Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
unique

What about amputee time sharing?

Hello everyone!

I have had this idea brewing in my sub/something, for awhile now.

Since we are from all over the world Wouldn't it be great if we could start amputee accessible " HOUSE SWAPPING" for lack of a better word. We all have homes that are somewhat amputee freindly or in some cases wheechair accessible. Most have wheelchair entrances,(SOME EVEN WHEELCHAIRS, ramps, shower seats, safety grips in the bathroom ect and parking, in different and interesting places.

THINK ABOUT IT

If we "swapped places" we could take a lot of the anxiety and worry about the accomidations and accessiblity! Think about how much less Stress it would be on us AND OUR FAMILIES! To know exactly what the accomidations are and that there is parking ect.

Think about how much $$$$ we would save by swapping instead of paying for a small hotel. You could cook instead of going out all the time!

Each individual would negotiate their own deal of course.

For example, I live 24 miles from New York City in a lovely building that has a ramp, parking ect. I would love to visit Australia or England or Germany!

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there, Anybody interested??

Unique

:blink:

Hi

What a great idea why have we not thought of this before.No doubt somebody will pick up on this idea and make a lot of money out of it so if it can work cut the middle man out of it.Some homes would suitable for wheelchair and other's suitable for walking amputee's and I am sure that could be worked out.I only live 30 miles from the centre of London in a Detached property not far from the country side.

Regards Pat.

What a fabulous idea Unique.

Sadly my house is not wheelchair friendly at all. Lotsa stairs.

But it is only 20 minutes from the centre of Melbourne.

Wow,

Thanks for the encouragment, I am so thrilled that other people like the idea! So I guess I will follow up with giving it a try as the middle woman!

If anyone is interested in swapping thier house/apt/ domocile/timeshare please contact me and I will take the information and ask you a few questions. I think that this would really make traveling with special needs so much easier. We will see!

Hope to hear from a few of you soon,

Unique

Think thats a really good idea Unique.

Unfortunately my house has a few steps, and isn't very wheelchair friendly to get in and out. But have watched a few tv progs. about house swapping and think it sounds ideal.

Marcus, didn't realize you were in Utah, one of my sons is in the US at the moment and rang me from Utah this afternoon. He is on a 65 day road trip, sounds like he is thoroughly enjoying himself.

Ann

Hi Unique:

What a fabulous idea! I'm in. I live in Calgary, Canada. Home of the beautiful Canadian Rockies. Look forward to more information on this idea.

Lynne

Well here just a few ideas I had in mind,

Every participant who is putting up thier home for swapping would fillout BOTH Questionaris

If a person is interested in time sharing(swapping their place for another amp freindly place,they would anserw a few questions.

First of all were is your home/apaprment ect

What city is it near/possibly what are some of the sites around

1. Is the house wheelchair accessible/ or friendly or amp friendly

2 How many stairs in the home and are they near the Kitchen/entrance to house

4. Location of bedrooms and BATHROOM,

5. How many people could stay comfortably.

5 What Dates(pick two) are you willing to trade for, and the duration (at least one week i think)

6. Is parking available,(is there a charge and what kind of public trasportation is available in the area.

7. what type of handicapped accomidations are there, extra wheelchair/scooter/shower chair/safety bars/cruthces ect

8. I would suggest a safety deposit of some type, which I will hold, but that will be mutually agreed upon by the two parties.

9. Perhaps even the name of a reference (I think it is important)

10 A small small processing fee is possbile?

For the seeker

1. What are your physical requirements , be as specific as possible

3.What type of assitive equipment do you use at home.

2. What dates do you wish to travel, one week minimum i think

3. I guess the seeker would have to choose were theym would like to go.

3.How many in your party, and will you be renting a car?

4.A personal reference(Which I will verify)

5.payment of a deposit decided upon by the two parties which I would hold

6. A small small processing fee

Both seeker and lister would exchange pictures of the residences and a list of intereting sites to see and their PROSTHETISTS PHONE NUMBER. Boy I can tell you stories about that!

If anybody has any other suggestions I would love to hear them!

I have always wanted to suggest this!. I think it could really make traveling with a disability an MUch easier,chaper and less stressful thing

Unique

I'm betting he would be out of town too.

Unique I have no way of travelling for a while. Seems I have this buisness thingy that requires my attention a fair bit.

My house is actually ginormous and 2 whole families could be here comfortably at the same time. Something else to think of. :D

Would save money in tour guides too. ;)

Hi,

I'm sorry If I was misundertood, I in no way meant doing something now or any pressure, just sort of a data bank for if and when. Sorry again if I was misunderstood didn't mean anything more than a theoretical. The questionaairee format I posted was a suggestion, so if anyone has other ideas I'm open to them.

Unique

I should reread my posting before I post them!

It sounds bad, the security deposit should be between the two people, not me.

So much for a good idea.

Unique

:huh:

Hi Unique.

It still seems a good idea.But we would have to look at insurance and thing's like that,because if somebody hurt them self's in your or our property there could be a claim against you or us also the insurance we have on our property might not cover us when somebody we dont know is living there while they are on holiday.Also there would have to be proof that the photo of our home that we send to you was our property not just one cut out of a magazine,I know this all might sound negative but these are the thing's we must look at first.

Regards Pat.

Your are right pat,

Perhaps it is a lot more complicated than I thought, it would also be hard to screen the person, but I think an insurance policy could be bought. I know other poeple swap homes. I will look into it and see what they do.

Unique

Thanks everyone,

I guess since iit has been perculating in my little brain for a while, it sort of boiled over. My biggest concern with vacations has always been the accomidations and second biggest is the cost. It may sound corny, but I am a sagittarian through and through. We are EBULENT (aka we boil over). I will look into what other house swappers do and post later.

Bye

Unique

Hi Unique.........This idea has already been thought about from "normal two legged" perspective. I had a couple of brochures many years ago from the company that organised tghe home swap. Perhaps if you researched these companies to find out what they do you could then adapt it to this very good idea that you have for a "disabled house swap"

I'm all for it as and when I can get some money to adapt my home!!!

However, it goes a little bit further does ot not. As a Right leg above knee amputee I have found it impossible to hire a suitably adapted car for driving. All that is needed is a flip over peddle on an automatic car but it is impossible to hire. You are correct to assume that access to the aids and equipment could also be part of the swap. Keep on it, it has worth.

:)

:rolleyes I THINK IT IS A GREAT IDEA,, MY HOME IS IN TEXAS AND IF SOMEONE WAS JUST TRAVELING AND NEED A PLACE TO STAY.. WELL MY HOME IS HANDICAPPED ACC... WOULD MIND PUTTING THEM UP FOR FOR A FEW, BUT DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF LIABILITY.....JUST KEEP ME IN MIND WHEN YOU COME UP WITH A PLAN..

Oh,'

I have ordered a book on ti e sharing and I will keep looking into it. I think it would be a great idea.

Unique

Well papasmurf you were right,

There is alsready a service for Disabled home swapping! the internet site is FreehomeAwayfromhome.com . So if anyone is interested check it out!

Bye,

Unique

I see it has been September since the last log. I personally would like to further this idea. And I would love to hear what you all think about it. Summer is in my part of the Country (Canada). But, I also live in the most beautifull place. THE BEAUTIFUL CANADIAN ROCKIES. Honestly people you just can't believe where they live, Our usually "New Years" is in a hot tub, your hair is frozen and the and you can't belie how cold your hair is, but when you in the tub you make yourself sink. WOW IT'S amazing. All of our holidays, you do have to bring you bathing suit, because we all end up in the "hot tub"

Come and visit The Beautiful Canadian Rockies.

If you don't want to go into the "hot tub" well that's OK!, we will also have a lot of other people that don't want to go into the tub.

BUT, please come and visit Lynne, if you are close to me?

Lynne

My personal experience with timesharing is not so good.

You sell an high priced appartment for some weeks a year. The high price results of all the "weak costs"....everybody gets some money from the price you pay and if you are lucky, 50 % of the price is for the appartment.

If you want to sell it later, there is nearly no market. the companies who resell, take their money before the do something and you can´t check, what the do for your money.

You have to pay every year some money for the costs. If you want to swop, you have to be member in such an agency, which cost money for the membership and for every deal you make with them.

The whole thing sonds good, ´when they want to sell it to you, but later you think, that it is just something to "rob" you.

I made my best experiences with a normal "travel-provider" ...some have list with hotel, which are accessible for people with special needs ( up to tetraplegics). When I summarize all, I have paid for this the same price for different places, as for the bankrup going timeshare company.