Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dd1

socket discomfort

Hi all again! Does anyone have any tips for reducing blisters and similar I am AK and due get increasing discofortas my activity level increases is there any lotions or creams etc

Best regards David

I'm BK, so obviously my situation is a bit different to yours. For what it's worth, I use blister bandages (Scholls in Australia) to cover any blisters I get. These are adhesive "plasters" / "band-aids" / ?? (not sure where you're from, so I don't know what you'd call them). They are a little gel pad with a clear plastic cover. Very comfortable next to your skin - I can be back walking in minutes with raw skin from a burst blister. They seems to stay on well, for about 4 days, and are waterproof, so even though they are expensive, they are well worth it. I don't travel without them. I also carry betadine (povidine iodine) cream to put on any ingrown hair follicles.

Of course, now I'm back to my ice-ross liner I don't have this problem, but blister bandages saved my sanity while I was using my old prosthesis with the two wool socks - I consistently ended up with a blister matching the end of my tibia if I walked steadily for an hour or two. For spots like this, the blister bandages are great, but if you have consistent problems in one area, you should get yourself back to your prosthetist as soon as possible.

If you're looking for overall skin toughness, it may be a matter of building up more gradually. Most of the suggestions I've heard in the past are either toxic or painful: methylated spirits (no, not for drinking!); a cleaning lotion call phisohex, which is no longer available because one of its ingredients was banned, etc. Sorbolene can be good if the skin is too dry, which can sometimes happen. When I was off my prosthesis for a couple of months, it took a while to build up skin toughness again.

good luck! It is worth being active even though getting started is not fun.

Hi, David

I've had a lot of experience with residual limb first aid lately, due to an ill-fitting socket and other woes you may have read about in other posts. ;) "Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister" is what I use. You can put one on and it stays put for a few days until the blister/abrasion is healed. Another great product a friend of mine recommended to me is ALPS Prosthetic Fitting Lotion (available over the internet or your prosthetist). It's a silicone lotion, and a little bit goes a long way! I have had problems with chafing in the groin area, and a little dab of this lotion in that area before putting on my prosthesis (or after I start to feel discomfort) does the trick! Hope this helps!

Karen - AKA :-)

Orlando, FL

David I used to wear bike shorts - no seams under my liner; those days are over thankfully but I do use a Gel which contains Vit A & D to assist with healing. It works wonders-hard to get off clothing but I get no rubbing etc with the gel. You should be able to get it from your prot. I think Afet suggested KY which doesn't cause problems trying to wash out.

Good luck

Mel.

I recently got a new socket, and have used aquaphor. It doesn't dry out like petroleum jelly. Adding powder however, ;) has a cement effect-and this has lead to irritations, so I go light on the powder.

And Krazy is right-use it in the groin area. I have had some nasty things happen here-not to write home about.

Lately life has been a B..ch for me....one day is good, one day is not so good.

I remember when I was a kid we didn't wear shoes all summer, my feet were so tough I could walk on glass, but then school started and we got new buster brown shoes; I'd walk on them the first day of school and have blisters so bad I had to double up on sox the next day! This is the only consoling fact I have for what I am going through now. ;)

is there any lotions or creams

Hi David

Drapolene is the kiddy, great for all sores, blisters you can't beat it!

Also Australian Bush flower cream is great for the sump skin

Hope thats of help

PJ :D

Hi All:

Personal experience:

If you are getting blisters on the end os a stump....it is from a incorrect fitting of the socket.

If you are getting them at the edge of your liner....this is skin shear.........use either vaseline or some other heavy cream on the skin area that meets the top one inch edge of the liner.

ED

I find that zinc castor oil (all right nappy rash cream) is a great preventative aid.

For blisters and burns I find that an aloe vera gel is soothing and cooling and if rubbed in at night always improves the situation by next morning.