Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Afet

Amputee Running

Following on from Tint's thread about his participation in a physiotherapy event here in England (click this to see that thread), which was led by Robert Gailey, Ph.D, PT, I have found some interesting articles that Robert Gailey has written on amputee running.

Also, thanks to the glossary provided by Marcus, I can actually understand some of the terms used in the article! ;)

The Biomechanics of Amputee Running

Five Steps for the Introduction to Lower Limb Amputee Running

Happy running everyone!

Thanks for that info. Running is something I've yet to master properly. I'm not too confident with it yet.

one hint that I can give you is that having the right foot REALLY helps

Unfortunately Marcus, it was the right foot that got amputated :P

That was excellent Afet thanks for sharing that.

The bio-mechanics of it all fascinate me.

Makes me wonder though how much better my running could have been if I'd been able to get beyond SACH foot.

I don't have a right foot either.Hmmmm.....does that make my left foot my wrong foot?

You're probably right with regard to the feet Marcus but it would still be nice to give some others a go and see what I could do ;)

Some are mediocre, and there are some that are a step below a wooden peg (actually there isn't a whole lot wrong with a peg).

And ain't that the truth Marcus. I've lost count the number of times I've had my hopes built up by the 'speel' about some new foot that's meant to help one attain higher activity levels only to find that they aren't all they're cracked up to be. The most recent time I fell for this one was when I agreed to have an Elation foot and well we've seen and read some of the feedback on them on here-I'm wondering if you can tell me Marcus if it's possible to do a straight swap from an Elation onto a Runway without having to have a new leg done from scratch or are we talking about totally different components altogether because I've decided this is what I want to try next??

Don't get me wrong I CAN run on my elation but it's actually far harder than it was on a flex foot and any deviation in the ground knocks my stump around in the socket REALLY badly and there are times when I'd swop it happily for a peg-in fact a friend suggested something like this but with a spring in the end so I can boing around kind of like Zebbadee of Magic Roundabout fame (cos I'm not far off that being so hyper anyways lol) :) :D B)

(actually there isn't a whole lot wrong with a peg).

Marcus

You can always look at one of these http://jleg-enabled.20fr.com/ for off road it cannot be touched.

I think sometimes if more thought was given to function rather than aethstetics, we would all be a lot happier. Running blades prove my point, I like a peg because it gives me another club in my bag. It also allows me to drive at golf! :D

PJ