Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
unique

Margate NJ Beach party was GREAT

Hey everyone,

The first Annual Margate AMputee Beach Party was a BLAST. Six brave souls carpooled from miles around to the lovely home of Joani W, in Margate NJ on Friday night. Johnny V drove 5 hours and picked up 3 others and his daughter. Unique drove 3 1/2 (Luck of the traffic) and picked up a fabulous lady who was in her first year as an AKA. We roundevouded at the loveley home of Joani W and we got to know eachother. The next day we hit the beach,yes in our bathing suits, prosthetics and stumps.

It was a PERFERCT DAy and the usually chilly At;lantic OCean was green and tolerable. One young lady form France put us all to shame as she crutched inot the Ocean and swam in the deep water like a fish. I was jealous of her talent and her thin figure. Jonny V crtuched in and gave it a go, Unique got toppled by a BIG wave and then went in. Yes I did. Even our newest memeber took to her crutches and swam. I was in awe of her, she was a great ride buddy too.

The Gorgeous Lifeguards had to help us out,yes they were, (Don't try those sand wheelchiars in the water, they don't work) But we did it! Several times.

The best part was as we were sitting there a man in a BK with a Chevy logo and a woman come walking by. I thought they were another couple taht had come to meet us. They weren't. They were just walking along the beach. When I siad hi, they realized that we were all amps, and the woman was dumbstruck! She looked around and said "ALL OF YOU?" The look on her face was shock.(you have seen it before eh)

We all got some sun and plenty of sand everywere. Beware(sand is not good for lovely cosmetic covers)Then we had lovely BBQ hosted by Joani and her wonderful

husband Steven, and we met up with another couple.

Later the crew went to Atlanmtic City for some gambling and skin, and some went back to the beach.

IT was a blast. After a goodby brunch we left with sore overeused stumps and sunburns and laughs.

Make it happen, have a beach party this Summer. You'll love it, it is great not to be the only amp on the beach.

Unique no more

Sounds like you all had a blast! I hope everyone had their sunscreen ;) So did you really "need" the gorgeous lifeguard's help or did you just flounder a bit for attention :P

Hey that sounds like a blast.

Reckon we can organise something like that Mel?

I'd wait a few months though :huh: .......bit cold at the mo ;)

Hi Unique,

So glad that you all managed to get together for a great day out at the beach. Sounds like a winning idea... I'm really happy for you!

But the big question is: Who ended up with tan lines then??! :lol: ;)

Sounds like you all or is that yall had loads of fun! I wish I could have been there but my drive would have been about 12 hrs or more. Maybe if we have plan on a get together for all the Florida Members. I know there are a few so if any of you are interested PM me and we could toss some ideas around.

Hi all,

This year, Fathers Day weekend with Shannon was very special for us. We shared a wonderful time that was had by all who attended on the Jersey shore. I had visited Ventnor City Beach on previous trips to Atlantic City, but never received or experienced the reception that the Ventnor City Beach Patrol provided to us. Additionally, I am very very grateful to unique, who came up with the idea in the first place, Joani and Steve for extending to us their hospitality, and to the wonderful and courageous people with limb loss, who came out to support and make it such a huge success. I am still in awe and looking forward to doing it all again.

Life is a Beach, so enjoy one.

Sincerely:

JohnnyV B)

post-8-1119839715.jpg

Here is the sand wheel chair that unique mentioned that she didn't have a good experience with. The Atlantic Ocean had some very strong waves that day, so the chair was quite the ride. I stayed safe on the beach with it this time around, but might give it a go on our next trip there. B)

post-8-1119840701.jpg

It sounds like a great time. I'm curious about the beach wheelchair. I've never seen one before. Is it made out of PVC pipe? And what are the tires made of?

It would probably make getting around in the sand a lot easier.

I'm curious about the beach wheelchair. I've never seen one before. Is it made out of PVC pipe? And what are the tires made of?

It would probably make getting around in the sand a lot easier.

Yes, it is made out of PVC pipe. I'm not sure but I think that the tires are rubber inflatables. It is very good at making it easier getting around the sand. Wish that I could supply you with more information.

Just wanted to share another great memorable moment from our amputee beach party. Besides my daughter Shannon and I, this includes a few more of our wonderful amputee participants (with their permission). I especially like this picture that Joani took, with the legs leaning up against the umbrella. Thanks again Joani. Hope that you enjoy it too. :)

post-8-1120524264.jpg

Great pic Johnny. :D

I love the leaning legs.

It actually looks like someone was standing there and got cut in half :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Grat picture,

Thanks Joani! and Johnny for posting it.

I am the one in sunglasses if anyone is curious!

It was such a perfect day. It brings back great memories.

Unique

I love the leaning legs.

It actually looks like someone was standing there and got cut in half :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

That's so true Cat... I thought the same too! :lol: ;)

Johnny, thanks for sharing that pic with us. It looked like an amazing day. :D

I am the one in sunglasses if anyone is curious!

Unique,

Hmmm :wub:

Both the women in that pic are wearing sunglasses!! ;) :huh:

LOL.....3 people wearing sunglasses :lol: :lol:

Reminds of the day I was driving with a friend past a cricket ground while a game was in progress.

She exclaimed....."Wow check out the guy in white over there."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds of the day I was driving with a friend past a cricket ground while a game was in progress.

She exclaimed....."Wow check out the guy in white over there."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was hoping someone would tell us who's who!

They will have to tell you themself.... if they choose to. That is unique in the middle, and Shannon and I are in the background, which I am sure that you knew already.

This is Gwen on the left side with the black swimsuit. We had so much fun during that week end in Margate! It was a wonderful experience. Thanks to Unique for organizing it!

Oh brother, do i feel silly,

Opps,

I am the one on the sunglasses facing the camera!

Oh were did the brain cells go??

Unique

That is the coolest idea and it sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing it with us and the pics. Love the beach wheelchair. I didn't even realize they had things like that.

That sounds brilliant and it looks like you all had an amazing time. I might need to get my flights booked for the second annual beach party :D Need to work on the figure before hand to get up to your standards :D

Just wanted to share another great memorable moment from our amputee beach party. Besides my daughter Shannon and I, this includes a few more of our wonderful amputee participants (with their permission). I especially like this picture that Joani took, with the legs leaning up against the umbrella. Thanks again Joani. Hope that you enjoy it too. :)

rofl it looks like the legs are holding up the umbrella lol. I love the party and sounds like a good time was had by all. ;)