Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Lynne

Swimwear

:D Hi all,

I want to get back to swimming as soon as possible but would feel uncomfortable with my residuual limb on show. ( I am above knee amp)

What do you other female amps wear, if you cover your residual limb?

I have tried to find something on the web without success.

Any ideas would be welcome.

I am only 32 days post amputation so perhaps I will feel better about it being seen by the time I feel up to swimming. :)

Best wishes................Lynne x

Hi Lynne

Try a wet suit shortie, you can get them from most water sport stores at about £50. It will give you bouancy in the water which will give you more stability in the water as you gain confidence.

heres one for £40 http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_inf...ad9ee1213190fce

Have fun in the water :D

PJ

I use a spare shrinking stocking Juzo thing. Works well for me - am a lot less self conscious with it on than I would be if I just had my leg on show.

Hi Lynne

I swim regularly, am bilateral (AK & BK) & I wear an off-the-peg swimming costume. As swimming is one of the only times my legs aren't enclosed, I try make the most of it.

You do need to learn to avoid the stares at first tho', which can be difficult when you aren't used to it - thirty two days post amp, is no time at all! People do get used to seeing you - especially if you swim at regular times - and then there isn't such a problem...honest! :)

But otherwise, lycra shorts sounds a pretty good idea - you would be able to move around easily, whilst retaining some of your privacy.

You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Good luck!

Lizzie

I reckon a pair of undersize Speedos would do for me. Everybody would be so disgusted at the sight of my fatbelly hanging over that they wouldn't even notice the lack of a leg ;)

Muz,

I could have done without that image at this hour of the morning :blink::unsure: :o !

Lynne,

For what it's worth, I've swum regularly since I was a small child, and never cover my stump while swimming (except with sunscreen!). I'm used to small children looking and asking questions, and always answer politely and truthfully, since you never know if they or someone they know may be in the same situation later on, and I wouldn't want to scare them. There's really not much to see, and I think that compared to the other bits revealed in change rooms, the odd missing limb is pretty minor.

Anyway, swimming is great exercise, and will help you to feel better in yourself. If you need to cover up at first with lycra shorts, go ahead - it's better to be out there doing things than sitting around. You may find that with time you decide to use a regular swimsuit, or not. As long as you are comfortable with your choices, other people's judgements are not important.

Cheers,

- K

Undersize speedoes????????? :unsure::blink:

You want to lose other bits? :lol:

I need to block that image out of my head.

Lynne I think you should be comfortable in public. If that means covering up for a while then so be it. I have never bothered and always swim without any covering of any type. If people want to stare thats there swim time wasted not mine. ;)

I'm sure someone here will have an idea for you that you are comfy with.

Happy swimming:D :D :D :D :D :D

Cat

Muz

Will you be wearing a swim cap and googles with the speedo's?

Just so I can warn our local pool!!

PJ :D

:D You guys make me laugh, can't get the speedos image out of my head, think I'd prefer my limb on show! :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for all the help.

PAUL- The shortie looks cool but I don't think I could go in the sauna or steam room with it on.....I'd certainly lose weight! It would be great for sea swimming.

Searching for lycra shorts, sounds the best option.

I hope that in time I will be able to go uncoverd ( no guys....My limb uncovered!)

Perhaps when I'm more comfortable with my body image.

I don't have a shrinker jet but hope they give me one when I go to the limb centre for the first time on Monday.

Thanks....keep smiling.........................Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

Try an all in one like the swimmer wear at the Olympics I got one from our local Aquatic centre-contact your local sport body for distributors-Speedo make them.

I've got one full leg & I chopped the other off.

Watch out thorpie

Mel.

Hi Lynne:

Not an expert in this area at all. I will tell you of the following:

Last time I was in Mexico, there was a woman on the beach...quite beautiful.....blonde........tall..........two piece suit.

She was on crutches............one fine leg.............the other missing very high on the thigh..............very proud of herself.

I admired her spirit and would watch her everyday as she mingled with all.....played in the water etc.

She was not concerned about herself at all.

ED

I've got one full leg & I chopped the other off.

Mel, you Aussies are well hard. I had to find a surgeon to do mine ;) :P :lol:

No tougher people than us Muz :D :D :D

Where do you find surgeons anyway?

I am an AK too and i swim real often. The suit that you would love would be Fastskin from Speedo. You could cut away the remainder and stitch close the stump area. I however am using regular trunks...need to sun the stump as i work in the office long hours, hee

Muz-please the bathers not the surgeon & yes I know we're tough cookies

:P :P

So you found your surgeon in the sea!!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

Hi All:

I'll add a tangent here. I was told not to let the sun get at my stumpii.

I know enough not to get sun burn on the stumpii but I look totally stupid (aside from the look of me anyway)......................virgin white stumpii.....while the rest of me goes black!!!!!

Is keeping the sun off of stumps for real??

ED

So you found your surgeon in the sea!!!!!!!!!!!

Doh... thought Cat said sturgeon. Must have been having one of those senior moments again :P :D :D

Eddie,

I say yes keep the sun off the stumpii. I remember getting my stump sunburned a few times when I was a kid not a very good experience. I always kept plenty of sunblock on it and covered up when I wasn't in the water. Very tender area especially if it's very white like mine.

Same here Brenda my stump and leg are bone white. Got it sunburnt once and learned very quickly.

Thanks for that story Marcus.....I hear that guy is playing for England this summer :lol:

Would this be a case of "caviar" emptor?

Ooh! Maryl, have you been taking lessons from Marcus? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear that guy is playing for England this summer 

I went to Lords on Friday Cat, the Poms are ready for you!!

Freddy Flintoff is charging in, I think he may be a bit too quick for your boys!

Best you just send over them Ashes now, save on that airfare coming all the way over here to get bashed!! :D

PJ

I used to wear a shrinker. At first it was just a plain one, but at some point I found a t-shirt printing place that would put all sorts of odd pictures or patterns on them. Sometimes I would have one printed to match the swimsuit.

After my revision surgery I slowly started to feel the shrinkers weren't necessary anymore because that, painful and inconvenient as it was, got rid of the fair bit of scarring I was even more self-conscious about than the stump itself. Now I don't cover my stump when I wear a swimsuit, but it took a long time for me to feel relatively comfortable without the sock, even after the revision. The point is it does get easier in time.