use. Words and phrases like "plantar/dorsiflexion" and "proprioception" spring to mind but there are plenty more to found on the manufacturers websites. I've got one or two braincells that still function and can hazard a guess at the meaning of some words but it'd still be handy to have a guide on this site.

Anyone fancy the job of chief lexicographer?? ... Marcus?? :lol:

The Amputee Coalition of America has a glossary of terms.

JudyH

Guest bearlover

Marcus, Iam A LBK for 3 years now. And a lot of things still baffle me too!! :lol: :P

Something that has always bothered me was the liberal use of the letter"A". If one is an above knee, they should refer to themselves as an AK. There is no need to say AKA. We all know you're a bloomin A don't we? Same as for BK. Theres no need to say BKA. The only sure A is one who uses the latin "Et Al" when addressing a post. All posts posted anywhere are all Et Al. Unless you're a pretentious "A", then by all means please

continue on. I propose the following for the approval of all

Ak : Above knee

BK : Below knee

BLAK : Bilateral above knee

BLBK : Bilateral below knee

AE : Above elbow

BE : Below elbow

BLAE Bilateral above elbow

BLBE : Bilateral below elbow

Symes : Partial foot

VPG : Variable plane geometry

FG : Fixed geometry

DR : Dynamic response (The ability to return stored energy)

Pe-lite : That white foam stuff used to shim spaces in your socket.

Here's just a start at the rudiments. Perhaps we can all build on.

Oh, good topic to "resurrect" once more! Now, on a non-amp note,can anyone explain to me just why "#" has suddenly become a "hash tag" and whether it means anything beyond the latest fad for highlighting key words??? (Bear in mind that this ol' gal does not indulge in texting or tweeting! :wink: )

• Like 1

Simply this year's new way for the "yoof" to bamboozle their elders and demonstrate that they're up with the latest trends - there'll be another fad next year #whateverhappenedtoquillpens?