Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mulerider

Flexible socket

The flexible MAS socket, is great for me and the prostetisis. I needed to have some adjustments and they were easy to narrow down and fix.

My sore spot caused by rubing on the sticky surface was cured with a glob of aqua-jell.

I am finally giving this baby a test drive. Anybody watching the Indy today?

I am finally giving this baby a test drive. Anybody watching the Indy today?

Wow, that fast eh?? :lol: ;) :lol:

Well, not that fast. I wore it today, all day, and the same spot is giving me a problem. My thought is to break it in slowly. I feel a little down in the dumps at the moment.

I haven't had a socket change in 30 years. But I remember when I first started out they told me to wear the leg for a few hours at a time.

I don't know. This socket is so different from my old one. :unsure:

Hi - I am Ally, right above knee amp from South Africa. I had a quad socket for the best part of 9 years. Had the same socket for about 6 of those years, so the fit was just SO bad. Was never able to walk without a crutch...ho hum, didn't realise that what I was using was so bad.

Anyway, bumped into a prosthetist quite by accident, and he suggested an ischial (sp?) containment socket. Man was I excited. I had all this new information and I felt very liberated and quite sure that I was going to be walking with ease soon. Couple that with a new total knee - I was going to be speedy herself.

Quite a shock to the system when I got the new leg though. For about a month I was dead sure that I wasn't going to cope at all with the new socket. I was so used to flapping around in the quad socket, that the new tight fit nearly drove me up the wall.

That was in August last year. Now I would rather have no leg than go back to the old one. Actually, am quite appalled at the lack of information and support available in this country. I can't believe that I battled for so long and simply accepted the fact that being an amputee meant constant discomfort on a daily basis. And for the first time in my 10-year long amputee life, I am walking without the aid of a crutch!

Now this prosthetist is going to the States in July to a MAS Socket workshop - he will be the first in SA to try this technique. He has asked me to be his first victim and after reading up on this, must say, I am quite looking forward to it.

Anyway, after waffling on ad nauseum, I think my point was - it's really difficult to try a different socket fit. I was totally depressed when I didn't automotically take to my new one and glide away like a swan. :ph34r: Silly me. So just persevere. And I will be watching this thread with baited breath.....

Ally

Hi, like you Ally I have had a quad socket for 29 years was never aware of or knew of any other alternative until finding this site 8 months ago.

Since then I have done some research and was amazed at what was available.

Without going on too much, after having a conversation with Mr Ortiz, my wife and myself have just got back from mexico having been fitted with a MAS socket and the difference is just unbelievable. It has taken a couple of weeks to get used to the change but the things I can now do I could never have envisaged. All I wanted was a comfortable socket and to be free from pain and discomfort and he certainly acheived that. :)

Sorry to sound dumb, but would someone mind explaining a 'quad' socket, please? :ph34r:

I know that it probably won't be relevant to me, a BKA, but I love learning about the different types of prosthetics available.

Ally and Micky, I am so pleased that you two have been able to find a comfortable socket at long last. :D :D

Micky, that's fantastic! So glad to hear this - I know what it's like to just resign yourself to a life of constant pain on a less-than-reliable leg.

Isn't it amazing what we can achieve if we are armed (or should that be legged) with the right information?

Yay for you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am SO not surprised that you don't know what a quad socket is. It is really antiquated technology. However, it is still the method that is primarily taught to prosthetists in this country. I believe that in the States, the quad socket was dumped about 10 years ago.

It can be either suction, or with straps, but the shape is really square at the top. The whole socket is hard and fits quite high, no soft bits.

Perhaps someone with a more technical brain can explain it better.

Sorry to sound dumb, but would someone mind explaining a 'quad' socket, please? :blink:

I know that it probably won't be relevant to me, a BKA, but I love learning about the different types of prosthetics available.

Ally and Micky, I am so pleased that you two have been able to find a comfortable socket at long last. :D :D

I found a website with a "Then and Now" section on prosthetics. It has an image of the quadrilateral socket. Amputee Resource

That was fascinating Lark.......Great job :D :D :D

Afet, found this on the Amputee-Coalition site. The chief difference I have found between the old quad socket and the new ischial containment socket is better stability, and definately way more comfort.

Ally

Socket shapes have changed over the years. During the 1950s, there was an evolution to the quadrilateral socket. This design has two chief physical characteristics:

• The socket looks square when viewed from the top.

• It contains a contoured area for the ischium (part of the hip bone) to sit on called the ischial seat.

At first glance, you might think, “The thigh's not shaped like that. It's not square. What good is this socket?” But the socket is specifically designed to be narrower from front to back (anterior to posterior) to hold the residual limb back, keeping the ischium up on the ischial seat. The individual actually sits up on the back rim of the socket. To accomplish this, the socket must be higher in front than in back. There's a downside, though. The high front wall of the socket often digs uncomfortably into the groin area, especially while the person is sitting. But if the front wall is lower, the leg slides forward and the ischium falls off the ischial seat. Sometimes, it's a no-win situation.

Transfemoral sockets began to change dramatically in the 1970s and '80s. Most sockets now are narrower from side to side (medial, the inside part of the thigh, to lateral, the outside part). The ischium, instead of sitting up on top of an ischial seat, is contained down in the socket. The femur, rather than sitting straight in the socket, is tipped inward to distribute some of the weight onto the lateral side. This is called adduction. Adducting the femur also helps stretch the hip abductors (butt muscles) a little, making them stronger and improving their mechanical advantage. If the femur is not secure and it drifts out, these muscles are mechanically weaker. Also, when the femur is tipped in, more weight can be put on the side of the thigh, and the hip muscles are positioned to provide better balance.

Thanks Lark and Ally for helping me understand. :)

Lark, I had actually posted that very same article here, maybe about a year ago, and had totally forgotten that there was an explanation of the quad socket in there. :lol:

D'oh!! :blink: Thanks for posting it. :D

Ally,

Thanks for posting that interesting article. It explained how each of the different sockets work and the benefits found with each one. It's all clearer to me now.

Thanks! :D

I was totally depressed when I didn't automotically take to my new one and glide away like a swan. :blink: Silly me. So just persevere.

This is a really good point Ally, many amps especially new one's expect as you put it just to glide away! It just doesn’t happen that way, most of the amps on this forum that have good sockets have worked hard with their prothsetists in getting what is right for them.

Containment was the way forward for me also, a change of prothsetist some thinking outside of the box and we're all happy, it took me 18 months and we are still researching.

Building an action plan with your prothsetist is a must, if possible have a test leg at the centre, for AK's you can try a different knee, foot, shock, the manufacturers are usually ok with lending a bit of kit! But you must get the socket right!! This way disappointment is not an issue, i.e. you are not expecting to walk home on it!

:huh:

PJ

My test socket was made of a different material than the new socket, and it took a little while for me to put a human patina on this sticky surface. I have found to go light on powder and I use a jel to reduce friction. I have gone all day on this leg and I am starting to really like it.

My,my all of you have done your homework-and so smart as to knowing everything. I must say, that sort of energy has gone by the way side-and over time, because up until a year ago I was fine with what I had (good for 12 years) but now there are so many choices! I can see that it requires an education.

I am so glad that WE are asking our prosthetic doctors to get things right. Mine works best in finding and solving the problem. At first I didn't think he was that patient, but now I know he is very good.

Ally, I think that you will like this socket. It gives you some added flexibility, and freeness. I will keep you updated. :)

Awesome!

Can't wait - saw my prosthetist today and he is quite excited as well.

Thanks, am keeping an eager eye on this thread.

Ally

Ally, what is it like living in South Africa?

LOL

It's not too scary if you don't look around too much.

There is no such thing as a house that is not completely fenced and barred in (insurance won't touch you and you'll be lucky to last a few days). And having one terrifying dog isn't enough, because the baddies can get past that too easily. You need 2 or 3 at least. And 99.9% of us have had at least 1 car stolen.

Stats (which are notoriously understated) indicate that a 3 in 4 girls will be raped, and 3 in 5 boys. There is allegedly a rape every 28 seconds, and a violent crime (like aggravated robbery, hi-jackings etc) every 36 seconds. Kind of difficult to get one's head around those numbers.

I don't know of one person who hasn't been either directly affected by a violent crime, or is very close to someone who has. The days of reading about vicious attacks in the newspaper and tut-tutting are over. Now it is someone you know.

Illegal firearms are a joke. They are just everywhere. The police even advertised pubicly that there was an amnesty offered to everyone with an illegal firearm, if they simply dropped the weapons and ammunition off at their nearest police station. Yeah right.

If you have no health insurance, the government hospitals will kill you, without a doubt, hands down. If you can't afford at least a half private school, your children will be illiterate. No question there either.

Children can no longer walk or bike to school. That's just a no-no. Kids are being murdered for their cell phones and their bicycles.

In fact, a friend of mine and I were chatting about kids the othe day. Our very clever health minister stated in a national newspaper that 90% of our children are overweight because they watch too much tv and they are becoming lazy couch potatoes. Well, said friend wrote a hopefully enlightening letter back to the paper very gently explaining to our clearly hands-on minister of health just exactly why these children aren't getting out and about as 'we' were able to not even 15 years ago.

Our generation grew up in a country where after school, we disappeared for hours. On the streets, in the parks, with friends, on the beach....and if we got home for supper, or before the sun set completely, everything was ok. Now, if your child is missing for 20 minutes every member of your family shares in the IMMEDIATE panic. There is NO way our children can make their own way to and from school - they have to be dropped off and picked up. Bicycles are becoming obsolete. They can't walk around the corner to Johnny's house, because they'll disappear and their bodies will be found a few weeks later (if ever) in some God forsaken place next to a highway. These children are prisoners in their own homes.

On the other hand, South Africans are now so used to all the violent crime, that we no longer notice how much we have to do to protect ourselves. It's the first thing overseas visitors notice and they are quick to point this out...and then we remember and remove the blinkers (only for a moment mind you), and think, damn, so true!

I am rambling.

HOWEVER - Africa gets into your blood and under your skin. We have the most beautiful coastline which changes completely from hour to hour. From tropical, to hilly & tufty, to sandy & desertlike, through wet & misty rain forests, to sweeping mountains that take your breath away. And of course, there is nothing quite like the African bush.

This is a very special country. It never leaves you once you have lived here. We are such a rainbow nation, and a good part of the peoples are trying very hard to understand their differences and develop a tolerance and respect for eachother. This is awesome to see. I think a large majority of us are 'missing' the most amazing changes, that in the most part, have happened relatively without incident. To have an entire nation do a 360% turn in a very short space of time is an achievement of historical note.

So, what's it like living in South Africa? It's a good life if you don't weaken.

Ally

Hlala gahle

Sister of the Soil

:)

Wow Ally, It sounds awsome.

I grew up in New York City and it was different; safe and personal. You could go anywhere and not worry, but not now. I don't live there any more, but I visit to get my fill of culture. And there is crime, and you have to be careful.

Well, my flexible socket has been giving me some problems. There is a rough spot on the bottom that might be the culprit. My legman has gone on vacation-probably with the money I just paid him for my leg. He won't be able to see me until the 28th...nice vacation!

So, I am using old faithful.

I've visit both recently and I'm afraid NY was the most hostile, SA has such massive problems that I doubt if it can be resolved this century, NY is a melting pot of culture striving for the yankee dollar.

The future for both is difficult and probably violent, any societies that could murder people such as Biko or Lennon have huge issue's. :(

PJ

Yip Paul - huge issues.

Sad really, especially when some days there doesn't seem to be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Although, having said all that, I visited a comedy club in Jo'burg central (NOBODY goes to Jo'burg central in the dark anymore) and it was, as expected, predominantly black.

I SO enjoyed seeing black comedians, it's unusual here, (I am a booking agent) and the atmosphere was just divine. Felt all patriotic and warm.......that was a nice feeling. Doesn't happen often. Definitely going back.

Gotta love Africa on a good day.

Ally

Mulerider - was wondering how you were doing with the new socket.....is it behaving?

Ally

Sad really, especially when some days there doesn't seem to be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Ally

What are the feelings towards the UK over the Live 8, and the whole Geldof, Blair G8 summit?

PJ :blink:

Paul, quite honestly, I am going to need some time to gather my thoughts regarding that one. :rolleyes:

Ally, I am having good and bad days.

It seems weird that the prosthetic guy will fix the problem, I walk out of there and then I have the same problem a few days later-GO FIGURE? I don't know if it is the heat, maybe I am putting it on wrong, or have lost some weight....This is so new to me that it is getting rather confusing, AND I am sitting here a bit tryed and a bit sad-NEEDING SOME ANSWERS.

Sorry I don't have any good news right now.

I hope that the G-8 summit helps the world. What I didn't like is Bush did not address global warming as a problem. He said it will hurt the economy-but what about the ice caps, the world, the people and the animals?

I am so sorry to hear this. I have heard good and bad reports about the new socket. If it is hurting you, then someone has done something wrong. Period.

I have also heard that heat and sweating is a major problem with this socket. I am going to forward your post to my prosthetist. He is going to the workshop next week, and if he is armed with all these 'complaints', make no mistake, he will bring them up, and get us answers.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE SORE. If I have learnt anything, this is it!

I believe that there is no room for error with the MAS socket. If you put it on wrong, if it is slightly off, then it hurts like a demon. And just a slight adjustment can make the world of difference.

Please keep in touch. You shouldn't be having these problems.

Love

Ally

:rolleyes: