Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ethan

yet another new socket/leg

hello everyone,

been to the limb centre today, got told that i have to have another new leg and socket, due to shrinkage and i just cant get comfotable with this one. havent really got one with this one since feb. for some reason the only leg that has been ok was the first one.

so now im looking at a 3rd leg since end of dec!

so i was just wondering if that was normal or whether its just me having these probs?

hope everyone here is ok and still smiling?

speak to you all soon

ethan

Hi Ethan

I dont think its normal, why do you have to have one made, over and over again, instead of fixing the first one, when you shrink, I went to a person who didnt have a clue as to what he was doing, and he told me the same thing, and we had had so many other problems with him, so we got another opinion.

I hope this helps.

Lesley

Hi Ethan,

I'm about to be cast for my 4th leg (not counting my swim leg that I've just received). I had my amputation last June and my 1st leg at the end of August. I've gone down 2 liner sizes since then so it makes sense to change the socket and due to differences in the construction some of the components have had to be changed although the feet get reused. We're working on a rolling replacement program at the moment where the oldest socket is changed as my stump shrinks. I think the leg I'm using at the moment is the best one so far. The 1st one I shrunk out of to quickly and the second one wasn't so good despite my prosthetist putting a gel pad at the front to cushion the bottom of my tibia (think that may have made things less comfortable). As I get too smal for a socket my prosthetist normally adds some leather to pad things out until the new leg is ready.

Personaly I prefer them to make me a new leg rather than trying to bodge things together. It's probably cheaper to do this in the UK whereas in the US I suspect that it's cheaper (for the user) to tweak a leg rather than making a new one.

Hi Ethan and Muz,

I think it's easier to make a new socket, as well as giving a better outcome. Adding leather and padding can be a bit hit and miss, since the prosthetist is basing the changes on secondary evidence, such as skin marking and your feedback on pressure points. Depending on scarring, you may not be able to pinpoint exactly where a problem lies, and relieving pressure at one point can make things worse somewhere else. With a new socket, you can start afresh, incorporating the lessons learnt from the one you're throwing away. That's of course why test sockets are used - Ethan, does your prosthetist use test sockets? I think they may be more common in the US, perhaps because they mean extra cost that wouldn't be covered where I live, at least (artificial limb schemes vary from state to state in Australia. I think Victoria may be better than NSW - where I live - though poor Cat still suffers the dread SACH foot, and I have an Endolite multi-axial foot provided "for free"). When I lived in the US, test sockets seemed to be part of the usual process.

It's difficult to trust a prosthetist if he/she has never made you a socket that fitted (even if it was only ok for a month). I've had to change prosthetists on two separate occasions because we couldn't get a successful outcome. If you and your prosthetist can't communicate well, or if the prosthetist is not very good (it can happen), or if your stump is not stable enough, you will find it difficult.

It's worth persevering, though, keep trying!

-Kam

Hi Ethan, I don't really know how normal it is, but it seemed as though I'd never stop shrinking, I must of went through four or five my first year. But for me, it wasn't just the shrinking situation, it was trying to get one that fit properly. I have such thin skin and psoriasis on top of that, in which I could not tolerate any pressure and especially from the bottom of my residual. Which is why today, I have to wear the kind of pros with the braces on the sides of the knee, which are attached to a leather corsett on my thigh, with velcro straps that hold me up from going to far into the socket, plus keeps it on good and tight. It can be tiring at times and wear me down from the weight, but for the most part, not to many probs. Believe me, I was to the point where, hey, it may not look that great, but just make me something comfortable to wear, so that I can be on my way!!!! :unsure: :D They finally did and I haven't stopped since!! :blink: So my guess is, that it's definitely not just you, k? B) Of course everyone is different and what some may have a difficult time with, others may not experience any of those things. But remember, PATIENCE is the word and you'll see, that one day it'll just all come together, so that you too can be on your way and I know once they do, you'll be unstopable as well!! :blink: :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Kindness goes a long ways, so let there be enough for everyone.

Same for me I was cast at least 5 or 6 times I can't remember and lost count. My problem was the opposite. When I got to rehab I weighted 37 kilo-lost a heap of weight lying in a hospital bed for so long. So as I started to get back to my normal weight my stump did too. Then finally it shrank to about the size it is now, but initially I had quite a few; and it's worth getting one the fits just right.

That said I think it's normal

Mel

The incredable shrinking problem-yes, it happens. Especially if you are new to all this. It takes a while for your stump (I hate that word) to shrink.

Watching your weight has everything to do with good fit. I have been the same weight give or take 5 lbs for 30 years! I love going to my high scool reunions, but when I tell them why I have stayed the same-nobody wants to loose a leg.

Sometimes I think if it weren't for my leg I would weigh a lot more.

Even after 35 years my leg swells and shrinks during the day and night.

During the summer it seems to get more swollen and shrink more during the hotter weather. Has anyone else noticed that?

Hope everything settles for you Ethan and you get as mobile as you'd like.

Cat

my leg swells and shrinks during the day and night.

Hi Cat

I think my stump is linked to the moon, there is no rhyme or reason to it! :D

Where in the lap of the gods :blink:

PJ

I think my stump is linked to the moon, there is no rhyme or reason to it!

You just need to consult the tide tables to see when you'll get the biggest swelling :lol:

I picked up my 2nd leg yesterday, unfortunately I can only walk with it on using my crutches because I have the biggest sore on my stump. :( This was caused by my original leg being much too big for me :angry: . On Sunday I had eight thick socks on, but just like Paul, my leg swells up and down without any rhyme or reason. My prosthetist didn't think it was a good idea to pad out the old socket.

Anyway this new suction leg is great :) , and it looks pretty good too. I just hope I can get my leg into a reasonable condition before I go off on holiday a week on Friday. I am taking a couple of days off work to try and rest, has anyone got any miracle cures for these damn sores!!!

My husband and my physio say I am doing too much too soon, I hate admitting they are probably right, so I am having a good hard think about reducing my hours at work, maybe do a four day week and have a long weekend off. Grrrrr, I hate giving in :angry: Must admit thought I am tired all the time, I thought I would be able to get used to working and my body would adjust, but I was obviously very wrong.

Help!!!! :(

Hang in there Pam, have you got sticky silicon pads? Ask your prothstetist for some, even in your suction socket use the pads! Drapolene for sores, heals them quick, use surgical spirit to rinse out your socket.

The sun coming out this week and we will all feel warmer! Feel the sunshine

PJ :)

Hi Pam

Sorry to hear about the sore on your leg.

You mentioned cutting your hours at work, you may find that once you get walking properly on your new limb that you don't get so tired wearing it. I find when the limbs are comfortable and not rubbing I just don't feel as tired.

Anyway enjoy your holiday next week.

Ann

I agree with Ann Pam, when you get a good fit and it's comfy you walk a lot better end don't get anywhere near as tired. Hope the soreness doesn't interfere with your holiday.

Don't think of it as "giving in". Think of it as a temporary adjustment to your schedule till you are capable of more. :D

Cat

Hang in there Pam, have you got sticky silicon pads?  Ask your prothstetist for some, even in your suction socket use the pads! 

I used these pads when I had suction sockets:

http://www.easyliner.com/sections/sec-extras/extras_pds.htm

They cushion the end of your tibia when it comes in contact with the bottom of the socket. They worked very well for me.

Regarding the sores Pam, I would suggest what you are doing anyway; take it easy for a few days.

In my opinion, if you want your leg to be ready for your holiday, I would avoid putting your leg on unless you really have to. If you do have to, just keep it on for a minimum amount of time, then take it off again and rest up! If your sores are cuts/abrasions, then I'd imagine that air is the best thing for them to heal.

Most of all though, enjoy your holiday!!!! I really hope you have a great time! :D :angry:

Pam, I am so sorry to hear about the sore, it does get frustrating when those things happen. :( You know, I was like you, wanted to get right back to work and felt I could do just what I used to, but my body had different ideas!! :angry: I too think that's why I had so many problems at first wanting to do everything all at once. I found out, for me any ways, that it wasn't to be and I had to give up my job completely. :( It was a hard thing to deal with and I cried all the time, cos I've always worked, but knew I had to come to terms and do what was best for my body/health. I still miss working and being with people, which is why I've decided that I'm going to the amputee group sessions they have and maybe I can be of help to someone. Perhaps if you just take it a little easier, at least until you get a real good fit, and you WILL, but by having the sore, your body is trying to tell you, 'I can't keep up'! ;) We hate to see anyone in our family have to deal with pain :( so please go slow and let that heal up good, then hopefully this new one will work much better and you'll be on your way painfree!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Kindness goes a long ways, so let there be enough for everyone.

It's hell when your body can't keep up with your mind, isn't it? I still get tired quicker than I used to. We just have to work harder when wearing the prosthesis. Take it easy so you can enjoy that terrific cruise you're taking.

Sems like I remember somebody mentioning Bandaid Liquid Bandage for sores and/or blisters.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all your replies. I have been taking it easy for the last couple of days. Have visited my physio each morning, she is really great and gives me good advice, much the same as everyone else has given me, mostly to slow down a bit and listen to my body, so its a good job the holiday is coming up, I can sit by the pool all day with a good book and a long bacardi and coke, can't wait.

Afet, when you had your suction legs, did you find it hard to get them off. It was really funny last night when I was getting ready for bed, I must have struggled for 10 mins trying to press the valve and pull at the same time, in the end I had to get my hubby to give me a hand, we laughed, I just had this vision in my head of two inebriated people trying to get my leg off while we are on holiday, should be a laugh if nothing else, so if anyone can give me a tip of an easier way it would be very much appreciated. :lol:

Afet, when you had your suction legs, did you find it hard to get them off.

Hmmm, I may have been a little confused. :huh:

I assumed you meant that you had a regular type suction leg, one that is held one with a suspension sleeve and does not need the valve to be pushed to release your leg from it. This is the type of suction legs that I used when I wore those distal pads.

I didn't have any trouble taking these legs off at all. I just rolled down the sleeve, and hey presto! my leg came out!

The fact that you are having trouble getting the leg off tells me that you are possibly using the Seal-In Liner, from Ossur. Is that right?

Well, if that IS the leg you have, I have had the same trouble. My valve is faulty, apparently, and no matter how hard anybody pushes the valve, it simply won't let my leg go!! My prosthetist usually has to unscrew the valve to release the suction, which defeats the purpose of this 'user friendly' system. He has spoken to Ossur, who confirm that it must be a faulty valve. We are waiting for a new one to be delivered.

However, I'm not too fussed; my prosthetist and I have let this system take a back seat now, as I'm quite happy with my pin legs, which I'm having a lot of success with. We might even give up completely with the Seal-In's now.

Shame, as they were quite comfortable. <_<

I would definitely get your prosthetist to take a look at it, if this is the case with you. You don't want to be stuck with your leg on while you're on your on your hols, you're meant to be relaxing! B)

Afet, thanks for replying, I have the iceross suspension sleeve, but there has been a new development since I last posted. I have now found that whilst I have been doing quite a lot of sitting at work (due to painful leg), my leg has been slipping off of its own accord, I immediately got on to the limb centre, but just my luck, the physio's and my prosthetist were on half days today, so I missed them, but they have given me an 8.30am appointment for Tuesday morning, whether I arrive there at that time is another matter as it is 20 miles away in Manchester, the traffic is horrendous at that time in a morning, but I will get there eventually. I must admit I am panicking a bit now, we go on holiday in the early hours of Friday morning, I have one leg which is miles too big and another that won't stay on and if it does I can't get the darn thing off, it could be a very eventful holiday, lol.

The one thing I am more worried about is that whilst my blister has now healed, I am still having to use my crutches as the leg is very painful to bear weight on. One conclusion I have come to is that my leg has shrunk even more since my casting a month ago, so that my leg of less than one week old is now too big as well, help, has anyone any ideas?? :(

Do you have a clear plastic type of socket?

I have changed from the old suction to the new and it is a clear plastic, rather sticky and hard to get off! It is best to take off slowly-you can get road rash if taking it off too quickly.

I have had a sore spot too. Just got my leg and couldn't bare weight on it. but the leg man put a spacer in to relieve the pressure.

I have put some aqua-jell on the sore spot, then put my leg on and this seems to help! We think the socket rubs there.

Hope you have fun this week-end.

Hey Pam,

Hope you get everything worked out with your leg tomorrow. Your cruise is going to be great and NOTHING is going to interfere with it! I just know it.