Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
sghamer

Buying Shoes

I have had a hard time trying to buy shoes that fit. I also hate going to stores to do this. Right now I have a shattered knee that is being held together by a plate and screws. Needles to say I can't bend my knee all that much so trying on shoes in public is out of the question. :rolleyes: I have had to go as far as ordering 6 pairs of shoes over the internet and hopfully one or two will fit! If not I have to send them all back! Is there an easier way? Does anyone know of any shoe companies that have had success with?

Shay

Shay,

Even when I had two good feet I had problems buying shoes! This just adds another dimension. Now I need a left shoe that is big enough and doesn't hurt, as well as a heel height that works for my prosthetic. (I am a recent amputee who opted for foot function, instead of varying heel heights - a fair trade in my book.)

Have you considered purchasing shoes from the store, and then taking them home to try them out. As long as you wear them on carpet and don't mess them up, most stores will allow you to return them. Yesterday I tried on a pair and the sales girl told me to take them home, try them out, and if they were a problem they would be glad to take them back.

Take a friend shopping with you, make it a special shoe shopping day - have some fun, go to lunch, and then go home and try them out in private! B)

I would have a cupboard full of good right shoes if I bothered to keep them! My shoes containing the 'real' foot wear out quicker than the other one and invariably the right one is worth keeping if it were not for the fact that it didn't have a good partner. Maybe we could set up a system where right leg amputees could organise to shop for shoes with left leg amputees. The 'Good' shoe can then be passed on when only one of the shoes is worn out. This extends the life of the 'pair' for one of the amputees.

This isn't going to work is it!?

....specially as I favour beige winkle pickers.

Oneblueleg,

That is a good idea except people have different likes and dislikes and also we all wear different size shoes. There is a few companies that you can find that does shoe exchange. I found a few when I did a search under yahoo I think i put something like shoe exchange in the search engine. I can't remember now.

Brenda

Hi Shay

Buying shoes, can be a problem. I sometimes now use a couple of mail order shoe catalogues, I am also constantly on the lookout in shoeshops, if out shopping. When I get a really good shoe, I sometimes buy two pairs because they often discontinue that style after one season. Personally I find the heel height the main problem as I also have a fixed height foot.

Whereabouts are you? I am in the UK and the mail order companies are both UK, if you would like the addresses, let me know.

Before I got an adjustable heel I mostly bought shoes from Clarks (not the height of fashion I realise but they are comfy). There is also an online supplier called One Odd Shoe although they mainly supply trainers but its a good idea.

Mandy

Hey Shay,

Luckily I did not have to expereicne to much of the shoe problem. I was able to get an adjustable heel foot pretty quickly and I can tell you it is the way to go. I don't know what your prospects are on getting one, but get one if you can. Just consider if that is what fits into your life, I only say that because the adjustable heel was important to me becaue of the corporate world I work, if I was an avide athelete I might have made some different decisions.

I guess I am not the typical women that has a closet full of shoes, but I did have some that I loved and just knew I would have to get rid of them. Some I did (my foot only adjust to 2", so my 4 inch black evening heels where out and some of my dressy winter boots) but others I was able to keep and still wear. I did get to go out and buy some new ones!!! Everything I wear now, looks just like something I would wear before, just with a little lower heel.

couple of tips if you get an adjustable foot

1- get a good shoe horn, sometime you have to force that sucker into the shoe

2- Always buy boots that lace or zip all the way down

3- you STILL have to pull your shoes off if you want to change pants (I tired to change pants without taking off my shoes and thought I would never get the pants back on or off for that matter) :lol:

As far as your knee problem, I understand 100% what you are dealing with. I had some of the same issues, luckily not as severe as you, mine came from scar tissue build up from the original accident (although from the outside nothing looked wrong) and then just non use. I had a knee arthorscopy in the spring and that helped, still can't bend as much as it used to but is a definite improvement. My philosophy when I went in public to try shoes on, Screw everybody, I am happy to be alive. So I just bent over, stuck my big butt up in the air, smiled at everyone :D and tried on whatever I wanted to. Being lady like went right out the window. When you are laying on the street all mangled up and they have to cut your clothes off in front of anybody walking by, your modesty is pretty much gone and then that one little shred of modesty you may have left is squashed after spending a month in a hospital. Having to have some help you use the bathroom sure has a way of keeping your humility in check. Sorry I am rambling now, the whole point is I figured that since a million people between Atlanta Georgia and Daytona Beach Florida had seen everything I had, there was no reason to be modest about trying on shoes. :lol:

Happy shoe hunting! (p.s. I know my email wasn't very helpful, but maybe you can have a laugh at my expense.)

Kimberly

Well for those of us who don't have adjustable heel options yet, shoes are impossible! ;) Ok, Well I have found some solutions lately. I stick with flat shoes likes Wanted brand, platforms like Soda and Volatile, Sketchers, BC Footwear, lEI. , and Report. Ok, yeh, I know those may be a little to "stylish" for some people so I suggest Doc. Scholls, Connie, Naturalizer, and Doc. Martins.

I have had my leg long enough that I am able to twist it just enough to get the shoe on and then stand up without making a seen. I'm also not as self concious as I was when I was a teen, so whatever. Shoes are out there, you just have to find them.

GOOD LUCK!

Nicole