Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
melaussie

Gillian Hicks

Hi Guys,

I know that Gillian has become a double amp since the London bombings. The aussie team want to send her and her family a big hello from over here. I know she's from Adelaide but we have no idea which hospital she is in. Does anyone have any ideas?

Mel

Mel, here's an article that I found that has the details you require.

Woman caught in bombing loses both legs

By Chee Chee Leung

Sandra O'Malley

July 13, 2005

An Australian woman hurt in the London terrorist attacks has injuries so serious she had her legs amputated, but her family believes she will pull through.

Gillian Hicks, originally from South Australia, was one of nine Australians injured in the bombings that rocked the English capital last week.

Six remain in hospital, two in a critical condition and another in intensive care.

Australia's high commissioner in London, Richard Alston, confirmed the seriousness of Ms Hicks' injuries.

"Gillian Hicks has severe injuries involving amputations but is nonetheless in a stable condition, although critical," he told the Nine Network.

The Seven Network reported that Ms Hicks had both legs amputated.

Ms Hicks, who had been working as a fashion design consultant in London for 12 years, is among those still in hospital. Her brother Graham has flown to London to be with Ms Hicks, who is in

St Thomas' Hospital. [italics mine]

In a statement issued yesterday, Ms Hicks' family in Adelaide said she was making slow but positive progress.

"We are completely devastated by what has happened to Gill," said the statement, attributed to her sister-in-law, Jo Hicks.

"Her brother Graham has arrived in London to be with Gill and our thoughts and prayers are with him also.

"Graham reports that Gill recognised him and the latest news is that she is making slow but positive progress."

Mr Ly, 28, who was caught up in the bus bombing at Tavistock Square, is in a critical condition with serious head injuries.

His father Hi, nephew John and girlfriend Mandy Ha are at his bedside at London's National Hospital.

Mr Ly worked on the helpdesk in the information technology services division at Monash University's Caulfield campus from 1999 to 2003.

He left the job just months before he and Ms Ha headed for life in London.

Margo Hellyer, who worked with Mr Ly, said he was highly regarded by workmates. "He's very friendly and outgoing, just incredibly eager to be helpful (and) a wonderful sense of values and politeness . . . he kind of had the world at his feet," she said.

Another Monash colleague has contacted Ms Ha with an offer to set up a video link between Mr Ly's family in Melbourne and London, but has yet to receive a response.

Other Australians are recovering after the attacks.

Tasmanian computer programmer Ross Mallinson, 44, is in intensive care after two operations on his skull.

Louise Barry, from NSW has had her neck put in traction after fracturing a vertebra but is making good progress.

Ross Mallinson is in intensive care.

A St Mary's Hospital spokeswoman said NSW academic John Tulloch and Blue Mountains woman Alison Sayer were both in a stable condition.

Taken from this webpage.

Hope it helps, and good on you for reaching out to her and her family. :)

Just realised... you'll probably need the address and phone number:

St Thomas' Hospital

Lambeth Palace Road

London SE1 7EH

Tel: (00 44) 20 7188 7188

By the way Mel, do you have any idea of whether she is a bilateral BK or AK amputee now? None of the articles I've read about her seem to say..? :unsure:

Oh Afet, you're a legend. thanks so much I'm sure a letter from home will make a little difference. Thanks also for the address; I've been looking for a while now. what would I do without you.

No idea re the AK or BK, nothing has been reported here for ages, that's why I was having a heap of trouble. Will get something off to her in the mail on monday.

Mel x x x x x x

I would ask Mel to include info about this site and some of the entities here such as myself. This woman will need to hear from others the same as she.........and they are hard to find.

ED

Ed, I didn't want to freak her out too soon. She's probably getting used to the fact that someone set a bomb off! (This only happens in movies stuff) I've not sent her any info just a Hi. Was advised by one of my volunteers who lost her arm in Bali. If and when we hear back from her I'll them honour her requests as she's ready.

thanks Ed

Mel.

Gillian Hicks was on TV today. For the benefit of our overseas family members, it's a daily programme (docusoap) called City Hospital about the two main city hospitals in London and the patients that are under their care.

Today, it showed Gill having physio. She is actually a bilateral BK amputee. She is doing amazingly well. Her attitude is remarkable, and she's very positive.

She is actually walking now, with a cane. Her goal is to walk unaided to her own wedding in two months, which was already planned before the bombings.

I did try to visit her on Monday too, when I was at St. Thomas' myself, but was having no luck at all! Again, no record of her. Maybe she was at Guy's Hospital?? It's a mystery. :unsure:

Anyway, thanks Lizzie for PMing me about this. But luckily, I'd seen it myself anyway. :blink:

Hi Afet,

Saw city hospital, wasn't she amazing, so possitive.

I thought she was getting physio at Guys Hospital.

Maybe there is a confidentiality surrounding her because of her being in the bombings? Maybe they are not letting anyone know where she is, as she probably will get a lot of journalists seeking her where abouts. Just a thought.

Any way, great to see her doing so well.

Lynne

I'm glad you mentioned that Lynne, because I was going to mention patient confidentiality. I don't think NHS staff are allowed to disclose any information about patients without the patients permission - in some cases written permission.

Lizzie

Afet you were right she was at St Thomas because I sent the first letter there and that's the only way her partner would have found my email address. Her family was hell bent on dodging the media so maybe she was in under a false name or something. Weird.

I know I'm a bit late, but did anyone read the recent article (17th October) about Gillian in Grazia?

I've just read a reader's comment about the article in this week's edition. It seems that she holds no resentment against the London bombers, as she sees it as such 'a wasted emotion'...she just wants to focus walking and her forthcoming wedding.

Lizzie :)

Bit of an update on this story. It's fantastic news!

Bombings amputee walks down the aisle

Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Australian woman who lost both her legs in the London bombings has been married in a ceremony in central London.

Gill Hicks, 37, was the last person to be brought out alive from Russell Square tube station after the attacks on July 7.

From her hospital bed she vowed that the bombing would not ruin her wedding to Joe Kerr.

"Apparently the first thing I did was bolt straight up in bed and say: 'I'm going to be walking up the aisle'," she told media after the attacks.

"That's been a fantastic date to focus on and a reason to walk.

"I want to walk because I want to try and have some sort of life back."

Today, Ms Hicks walked down the aisle of St Etheldreda's Church on prosthetic legs.

She wore an ivory dress and glittering tiara, and carried a bouquet of red roses.

During the ceremony, a blessing from Pope Benedict the 16th was read out.

Among the guests were some of the emergency services personnel who helped rescue her after the attacks.

Taken from this page of the abc.net site.

Thanks, Afet and Lizzie. A happy story for a change.

Thanks Lizzie.

Gill's picture and story was in the Daily Mail this morning, and I believe she has a programme on TV over the Christmas holiday.

Ann