Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Afet

Event lauds Disablilty Act's spirit

I got this article sent to me by Google Alerts. Google sends me news stories, as and when they happen, on my specified chosen subject (in this case: amputee).

So imagine my surprise when I saw this news article and it was about our very own JohnnyV?!

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pb.../507230313/1006

The article states that JohnnyV was awarded this year's Cynthia L. Burchfield Community Access and Education Award.

Well done Johnny.

Congratulations!

Event lauds Disability Act's spirit

Speakers share life experiences

By Kathleen McGrory

Poughkeepsie Journal

HYDE PARK — John Vacca of Poughkeepsie takes his civil rights seriously. So when cancer forced Vacca to have his lower leg amputated in 2002, he turned to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

"With the ADA, I know that there is always going to be a place for me in society," said Vacca, a regional representative for the Amputee Coalition of America and a part-time entertainer. "It is insurance that I'll never be treated any differently because of my disability."

On Friday, Vacca joined Taconic Resources for Independence and 200 community members to commemorate the act's 15th anniversary at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum.

The Americans with Disabilities Act guarantees equal opportunity for people with disabilities in employment, state and local government services, public accommodations, transportation and telecommunications.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 37.5 million Americans age 5 and over have at least one disability.

Educating the public

Friday's event aimed to raise public awareness of the law and the many opportunities available to people with disabilities, said Cynthia Fiore, executive director of Taconic Resources for Independence.

"We want to let others know the abilities that people with disabilities have," Fiore said.

Keynote speakers Dick and Rick Hoyt, a father-and-son marathon and triathlon team, promoted accessibility and integration in all aspects of life.

Rick, 42, is a quadriplegic with cerebral palsy. When the two men compete, Dick, 64, pushes Rick in a wheelchair. When they swim, Dick pulls Rick in a small boat. When they ride, Rick sits in a seat attached to Dick's bike.

Team Hoyt has participated in hundreds of athletic events around the world, including the Boston Marathon and the Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii.

"My disability does not get in the way of things I like to do," Rick said with the help of a computer and voice synthesizer. "So as you can see, I may be disabled, but I live a very fulfilling life."

A 1993 graduate of Boston University, Rick works in the communication enhancement program at the Boston Children's Hospital.

Encouragement offered

The event included a panel discussion on sports and recreation featuring Fishkill's Dave Henzler, an amputee and 2005 Empire State Games competitor.

"Just because you have a disability doesn't mean you can't compete against able-bodied people," said Henzler, who will take part in masters swimming.

Also appearing were Dutchess Community College instructor and photojournalist Lowell Handler; Cheryl White, coordinator of Project HAVA (Help America Vote Act) at the Catskill Center for Independence; state Sen. Steve Saland, R-Poughkeepsie; and state Assemblyman Joel Miller, R-Poughkeepsie.

Vacca was awarded this year's Cynthia L. Burchfield Community Access and Education Award.

Kathleen McGrory can be reached at kmcgrory@poughkee.gannett.com

Taconic Resources for Independence promotes independence and integration into society for people with disabilities. Services include independent living training, self-help and support groups, counseling, architectural barrier consultation, and housing referrals. For information, call 845-452-3913.

A hyge slushy gurl hug to you Johnny .YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

((((((((((((( huge hug ))))))))))))))

Awesome Johhny!!!!!! :D :D :D

For some reason, I can't access this web address. Suggestions anyone??

Congratulations Johnny! The award couldn't have gone to a more deserving individual.

Caroln

I recently told someone here - Marcus gives great advice and pretty much knows everything.

I'm happy to see that statement still holds true :P

Thank you everyone. You all continually motivate me to do what I do and I am forever grateful to you all. Afet... what can I say. You are too much. You got the story the morning that the article came out. Now the whole world knows about it. I am so very proud, so once again, thanks for being so very special to me and recognizing my most recent acomplishment.

Kind regards:

For some reason, I can't access this web address. Suggestions anyone??

I've included the content in Afet's origional post.

Thanks for doing that, Johnny. It was driving me crazy and now I got to read it. Congratulations and thanks for doing what you seem to be always doing - taking care of all of us as well as others. You are a true inspiration.

Hey, thanks Johnny for pasteing the article into my post. I shoulda thought of that myself! :ph34r::unsure:

By the way, I have moved this post into the Amputee Accomplishments Forum.

Johnny, you're an amputee, and this is a great accomplishment!! ;) :D

JohnnyV,

I'm so honored to have meet you and I'm honored to call you my friend. You're a great guy and deserve to have this recognition.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Johnny; that's fantastic well done! Keep up the good work mate!

all the best from the land of Oz

Mel

Posted from In Motion Mag Volume 15 Sept/Oct

John Vacca, a regional representative for the Amputee Coalition of America received a Community Award celebrating the 15th anniversary of the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA).

John was awarded the Cynthia L. Burchfield Community Access and Education Award by Taconic Resources for Independence. An estimated 200 people attended the July 22 celebration and awards cermony, which was held in Poughkeepsie, New York.

Well Done on a terrific effort John-congratulations

Mel.