Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Byteme12

Support group

Hi! My name is Vince and I am interested in starting a support group on the south end of Atlanta area. The meetings will probably meet in Peachtree city Ga. Right now the only group I know of meets in Austell north of P.T.C. I have contacted the NLLIC for an info packett on starting a group. Anyone interested please e-mail me either with ideas,if you would like to help get it started,or you would like to attend. This group would be for eveyone no matter your condition. Thanks. :)

Hi Vince,

Glad you found us. Congratulations on starting a Support Group. I have just started a Support Group in Connecticut and we have already had several successful meetings. First meeting was in May.

The ACA is a fantastic help and you have already contacted the NLLIC. It is a lot of work, but for me I have found my calling.

My group is ACCESS and our email is AKActive@aol.com. Anything I can do to help let me know. Sharing our resources benefits us all.

Good luck.

WA

Hi! WA. Thanks for the reply. I found out,from the ACA home page,about the meeting up in Austell,contacted the leader and hopefully get ours going soon. I'm waiting to get fitted for my legs so I hvae time to "play" on the computer and get as much info as I can. Will keep everyone posted on our progress with the group. God bless us all! :D

Vince-

I actually live in Atlanta and have an office in Peachtree City that I go to about once a week. It would be great if you do get a group together. If I am able (time) I would like to meet up.

Shay :huh:

Hi! Shay,is this a doctor or therapist you see? We would probably meet every 2 or 3 weeks. Have speakers come to talk and plan activities,outings and the like. I'll let you know once I have more info. Thanks for responding! :D

Hi! An update on the progress of the support group in the Peachtree city area. I have gathered A LOT of info and have made several phone calls. The fisrt thing I need is to be sure there will be enough people to come to the session to warrant me starting the group. So, out goes the word here and soon to be in some local newspapers. Help me spread the word to some of our people so they can write,e-mail,or even call. My # is 770-631-6674.It will take a lot of work,all volunterred, to get this started. I know the benefits from it will outweigh all the effort put into it. Thanks for any and all the help! God bless us all. Vince P.S. I need a name for it too!!! :D

Hi! Well, I'm not getting the response I was hoping for. But am near getting an article in the local newspapers. Might even get the mayor to pose with me. Wish me luck and give me some feedback or else!!!....... Just kidding!! Thanks.......................... Vince

Vince,

Welcome to the forum. Great news about your support group. Give it time. It takes time, and it requires time and patience to pull it off. But it sounds like you have what it takes. Keep up the good work. I created this support group forum to help all of our support group leaders like you. Once you have a date, we can put it on the calendar, along with the other meeting notices. Let me know if you need anything.

Best regards,

:D Hi Vince,

Glad you are starting a support group, I just helped start a second one in my area of Washington DC you know what happens when you start a group you instantly become the president. Smile. But I am sure that you will do fine. It does take time, sometimes we only get 3 members to show up. However two things I hope that will improve that shortly, 1. summer vacations will be over and people will be back in the area, and 2. I am now certified by the ACA for Peer Support Vistitor so I can be referred by my doctor to visit his new amputated patients. Good luck in all of your endevours.

I have received the material from A.C.A about starting a support group,and also read about the peer support. I like the idea and could be interested later in also doing that too. Thanks for the posts, helps me feel like I am getting somewhere.:D

My CT Group seems to be on vacation, too, but I will still have my meeting in August (see listing) even if only 2 people come. I think the consistency and keeping the momentum going is important.

Getting members is primary, so a lot has to go into getting the word out, newspapers, public access stations, P&O offices, rehabs, etc. I find networking with other group leaders helps with resources, ideas, etc., but also helps during those times of feeling "overwhelmed/stuck..."

I, too am a Certified Peer Trainer and plan to mention my group when I'm in-servicing at hospitals, etc.

Again, be glad to help in any way I can.

Brenda

Hi everyone: I would really like to start a support group in my area. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, I'm an ex Liverpudlian. Any information or help would be very appreciated. Putting an ad in the paper is a great idea, I'll try that first. Anyway any help would be appreciated. My phone number is: 403-280-3738, Luv Lynne

For Lynne:

We are running a group here in Winnipeg. To date, it is very slow. Partly because my cohort Raquelle has been busy with her newly adopted son from Africa. You will find funding an issue in a lot of ways.

We are looking at trying to get something from the government in the near future. In the meantime, we are developing:

1) a new amputee survival kit that will be delivered to all hospitals in this city. The kit will have contact information for our group directly, information supplied from various outside organizations such as the AAC and the CDN Waramps etc.

2) there will be a advertising area were we will be selling space to whoever is interested. These will include not only the usual prostetic guys but also any service that an amp may need to use such as transport companies / wheel chair and healthcare suppliers and people who build stuff like ramps etc

3) trying to beat the dead horse by selling an annual calendar in support of the group. It will feature a print of myself (bilateral aka) Raquelle (bilateral bka +), hopefully a young girl named Christian (tri lateral) and an old fellow named Wayne (ak / bk)

It is very hard starting a group - but someone has to to it!!!!

ED

Hi Ed....

Hope things are going well for you this week. I had a thought, and I'm not sure if it is worth looking into or not.

Last evening on the national news I was watching a segment about the hundreds and hundreds of men and women coming back from Iraq as amputees. They were saying that the government is actively getting into the business of developing new and better prothetics because of this. The way they were talking is that the government is actually becoming tuned into the needs of the new amputees. Many of them are being allowed to keep their jobs in the military! I think this is a terrific attitude for our government to take for a change.

I was thinking that they must be needing support groups in different states for these great gals and guys. Perhaps there is some type of government funding. You might contact the VA in your area.

Hope things work out for your group...keep us up to date please!

jana

Hi All:

We had our first meeting since a long time , recently. As a group, we seem to be coming up with a different direction to go. OUr primary concern is now focused on just getting people out of their hole.

We are looking into wheelchair curling as well as arrangeing Card tournments etc. A lot of amps will simply never get up but we want them to get out!!!!!

ED

Vince

Very good idea! I've been casting around for a group in my area and haven't found one. I'm thinking of starting one myself.

I will almost guarantee that you will be selected as the first President of your group. It just happens that way.

I'm also looking into Peer Counseling.

I'm in Butte County, California (Oroville, Chico) and the nearest support group is in Sacramento.