Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
hash

Stump HELP

:unsure:does anyone know if it is normal for the tendons to click on the bone of an aka causing o lot of pain and discomfort. It feels as though the tendon is crossing the bone like crossing your fingers then springing back to where it should be

Ouch...that sounds painful! :unsure:

It sounds as though one of your tendons is tight. Every now & then, I have a bit of trouble with tendons - usually in my shoulder and sometimes in my legs. I usually use ease up on activity for a few days & use heat - hot water bottles. And, if I can I try to gently stretch the tendon (after I've applied heat). Although, to stretch the tendon you need to know what is going on with your muscles & tendons. I would have thought that a physio would be able to help you there.

Oh...I nearly forgot...check that your prosthesis is fitting OK too.

Hope it feels better soon! :)

Lizzie

Thanks for that my GP doesn't seem to have a clue he thinks that all tendons are removed so advised me to go back to limb centre.

Hi All:

I have has the same situation for a long time now. In my case, it is not a tendon thing per sec but rather a combination of a wad of scar tissue mixed in with adhesion areas over the bone. As a result, sometimes my stump twacks inside as the mass snaps over the bone end.

This happens more often when I have abused the stump with over use. The only thing I have found that helps this is adding more than necessary socks to try to jam the puppy in place mixed with a good shot of rum to dull the pain.

ED

Hi Hash,

I'm a BK, but I am experiencing the same thing. I am STILL trying to get a new set of prothesis (it's a LONGGGGGGG story). Anyway, we went back to the idea of supracondular. That's the type where the prosthesis fits really tight above the side of your knee. They build up a wedge to sort of grab hold. Well, apparently there's a tendon that runs along the same area & when that wedge goes across it BOING! Like plucking a guitar string. They cut back on the thickness of that wedge & it's better, but I'm not wearing the set all day YET. Easing into them, you know. So, it sounds very similar. There must be something on the prosthesis that's causing you this sensation. If you're not wearing the leg, can you duplicate the feeling just by moving your limb? Ask your prosthetist again. It doesn't hurt to ask, hurts if you don't ask. ;)

Linda

Hi Hash,

I have the same thing and I have been told it's the muscle flipping over the bone ending......boy does it hurt!

It has got less frequent as I have upped the exercise to strengthen the muscles, painful in itself but it obviously works.

Speak to you physio about it.

Keep smiling. :D .......Lynne