Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

Baby Steps

Hi All:

My grand daughter is now up and walking around. I can only be amazed at how similar she and I are.

I watch her fall / get up / get her balance / waddle off / fall again / etc

I never really understood that we all have the unique opportunity to relive our childhood in our attempts to get going again!!!

Geesh God..........thanks a lot!!!

ED

That's why I always give the advice of doing things in BABY STEPS! Not that I'm saying you should be so slow as to take forever getting back to living life but to take it slow like a baby so you can master things in due time. I am very happy for those that can have the amputation get the leg 4 to 6 weeks later (good healers) and walk that day without assitive devices but those are the exceptions they do exist but if you're not one of those people you have to take things in BABY STEPS as not to have set backs. So I look at it this way if you do the BABY STEPS like your granddaughter it might seem slow at first but the outcome is so GRAND! or at least it can be! That's my two cents or is that three? :D

Sounds like a sweet moment empathizing and enjoying your grand daughter, determination comes in all sizes ;)

babysteps.jpg

I never really understood that we all have the unique opportunity to relive our childhood in our attempts to get going again!!!

I have thought of this even more recently.......................for those who are just starting out in the arty leg game............always remember:

A new human being takes maybe a year to get "up" and waddle.

Maybe a year and a bit before they run

The rest of their life to be what they will be.

In my opinion.......a new amputee is exactly the same.

ED

Lol Ed, I like the comparison. Only difference with us, we have a lot further to fall, and generally, we kind of go 'OK now that I'm down here, is there anything I can do??'

:P

Ed

My husband made a similar comparison to you. The only difference was he said 'I watched my children learn to walk and take their first steps and I have now watched my wife take her first steps'. He said it was the proudest moment to observe all of us.

It was hard to accept but the sentiment was very real. :D

Rachel

Yesterday I took my grand daughter by the hand or rather she hooked onto one of my fingers.

It was a short but priceless experience for me as we waddled together for the first time. The only problem was that she is much faster than I.

At one point she reached up to "ask" me to pick her up. This I cannot nor ever will do.

She will have to just be happy with the old man getting down on the ground so she can smack my chest and fall on me.

ED

"...she asked me to pick her up. This I cannot nor ever will do".

Oh, Ed, that touches me so deeply. The limits I have with my grandchildren is I think what I hate the most. Before I got my prosthesis, I remember crying because I could no longer play ring around the rosey with my granddaugter. Of course, things have improved greatly since then.

Can you pick her up from a sitting position? I have done that many times with my now 9 1/2 month old granddaughter. We rode in the wheelchair alot when I was not confident enough to carry her. I was so afraid I would fall and hurt her. I think grandchildren are life's greatest joy and we find a way with them, don't we.

Ah Ed, what a sore spot that touches, not being able to pick up the kids.

I remember when I first lost my leg, my immediate concern was : I can't have anymore children because I won't be able to carry them.

I was 28 at the time.

Even today, there is NO way that I will take someone else's child in my arms if I am standing.

Yip, I am right there with you!

Can identify with that Ally. Had all my children many years after my accident, but when they were tiny, especially, carried them around as little as possible. When first child was born lived in a house and carried daughter up and down stairs in a sling! Was very careful, however think I gave the Health Visitor concerns! Before I had the others moved to bungalow! But would never walk about carrying someone else's baby. That was one of the things I tried to explain to a health visitor after I had my 3rd, you were not supposed to take your pram into the clinic for appointments, she didn't seem to understand my difficulties in carrying a newborn into a small clinic with children and toys strewn across the floor. Actually can't remember taking him to be weighed that much, he was a big baby and pretty health anyway. Happy days!

Just waiting for the grandkids now, altho no sign of that so far.

Ann

This is a lovely thread, Ed! :)

I had one or two problems lifting my daughter - when she was very young, I had to find different ways to lift her as she was very floppy, but that soon passed. Once she became a toddler (1 year old) I had difficulty when she decided to sit down in the middle of the pavement (I used to pick her up by the harness I always put on her) and as for running after her...well, there was no chance. She learnt very quickly that running away wasn't a good idea!

When she got bigger, I found that I could lift her, as long as I could lean the tops of my prostheses against something (like a gate or a work surface) and point my toes inwards (to 'lock' the knees). I had more problems with my son who was a large baby (at 3 months he was 18lbs). Thankfully, he learnt to walk at a year too.

Ann - you didn't have an empathic HV did you? I had a wonderful health visitor who didn't have a problem with me pushing my baby through piles of toys. She always said that I should do what was practical for me - 'horses for courses'.

Lizzie

To Marcia:

Can you pick her up from a sitting position?

No problem.........I can carry her with one arm while the other is occupied with a cane. I do this very seldom as I am very apprehensive.

On the positive side of things........when on the floor I am "her" size and she seems to like that................it's touching that she casually sits on a stump............and when she is pissed.......... I wrap an arm around her and drag her along..................where and who else can offer these kinds of experiences!!!! Certainly not the other grandfather!

ED

On the positive side of things........when on the floor I am "her" size and she seems to like that................

I'd have to agree with you on that one Ed! If I'm not in my legs, I'm wearing a pair of knee pads & walk on my knees. So, when my guys were toddlers walking about the house, I was literally on their level. In some ways it made things easier. Now that they're 13 & 9, they like to walk past me & give me a lil pat on the head, reminding me just how much & quickly they've grown.

As for the bond you share with your granddaughter. No comparison between you & the other grandpa. Your's is a special one, not to say his isn't, just different. You're going to have such an impact on her life in ways you've probably never dreamt.

Who knows, when she's in school , she just might bring you in for Show & Tell. :D

Enjoy,

Linda

I know just what you mean Ed! I have 2 grandsons (7 and 20 mos respectively) and they are my joy! I have gotten better at picking them up, but prefer them in my lap for a good snuggle!

The smallest one just likes to sit in my lap and play and sits there rubbing my stump....it's the most amazing and touching feeling I can ever have the pleasure of experiencing!

The older boy has just discovered running having mastered walking, and gets dissapointed when I cannot chase after him, and I rememeber doing that with my kids and it hurts that I have limitations on being a grandma but I still wouldn't change anything about it.

The boys are learning that it's okay to be different, and that is a huge lesson to be learned, even harder for the adults that see us out and about....

Getting of my soap box now, hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Janet

Wow, those post's really got me thinking my wife and I have 6 kids between us, 5 girls and a boy. I hope for any grandchildren none as yet! My new Mauch leg allows me to lock solid, then hopefully I can carry a child.

When I had longhair many years ago, my kids used to hang on my pony tail! :rolleyes: Now it's fell out!

PJ :D

When I had longhair many years ago, my kids used to hang on my pony tail! :rolleyes: Now it's fell out!

That might explain WHY it's fallen out, Paul!! :lol: :P

The smallest one just likes to sit in my lap and play and sits there rubbing my stump

A similar experience here.................for whatever reason she likes to walk over and sit on a stump "automatically". She also has a great time squeezing a stump end...............hoping to make it squeak or something I guess.

ED

;) MY LIFE B4 MY AMPUTATION WAS NICU... PEDS... MY BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT AFTER WAS... I'M NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO WORK/CARRY INFANTS AGAIN...

Hallowe'en is now over.

This was her first "real" event. It took no time to learn to bang on a door..............walk in any house .......and help herself to what was there...............and say a big "tat too"

Now she runs over to me ....throws herself against me and just bowls me over.

ED