Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
trwinship

Leg Removal Etiquette

I have to admit I usually don't have to take my leg off much in fact most days I wear it for 16 hrs. Today I've had it on for 14 hrs and a good 4 hrs of it was out in the yard installing a fish pond.. Yahooooooooooooooo!! I still have some work to do but it's almost there and I'll be adding fish this week sometime hopefully by friday! I'll take a picture and post it so you all can see all my hard work (well hubby gets some credit to I guess).

Looking forward to seeing your pond Brenda :D

My leg stays on 99% of the time. I might kick it off if I'm sitting reading, but only so I can use it as a foot rest :lol:

Hey that worked really well :D

By the way I bought a webcam....LOL :D :D :P :P

but who wants to kneel in a strange publicly used shower?
George Michael maybe?? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Linda

Never trust a man with a surname that is a christian name :huh:

What about a woman??

I don't know if it's removing the prosthesis that bugs people, or if it's seeing the limb, or maybe the shock of finding out you're an amputee. In any case, I don't think the chance that someone might feel offended is above your right to be comfortable.

There's lots of other stuff that's not exactly pretty to look at like, I don't know, Gorbachov's wierd forehead birthmark, but I didn't see anyone asking him to wear a hat all the time to cover it up.

(Sorry. That was the best example I could think of right now) :rolleyes:

Point is, you look how you look. You're entitled to that without having to accomodate someone's potential displeasure at the expense of your freedoms.

Prothstetic limbs dropping off all over, there dead jealous in my office it's a great way of getting attention. I get my lunch collected also!!

Funny what Cat said about surnames, my wifes ex surname is John she would agree!! :P

PJ

That's why I asked if it was the same for women with a Christian surname. Mine is Marie. ;)

I ALWAYS trust women no matter what they call themselves ;)

How about men who have a surname for a christian name?? :huh:

OOOOOpppppppppppppppps!!!! :D :D :D :D

Oh dear what have I started? :huh::blink:

I am glad I came to this board-he,he.

An AKA has a much harder time poping the leg off.

I did have a boy friend that once said "throw that chunk of wood off and get into bed." I did love his raw humor.

Well, I do prefere more refined qualities in a man, but you pay the price of someone being a bit put off.

I am a modest person. when I went to Iceland, to the blue lagoon, I was so emabarassed about taking my leg off and showering that one icelandic women came over and helped me. She was so kind! I was comfortable after that.

After so many years of being an AKA I don't care about who I am. That sounded funny-It doesn't bother me any more and I figure if it bothers someone else it is something they must think about-not me, I am done thinking or worring about it.

Cat...it cracked me up to see that picture of you using your leg as a leg rest....I do that ALL the time! it is the perfect height! I esp do it at the computer, under the desk. It is a bit trickier now, since I have a suction socket/sleeve and dont 'click it' on and off anymore...but it was so fun to see that someone else uses their leg as a footrest...thanks for the picture!

Judy

Utah

LBK

:D Hi cat ......... I liked the picture too .......... any other tricks you can show us with your webcam ?????

Debbie

I just got a new one today actually....have got some things planned.....big secret though :D :D :D

When I updated to XP my webcam no longer worked, but now I'm up and running again.

Thank God for ebay....LOL :lol:

:unsure:

Hi

Sometimes I leave my leg off when I go shopping with my husband,some people look and stare but most dont take any notice you might get a mother pull there child away if they keep looking but that dont worry me.I did hear someone say to another person that she did not think that was right me coming shopping like that but then you just ignore that and hope they are never in the same predicament as we are one day because i dont think they could cope with it.If I offend then sorry but i did not asked to lose my leg.

Regards Pat.

Hon I'm with you, my Dad has always been funny about people with 2 first names!

Paul? :rolleyes:

Having moved to a new city I went and checked out the Y for exercising. I was ok going to the place where I used to live because at the most there were 3 other people exercising at the same time as me. The town only has about 900 people in it and everyone knew my story. I could pop my leg off and adjust things and it would be ok. I'd still get stares but got used to it. I am really not comfortable going to a place where 100 people might be there with me and staring if I need to adjust. Decided I had enough to deal with right now and went and bought some used equipment so I can pop off whenever I want to at home.

Caroln