Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mandy

Roehampton UK

Hi There

Do any of the UK amps use the Roehampton limb fitting centre? Its meant to be quite good - any experiences to share?

Hi Mandy

Yes have been to Roehampton fitting centre, was very impressed with the facilities there. I went there initially to be assessed as I was having problems with my limbs, and had limbs made there under the NHS. Initially the limbs were fine, but a month or so in developed problems with them. Unfortunately, I was unable to be treated there long term because of funding, and was unable to go back there to get them put right, which was very disappointing.

Because of this I would advise if you are thinking of going there out of area (NHS) do thoroughly check out your funding situation, longer term, in case you run into problems.

Ann

PS sorry if this has been post twice, seem to be having probs. with site or PC.

Hi Mandy,

I got my new leg from Roehampton. I was very impressed - but I was paying for it - so I don't know if this is the case for NHS patients also.

My other legs have all been NHS from Swansea's Morriston Hospital and they have always been great - apart from the last one, which is why I ended paying for one.

At Roehampton I saw a gent by the name of Stan East, and Tom, his prosthetist. Both were really good and so helpful to me.

I only visited a few times for fittings etc., but enjoyed each visit.

Sue - Cardiff.

Thanks for the replies Ann and Sue. As it turns out Roehampton is within my area so I think I can count myself lucky! I have already had a limb made there but they used the laser to analyse my existing socket which was a bit big for me to cast a new socket and then made adjustments. I find the fit is comfortable but I lose suction very easily so am just gearing myself up to a series of further adjustments!

I was very impressed with the service I did get though.

Just one question Sue: Did you get yours at the Douglas Bader Centre or the NHS section? (think its called RSL Steepers)

Hi Mandy,

I got mine at the RSL Steeper section.

Whilst I was there, they were chatting to me about the Bader Centre, and said that all their new amputees go there for physio - which was great to hear, as I didn't get any physio at the hospital - but that may have been due to the fact that I did quite well, and was up and about quickly - it's only now that I have some muscle wastage that the physio team in Cardiff are saying that I should have received intense physio afterwards - talk about bolting the stable door....!! <_<

Sue :unsure:

Hi Mandy,

I too go to Roehampton and generally the treatment/service I have received is top class.

I have had 4 different prosthetists whilst there over last 7 years which isn't great but my current one, Lawrence, is the best so far. (hope he's not lurking on here don't want him to become complacent) :D

Hi

I stayed on the Douglas Bader Unit, the physio was brilliant. You went down at about 8.30 am and stayed to lunch time, then again in the afternoon, you also had access to the gym. This was available to out patients also.

Ann

Hi All, Haven't been on for a while but just catching up.

Rob I have Lawrence as well and I wouldn't want anyone else, not only does he do the best he can for you one to one he also fights in your corner with the Dr's who have to write the perscription for the bits and pieces of the leg.

I stayed in the Douglas Bader Unit when I had my amp last year. If I ever had the misfortune of going in again I would insist on travelling in daily as the ward is disgusting (although I have heard there is a lot worse).

Hi everyone

This is all good to hear for me, as my grandfather went in yesterday to have his BK limb fittted.

He is having 'walking classes' in his words and was well looked after.

To say he is excited about getting a leg is an understatement as at 80 odd years old he was concerned about being written off.

Cheers

Clive