Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
paulaw

Hello from newbie on the block

Hi everybody.

My name is Paul and I am a right leg below knee amputee for the last 20 years. I live in Cheshire (UK) and I am married to Janet and have a daughter aged 11.

I was, until recently, a fairly active amputee, playing squash,badminton, skiing and various other sports. It has taken me nearly two years to get my stump back into a state where the scar is not continually breaking down... so I am hoping to get active again!

Look forward to talking to you all and sharing experiences.

Just in the process of emmigrating to New Zealand. Anybody had any experiences of the limb centres over there?

Paul

Hello Paul!

Great of you to join us! This is a great place with lots and lots of fun, great, and intelligent people. Hopefully someone will be around soon to answers some of your questions..

Talk to you soon! :)

Londonsgirl

USA/Chicago

Hi Paul

Just last week after two years of planning and getting the PR Visas we made the decision not to go. I haven't been on the NZ forums recently, trying to move on.

Good luck to you and from what I've found out their very good out there. Apparently Maori's have a high rate of diabetics therefore they cater for it very well out there.

Hi there,

In New Zealand there are Limb Centres in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch - the main centre is in Wellington (which is where I live) As far as I'm aware there are no private Prosthetists.

I have had nothing but the best service from the centre in Wellington - If I have any problems I can phone and usually get to see my prosthetist the same (or next) day - mind you I do work less than 5mins away from them so that does make it very easy for me. Obviously if you live away from any of these centres it does get a bit harder. I believe that there are regular clinics held at other cities/towns throughout the year.

Wellington has three clinics a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) with patients coming from places like Nelson, Blenheim Napier, Hastings Palmerston North and New Plymouth - which does make it full day for these people (New Plymouth is a good 5 hour drive)

As June said there is a very high rate of diabetes in the Maori and Island population. I'm not sure how their limbs are funded - probably from some health budget.

As my amputation was the result of an accident I'm covered by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) - a government owned/run insurance agency - and I seem to be able to get whatever my prosthetist or orthorpædic surgeon say I need - I currently have a college park trustep foot with the VASS harmony system vacuum socket which works very well for me (although the foot does sometime get a bit noisy when the bushes wear out!)

Not sure of the selection of components either - most of the stuff I've seen has been Otto Bock supplied - the Australaisian supplier is in Melbourne Australia. I don't think you can get any of the Freedom feet here, for example, although my prosthetist has heard of them.

Like most organisations that are Government funded they have a budget that they really do have to stick to and, most likely, isn't as big as they'd like it to be.

Where in New Zealand were you thinking of settling?

David

Hi All,

Thanks for introducing yourselves and the valuable info. :)

We are planning on settling in the Christchurch area (jobs permitting). I have a call open with the prosthestist at the Burwood centre there - just in case.

I had a road accident in the U.K which resulted in amputation so not sure how this fits with ACC although the Graham Flanagan District Manager/Clinical Prosthetist at Burwood seems to think it shouldn't be a problem as long as I have my residency visa.

I have a Ottobock TEC Harmony P2 system with suspension sleeve at present with an axtiom ottobock foot. (although just split the toes!). Read lots on your board so far... have been experiencing sweating/itchy and sores on the stump and thing. Been trying all sorts to each it and have come across something called odaban which seems to be doing the job.

G'day Paul and welcome to the family.

Hope you enjoy your time here and get lots of info and stuff.

Looking forward to calling you and June neighbours when you move.

Cheers,

Cat

Hi Paul

Welcome to this forum, I am from the other side of the continent, but I hope you get some answers to whatever you need.

Lesley

Hi Paul, glad you decided to join us. I am another RBK from Cheshire, which area are you from? There are four of us now, another Paul, Lesley (Meggie), yourself and me, we will be taking over soon!!!! :lol:

Best Wishes

Hi again Paul, I elected to have an amputation after 17 years of pain, RTA. I contacted the relevant people down their and they said I'd have access to all the facilities and I would be entiled to at least 1 leg and they told me how much a leg costs if I wanted more and if I can remember correctly is worked out around £2000, a lot cheaper than here but then so are the wages!

We are planning on settling in the Christchurch area (jobs permitting). I have a call open with the prosthestist at the Burwood centre there - just in case.

I had a road accident in the U.K which resulted in amputation so not sure how this fits with ACC although the Graham Flanagan District Manager/Clinical Prosthetist at Burwood seems to think it shouldn't be a problem as long as I have my residency visa.

I have a Ottobock TEC Harmony P2 system with suspension sleeve at present with an axtiom ottobock foot. (although just split the toes!). Read lots on your board so far... have been experiencing sweating/itchy and sores on the stump and thing. Been trying all sorts to each it and have come across something called odaban which seems to be doing the job.

Christchurch is a lovely city - it would be my next choice of where to live if I wasn't so tied to Wellington. Did live in Christchurch for a year back in the 70's, great place. It's probably the most "English" city in New Zealand

As for sweating/itching/sores etc - I used to get quite a few sore spots on my stump ,usually around hair follicles. I then started washing every morning with a 4% chlorhexadine solution which does a good job of killing just about all skin bacteria - since then spots have been almost non-existent.

I also use an anti-perspirant powder during the hotter months which does a good job of controlling the sweat.

David

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the site and good luck with the trip to NZ. Have heard that the centres and support sites are pretty good over there.

Happy Packing

Melissa

Hi Paul, glad you decided to join us. I am another RBK from Cheshire, which area are you from? There are four of us now, another Paul, Lesley (Meggie), yourself and me, we will be taking over soon!!!! :lol:

Best Wishes

Pam,

Small world!

I live in the Warrington area.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum, sorry its a bit late, due to workload being heavy and only getting home at 7, but I have been reading all the postings. You will enjoy the it here, nice friendly people and lots of encouragement and advice.

Take care

Regards

Jenny South Africa.

I am still the only one here from SA.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum family glad you have joined us. Pull up a comfy chair and join in when you can. There are a lot of great members here that make this site a wonderful place.

I look forward to reading your future posts!

Hi Paul, I had my amputation in Warrington General last October. I live near Northwich. As you said it is a very small world. :blink:

Blimey, loads of Paul's with one leg............welcome to the forum Paul, funny thing my wife islooking into a year exchange in New Zealand shes a Osteopath!

Will be interested in the prothstetic's out there and whether they will work on our NHS legs?

Regards

PJ, another Paul :blink:

Blimey, loads of Paul's with one leg............welcome to the forum Paul, funny thing my wife islooking into a year exchange in New Zealand shes a Osteopath!

Will be interested in the prothstetic's out there and whether they will work on our NHS legs?

Regards

PJ, another Paul :blink:

Paul,

I have been told that provided you have residency you will be treated. If you wife is doing a year exchange - not sure how that will work.

Here is the email address I used to initially get some info on amputees organisations in NZ.

info@amputeeinfo.co.nz

I exchanged some info with somebody called Noel Dolamore from this organisation. He put me in touch with the manager of the clinic in Christchurch NZ.

His email is

graham.flanagan@nzalb.govt.nz

Hope the above helps

Welcome Paul to our little corner of the world, with some of the friendliest people on the planet. Where everyone is very willing to help one another, plus we even try to throw in a few laughs now and then. So please make yourself comfortable, join in and have some fun. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Sometimes there are no answers, so we must trust our own judgement and move forward.

Cheers Paul, will keep you up to speed as the situation develops :D

We have to sell our house first!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Apologies about the very late reply, but ive been off work for a bit and had bit of a break, anyway welcome and a big aloha. ;)