Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NoMoreLandmines

Thank you Heather!!

Today, Heather was in Trafalgar Square to launch the drive for more blood donation (please see www.blood.co.uk for more info) and I got to meet her briefly and she was lovely. So thanks for being so nice to me, and you looked sensational; love the shoes!! :D

www.isifa.com has some nice images of today, everyone. B)

The irony is that having received blood or blood products during surgery there are very few of us here who can donate any more :(

I know what you mean. But you know, you could volunteer with one of the charities instead. Even a few hours a week makes a huge difference. And it doesn't matter that you're disabled; I'm sure they'll be more than grateful for the help. :)

Go to www.blood.co.uk for more info or Google it. ;)

The irony is that having received blood or blood products during surgery there are very few of us here who can donate any more

Sorry being Ally-come-lately here, but I have never been told I couldn't donate blood for this reason.

??

:blink:

Wow, Afet. A whole lot of willing people, but not a lot of answered questions.

I have donated blood since my accident. I went there without my leg. They must have known that I had received a blood transfusion. They knew it was a trauma accident.

The question of me not being able to donate never came up.

You think maybe it's just the Africa thing again???

Ally

<_<

It's more likely because us Brits may have contracted CJD (the human variant of Mad Cow Disease) from a blood transfusion. The disease is almost impossible to diagnose in its early stages and can only really be confirmed after death so to avoid the risk of having it passed on you are prevented (in the UK) from donating in the future.

Mmmm, ok, thanks Muz.

Ally

You may find answers to your questions at this site or this site - if you go to the home page of the last site, there's an 'are you a suitable donor?' quiz.

I'd love to give blood - to repay the favour - but I've recieved blood myself (5 units in the past two yrs) and I'm not heavy enough.

Lizzie

Thanks Lizzie

I was allowed to donate about 8 months after my accident. I just tipped the weight scale, and they never asked how bad my injuries were. Or where I was treated.

Ally

:angry:

It's only within the last year that that restriction has been in place here in the UK, previous to that I gave a fair bit and even managed to get my account at the blood bank back into positive figures i think :).

It does seem a bit silly given the level of risk involved and the fact that recipients probably make keen donors!

Mike

Today, Heather was in Trafalgar Square to launch the drive for more blood donation (please see www.blood.co.uk for more info) and I got to meet her briefly and she was lovely. So thanks for being so nice to me, and you looked sensational; love the shoes!! :D

www.isifa.com has some nice images of today, everyone. B)

That's wonderful, Heather is doing some amazing work. I'm admiring her more and more too. :)

Dimbleby show today...lunchtime

Darn!..just read Heather was on here today about the fur trade...missed it and admire her so much for taking on this task of exposing the dreadful cruelty because some folks want to wear dead animal skins.

The new faux fur looks marvellous and can be washed too. Very much cheaper too.

The tide has turned on the Daily Mail board...it is so good to see positive input and one of the posters has said Heather was very likeable during her interview on Dimbleby...(wonder if the prog will be repeated) a bit patronising but not hurtful.

Today really bought it home to me a fraction of what Heather must have endured.

I married a widower who, when on his own, took friends abroad etc, I came along and it seemed to be a spanner in the works. Today one of the 'distant relations' of yesteryear said she has taken a cottage for the week, near us, and will be calling in to discuss 'things'. It will no doubt, be a demand for school fees and her tone to me was quite meanacing. I was in tears, in fact (my husband was out). This is one of many such approaches from myriad folks, makes me feel very vulnerable and insecure and this must be tiny to some of the situations Heather has been in.

When single I used to feel independant and relatively fearless, in charge of my own world, but find it very diffcult to deal with the unpleasantness of resentful people who feel they can insult and demand at will!

Sorry to offload but there are certainly pluses and minuses to relationships...please give me a dollop of Heather's strength!