Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

:::Wild in TO :::

::: Wild in TO (Toronto) :::

I have decided to start this post a little early and will continue it when I get back.

On Friday coming, I will be flying to TO with my friend Raquelle to attend a conference for amputees as representatives of this province (Manitoba). This national conference is in regards to sports and recreation for amputees.

I have decided to “push” the envelope with this trip. I am going only in legs, only one cane and no wheelchair in sight. Raquelle has no problems as she is a fully functioning bilateral bk. We will return on the following Sunday am.

I have hopes of meeting with MJ at sometime. Whether she will make it remains to be seen.

This will be, for me, my first attempt at functioning with my full potential…so I hope all goes well. My stumps are a bit buggered from last week’s ladder climb.

ED

Fingers crossed all goes well and you have a great time! :D

Good luck, Ed. Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

I like your confidence Ed, good luck and enjoy yourself. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Kindness goes a long ways, so let there be enough for everyone.

Ed,

With your confidence in yourself and your positive attitude you'll be able to accompish this. I would take a pair of crutches if you can for the just in case. I know you want to be independant which I commend you for but it doesn't hurt to be prepared for the just in case you have a bad day. Good luck and let us know how it all goes. Hopefully MJ will show up and you two will get to meet in person.

((((((((( HUGS )))))))))

Good Luck Ed!

I am sure that you will do fine!

Let us know how it all turns out, I will be thinking about you the whole time!

Ted

Hi All:

‘Tis Monday am. We all arrived back from TO yesterday am.

Well, to be honest, I wasn’t so wild in TO……..way hot……..way windy ( I have not mastered a strong wind yet as I seen to act as a sail and either have a real tendency to blow over or the wind whips my leg units out of control.)

I learned much about myself………I am not as “good” as I thought……I have a long way to go……..people like to “look” at me a lot when they noticed something “funny” about me………I can handle any situation presented in one way or the other………all things are really “harder” for a bilateral aka compared to a bilateral bka………

Positive things about this trip:

1. I accomplished this totally with one cane. The fact is that I walk better with one cane than two. I know now that I do need two canes in strong wind and that I probably always will.

2. I can use my “disability” as an advantage to get ON the plane first but I do not use it to get OFF the plane. It was so nice not to be forced to be the last one off!!!

3. Once again, I experienced no problem with room between the seats for my leg units. I have only experienced problems on charter aircraft where they cramp in as many seats as possible on that kind of plane.

4. I survived Toronto International Airport…….on foot!

5. The gangway ramps are not a problem. In fact, they gave me my first opportunity to truly try out this “normal” walk down a ramp with my C leg units.

6. My hotel room as NOT a “disabled” room. Therefore in my future I no longer need this arrangement. Problems with getting in the tub were overcome by using a recycling box as a “step” to get to the edge of the tub. The placement of the toilet was in such a way as I have never encountered before and after a little planning and thought was mastered. The lack of any hand rails was not an issue. Getting into the bed from the floor was not an issue.

7. The other amps attending this meeting were all long time amps. Granted, there were none such as myself, but to see and interact with people who have gone through what I am going through, to see them as comfortable and natural as they all were with their devices, …………………was for me a true eye opener. The experience has given m new goals to strive for and much hope for later on.

Negative things about this trip:

1. I did not meet up with MJ. I “looked” out for her for most of the time period that I had set aside. If she happened to show up and I missed her, I apologize. She does not know my full name to date and in that situation, would not know how to track me down in the hotel.

2. DO NOT DAMAGE ONE’S STUMPII BEFORE A VENTURE LIKE THIS!! I suffered somewhat from climbing the ladder the weekend before and it did limit me more than I would like to admit.

3. Wind “sucks”!!!

4. Extreme heat “sucks”.

5. When “using” one of those electric carts (you know, the ones that drive around picking up old farts too fat to walk)………sit in the front seat…….not the back one……that way you see where you are going…..not where you have been…….and maybe you won’t miss the signs you were supposed to be looking for………so that you don’t have to walk 10,000 miles to go where you were supposed to!!!!!

All in all, the experience, for me, was a positive one.

ED

Hi Ed

Great posting Ed!! :D

It's great that you had such a good experience. It all sounds quite an achievement! :)

Lizzie

PS I've always found wind a big problem in the keeping upright department and heat can be pretty intolerable too...but both together... :blink:

PS I've always found wind a big problem in the keeping upright department

:lol:

PS I've always found wind a big problem in the keeping upright department

Leave it Muz!!! <_< :lol:

And you Marcus, don't think I've forgotten you!! ;)

Ed, I'm really glad you enjoyed your trip, and that you learnt many things from it. I'm sure that you will not only achieve but TOTALLY nail all the new goals that you have set yourself! B)

Well done Ed sounds like a mostly positive experience :)

That wind can be a bugger though :lol:

3. Wind “sucks”!!!
That wind can be a bugger though 

If it sucks I can understand that :blink: :lol: :lol:

Ed, glad that you enjoyed yourself. I'm not sure if MJ's absence can be explained by her bee encounter or if that was just an unlucky coincidence.

It's good to be able to go somewhere different as the unfamiliar can present new challenges that you haven't come across before as well as letting you realise just what can be accomplished.

Muz , you saidded : " ... I'm not sure if MJ's absence can be explained by her bee encounter or if that was just an unlucky coincidence. ... "

Ummm , errr , ummm , excusseing gurl me ????????? :blink::blink::angry: GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR . What iis theere that I neednessing to expalinniing ??????????

angrynes gurl :angry::angry::angry:

And you Marcus, don't think I've forgotten you!!  ;)

But I was VERY nice all weekend. . .didn't post anything bad at all :D

That's because you didn't post anything at all. :blink:

You were in Chicago, remember?!!! :lol: :P

Hey MJ

............sorry we did not connect............sorry to hear about the bee sting...I know how much these things hurt, not to mention being allergic to them. Hope you are ok now. However..............................

The next time I am ever in TO ( not for a long, long time)......and we make an arrangement........and you are not there gurl............for any reason.........to pick me up in your sports car.........to take me dancing with you.........to shop in legs 'til I or you drop........and go out to the restaurant with the highest steps in the city.........and take on the escalators in the malls...............or take me as a spectator while you are running:

I would then be.....a wee bit upset!

You have been warned :) :) :) :) :lol: ........

Mosquito Man :blink:

ED

Congradulations Ed,

It does not matter if you did well or not (even though you did), what is important is that you went in the first place!

I know how much courage that takes to go out in the "real world" by yourself.

You have made a "big step" (pardon the pun) towards the future.

Again,

Congradulations Ed!

Ted