Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Hi from South Africa

Hi everyone - I am Ally from South Africa. Right above knee amputee, been 10 years now - MVA.

This is a stunning forum, am so glad I found you guys. Disabled people in South Africa are either rare (unlikely) or shy (yeah right) or clueless when it comes to finding other like-bodied individuals (my bet's on that one).

I look forward to spending some time here.

Ally

:)

Hi Ally, welcome to the site. I'm also an RAK. It's a great site I was over the moon when I found it.

Welcome again and enjoy your stay

Melissa

Hi Ally,

Welcome to the forum! :D

My name is Afet and I've been a bilateral BK amputee since July 2003. Pleased to meet you!

I agree, this forum is fantastic! But, it's the people here that make it what it is.

I know of one other member from South Africa. Perhaps JennyC will drop by soon and say hello. I think you two may have similar thoughts on the situation in South Africa.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay! ;)

Thanks Afet. The situation in South Africa is pathetic. So much so that Jenny has already mailed me. Spotting a fellow African on any forum is like a red light flashing for us.

And I agree totally, it's the people here that make this a fab place. :)

Hi

Yeh yeh yeh another South African, cant believe I have been the only one for nearly two years, thought it could of been the good medical care we get here !!!!!

Welcome Ally you are going to enjoy this forum like I have, great people. Please feel free to pm me its great to find another amputee from here.

Regards

Jenny

Hi Ally,

Welcome to the forum family. It's a great place with so many friendly people here. So pull up your chair get comfortable and join in when you can. I look forward to reading all your posts.

Welcome, Ally. This really is a great place and I look forward to getting to know you.

Hiya Ally and welcome to the family :D

Hope you enjoy your stay and I look forward to hearing heaps from you.

There's only 6 of us Aussies here and it's great when others come on board, I hope you and Jenny can be a force to be reckoned with.

Cheers,

Cat

Welcome Ally, :D

It's a great place to be. I'm a RBK since 2003.

Sue, Cardiff, UK

Welcome Ally

Just returned in April from holidaying in Capetown, awesome country with many issue's, I like the people very much, social equality is emerging fast, raising awareness on the radio for instance............you would never hear that in the UK!! :(

Good to have another Africain on the forum

PJ a Brit :D

Thanks - you are right, Cape Town is lovely. And talking about social equality, heard today that Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe is receiving treatment in a Johannesburg hospital.

Mmmm, tis a thing to ponder on. :huh:

Hi Ally:

You are right.............this is a stunning forum!! I believe it is the best on the web for new and old amps. So far, the peole here are not wacked in attitude (perhaps some are a bit warped though).

I sense that you will enjoy playing here.

ED

Hi Ally and welcome.

heard today that Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe is receiving treatment in a Johannesburg hospital.

Lobotomy perhaps <_< ;)

Cat, there may only be 6 Aussies on this site but they sound more like 600!! :P :lol: :lol:

Hi Ally and welcome!

I haven't posted for a long time but saw your post and had to respond. I'm from SA but have settled in London. Been in the UK for 6 years now, can't believe how time flies.

You're right, you don't get to meet other amps in SA.....unless you're in my family of course! We have 3 >> my dad (LBK), my uncle (RBK) and me (RAK since 18 months)! What an oddball family hey? :P

When I lived in Joburg I had my prosthesis made at Rosebank Orthopaedic. They're excellent, but being private its obviously expensive. Where do you go?

Glad you found these forums, they are a great support and provider of information.

Eish Mandy, expensive is NOT the word for prosthetics here. Unmanageable, unobtainable, exhorbitant...are all words that come to mind.

I was unceremoniously ushered off to the JHB Gen (government hospital) after my car accident. I didn't know what was going on. Nobody asked me if I wanted a leg, no-one explained the process, no-one told me how to look after my residual limb, there was no therapy or re-hab - BAM - I received the cheapest leg and off I went on my less-than-merry way.

Needless to say I never wore the damn thing for close to 2 years. Then I met a Christian prosthetics person and he made another socket for me. I used that for the next nearly 8 years. You can imagine how bad the fit was. And the knee lock was broken (hello petunias, here comes Ally...).

I never looked around for a better leg because I knew I couldn't afford it, and I didn't want to depress myself. One day I came across a site on the net about a young black girl who needed funds for a leg. The name of the prosthetist was on the site - Marco du Plooy - and to this day I don't know why, but I called him.

Well, I was right about not looking around! The quote was so damn high I nearly fell off my chair. R75,000.00 for a complete leg - hydraulic knee, new socket, etc. My medical aid only covers R15,000 per annum, and it doesn't accumulate. Mmm, let's see, that might get me a foot?

A week later, he phoned and said he had a slightly used Total 2000 knee for R15,000. Selling price in SA is around R35,000 to R40,000. So off I went to test drive this new and fabulous knee.

Anyway, I am waffling now. Marco and I spoke for a long time about my situation and he decided to write to my medical aid and ask for an ex-gratia payment. 2 months later they gave me R40,000 for a new leg.

I paid in R15,000.00 and I now have an ischial containment socket, total knee, some fancy foot AND I CAN WALK WITHOUT A STICK!

My point is (eventually) that getting basic prosthetics is just simply out of the reach of any normal South African. Pathetic. And so very sad.

The good news is.....there is a demonstration in Johannesburg on Friday for prosthetists (I think) of the Endolite knee. Marco called me and said that if I were prepared to be the "model", then the Endolite knee would be mine free of charge.

Marco du Plooy is attending a MAS socket workshop in the states in July and has asked me to be his "guinea pig" when he gets back. The down side is all the driving I will have to do for the fittings (1 hour each way). The up side is.....it's for free!

After 10 years of uphill battling, Ally finally heaves a sigh of relief, and sees some end in sight to her own crippling (excuse the pun) battle against prosthetics and the mega-price tag they come with. It's all leaving me a little breathless, and with undying gratitude for these gifts that came my way without me even daring to ask for them.

How blessed am I?

Good Grief!!! Has inflation gone silly in SA since I left then? I had a limb made at Rosebank Ortho in 95 'ish and paid in the region of R7000 (I didn't have med aid). It was a suction socket with hydraulic knee and some fancy foot. It lasted a very long time and was one of the most comfortable legs I'd had. I can't believe how much the cost has skyrocketed!

Poor you, I'm glad you've got some good luck coming your way. I'm very jealous - I really want a MAS socket as they are said to be the best but they are soooo pricey due to the intensive amount of labour that goes into them. You must tell us how it all pans out!

Good Luck for your modelling assignment and upcoming guinea pig trial. ;)

R75,000.00 for a complete leg - hydraulic knee, new socket, etc.

How blessed am I?

This B...S... really infuriates me, Bloody Tony Blair & George Bush could sort this issue out, but the sods make money out of peoples suffering. A few years ago I had questions asked in the House of Commons by my MP.

As to why prothstetic's are not available to all at affordable prices, the NHS could not answer, it was down to market forces B£$%&*£, it's down to greed and keeping third world nations dis-empowered. :angry:

Ally I bought a leg in Canada for under £1,000 pounds I still wear it today three years later. The inventor has offered it to manufacturers as a economical alternitive, he was told it was not needed of course not! Not when the manufactures are charging R75,000.00!

I'm sorry, we live in a sick world :( I'm please you feel lucky Ally, but we are the lucky ones..............If I could get Tony Blair on his own for 5 minutes I would let him know what he can impose with his G8 summit!! :blink:

PJ

I agree, I so agree. Prosthetics are a total grudge buy.

Would you give me the contact details of the Canadian supplier? I would like to mention this to my prosthetic person......

And thanks for the post. Preposterous. Can't think of another word at the moment. Am so damn sore from the pressure this new knee is giving me (it's heavier and the alignment is different). Going to drive through to my pros. this evening (at least 1 hour drive :huh: ) and he has got to do something about it. *Huff*. He wil have to grind away the inner top of this socket - I seem to have sunk into it and am taking way too much pressure on the groin area.

The joys..........someone mentioned the prodding and fiddling......well, I am going to go through that tonight. Hate it, argggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

Ally

Hi Ally, wishing you a belated welcome. After reading about the trouble you have gone through to get a prosthesis, it makes me realise how lucky we are in the UK to have the National Health Service. I would like some of the moaners in this country to read just what you have had to endure and maybe then they would not take things for granted so much :angry: