Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mulerider

Flexible socket

Thanks Ally. There are so many variables to narrow down-but I should still have no pain to walk. It is happening when I first put it on now, and I have been putting it on 3 to 4 times to see if I can get it right....so it is back to the prosthetics department. I am sure they will figure it out.

When things like this happen it is not our fault. I'll let you know more as to what they do. They are good.

Ally, is your prosthetics guy in Chicago or New York? Ask him if he has met or heard of Bill Sampson?

Erm, I'm at the arse-end of Africa......down South to be exact....

:lol:

I think my prosthetist is going to be one of the first from South Africa to attend a MAS workshop. He's been experimenting with the design on his own and he is very excited about going to the States to learn the 'real' thing. In fact, I think he is due to go on the 20th...

I've read loads of postings about the MAS socket, and it seems to me that 99% of the patients who have problems, are fitted by their own prosthetists. People that were fitted in Mexico, seem to get it right first time. Seems like you have to develop a 'knack' for this new design.

Let me know how it goes...

Ally

Hi Mulerider

My prosthetist is back and hugely excited about this design. He called it 'controversial' in that it is so different from what he has been taught in the past.

He had a patient there, and they made 3 test sockets for her and he says she has incredible comfort and mobility. He mentioned that at least 3 test sockets should be made and walked on before the final socket is set. I did pose your concerns to him, and this is what he sent back to me. Hope the medical bits mean more to you than me, I am still a bit clueless when it comes to this... here goes....

Hi Ally,

Yes you are correct. Donning the MAS a few mm in the wrong direction could make the world’s difference.

The ramus can not tolerate any pressure distally, but can take a fare amount of pressure from the medial side. Because the fitting is so close to the distal ramus it could cause problems. Sometimes the amp. confuses pressure on the pubic bone with distal ramus pressure. If the amp. did not have the opportunity to wear the test socket for a few days (continuously); I would say that could be the reason why she is still not comfortable. Newly fitted amps should wear the test socket for a few days in order to sort out any possible changes, prior to finishing the prosthesis.

I still believe that you have every reason to look forward to your new MAS socket, and to have your buttocks back.

Marco

Anyway, I think it's going to be my turn sometime next week, so I will keep you all updated. I have come accross some amps who, once receiving it and raining praises over it, have now decided to remove their endorsement. Then again, there are others who are over the moon.

Please God let me fall into the latter....

How you doing these days.....??

Ally

Hi Mickey - this post is for you. You mentioned a while up the thread that you moved from a Quad socket to a MAS. And at the time you were thrilled.

Is is still going as well as before? No sweating problems, no blisters, no sore spots? And have you got more mobility and a 'cuter bum' in jeans.....

*sigh* those 'better buttocks' better look better...... so much hype *sigh*

Please let us know if you are still finding your MAS socket comfortable and giving you more freedom than the last socket. You had quite a drastic change....is it painfree all the time? Can you use it the whole day without getting sore?

Have you found any disadvantages using this socket compared to the old one, and are you completely off crutches. And when you sit down, do you still have to worry about ruining a good pair of pants (you know how they tend to wear down at the rump)?

Please share,

Thanks Kindly

Ally <---- getting wee bit nervous

Hi Ally

Sorry I haven't posted for a while but I am not the greatest of letter writers but I will certainly answer any questions regarding the MAS socket anyone may have.

I am going very well with my socket, certainly NO sweating, no sore spots and never had a blister. Comfort is still out of this world, the difference is just unbeleivable. I wear it for 12 to 14 hours a day and no problems when I take it off. As regards wearing jeans my wife says that they hang a lot better and don't appear to be wearing anywhere as before with the old leg.

There is no comparision to my old quadrilateral socket and this new MAS socket with regards to comfort and mobility. I must stress though that I did have it fitted in Mexico by Marlo himself.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick response Micky.

I'm going for my first fitting next week. Am looking forward to it. A bit nervous, but that is surely always the case when you're about to try something new that could affect your mobility.

And I am SOOOO pleased that you are enjoying your leg now. It doesn't take much to make us amputees happy, does it? Just give us a passionate prosthetist ;) and a good fit :P and we're a happy and satisfied people B) !

Ally