Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
patty vandijk

fast up walking again

hello people

im doing quite ok , the surgeon did a nice job, it is realy gone ;)

the pain is not that much considering what the pain was before the leg went of.

heavily bandaged still but relieved greatly

they want to get me on feet again soon they said, and talked about stubbies or a plaster cast with a prosthetic at the end

so had any of you experience with that? are there other methods?

tell me everything you know, im like a sponge for info

patty

Hi Patty,

It's good to hear that the operation was successful, and that you are ok. :D

I can't help with info about the methods they want to use - as my rehab was different - but I wish you well and lots of luck. After my amputation, I was using a wheelchair until my first leg was ready and then I was up and about.

Take it easy, and take care.

Sue :unsure:

Hi Patty

I'm pleased that everything is going well! :)

As far as rehab goes, I think it depends which clinic you go to and your specific problems - everyone is different.

There are a few appliances that are used in the UK for 'early walking' at a physio department: Pneumatic post amputee mobility (PPAM) aid or the immediate post-operative prosthesis (IPOP), the amputee mobility aid (AMA) or Femurett. There are probably others too.

When the scar has healed, UK clinics tend to give amputees a temporary prosthesis to take home.

If you would like more info about amputee related things, I've found this site useful: amputee.ca

Lizzie

Glad things are going well for you Patty. Like the others said, it's different for everyone. My amputation was a loong time ago so I can't really help.

Keep us posted :)

Cat

yes i heard of the cast method,

i had, tho, a actual prosthetic leg made

i wore it for a few months

the leg shrunk a lot, as expected, and i would just add more and more socks

after about 6 months, another , better fitting leg was made

ask them why a plaster cast with leg and not a temporary prosthetic? maybe this is the plan after the cast

good luck

sue

Yes, my first stump (ihate that word) I use "nubby" my nubby shrunk quite a bit. They kept putting bondo inside to keep up with the increasing space. Then came the new socket. I do remember wearing an ace bandage at night to keep the shape into a roll of salami.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what combination they are going to give you.

Hi Patty:

Sorry..............almost welcome to my world. There are a few entities here who play around in stubbies, myself being one o them. "Byteme12" is another but I have not "heard" much from Vince recently and of course there is BIGUNCLETED who is a proponent for these things.

I think I understand that you still own one original knee.........yes?

My own evolution was as follows:

- started out in Mauch units on legs that ended up with me being about 3" shorter than I was originally.

- as time passed we upped my height a 1/2" at a time until I reached what I am today........about 1/2" shorter that original.

-I then, after talking with BIGUNCLETED, started using what I call wee legs (stubbies) for other reasons. I stand about 5'6" in these units. They have no functioning knee so I waddle a lot. However, i use them extensively around the house to do many things that i cannot in full legs to date..........like bending down to get something etc.

If I was to have had one real knee, I think I would rather get on with what I would be rather than playing with units that L would not need in the fututre.

Ever read "Reach for the Sky" the story of Sir Douglas Bader? If not.......have a read............he was built like you are now (I think) using yeateryear's technology. It will give you a hint of what con be done in your "state".

Also I know of two persons who are ak / bk and they are ok and functioning at tlevels i will never attain.

ED

Hi Patty

So glad everything went well. I am looking forward to hearing about your re-hab. I am still progressing and its good to hear about others.

Rachel

hello people, they gave me the "inflatable" prosthetic.

after just putting in more socks all the time when the stump shrinks then i get sooner or later some short prosthetics, so that is also a a new one for my "veteran" stump =). think that will be some adjustment.

all in all it feels great to stand up again (with a walker)

strange thing is after the operation the phantom pain in the other leg is also back after being away for longtime.

bye patty

Hi Patty

So, they gave you a ppam aid to walk with? That's great, you'll soon have you're temprary prosthesis & then there'll be no stopping you! :)

Lizzie

PS Do you think the phantom limb pains in your other limb may be because you're concentrating on your residual limbs a bit more, because you've just had surgery? Or it could be a bit of post op swelling?

Hi Patty:

there is BIGUNCLETED who is a proponent for these things

"Ted" is another C leg user, however, I was referring to his use of "stubbies" as per your original comments. I am a user of these also for many "functions" however, I cannot "see" a use for stubbies for a person who has a human knee. I know that IF I had one, I would have got going the "way I was intended to be" (Sir Douglas Bader.)

ED