Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Prosthetists, Amputees & Responsibility

Hello everyone. Lately I have been really concerned about new amputees, and the information that isn't put out there for them. I posted this to a Yahoo support group this morning, and thought that I would post it here as well.

Please bear in mind that I am an above knee amp and my opinions are

based purely on my own experiences. And apologies up

front, this is a long one....

95% OF QUESTIONS SHOULD/COULD BE ANSWERED ONLINE BY A PROSTHETIST

Well, yes and no. Could be, probably yes. Should be, I would swing

more to the no side there. Although most of my information comes

from technical sites regarding the mechanics of the bits, and the

different options out there, my life-information comes from other

amputees. When I got my first leg, it was kind of like : here (a

socket), here (a knee) and here (a foot) - good luck and bye for now

then. As a new amputee, how do you know what to expect? You get

this heavy equipment, and for all intents and purposes, there is no

way you can imagine that lugging something like that around could be

anything but uncomfortable. So you resign yourself and try to cope

as best you can. How can you know any better? The prosthetist

says "how does it feel?" Where is the handbook on how to speak with

this professional and how do you know what an acceptable level of

discomfort is? Unless of course you run into another veteran

amputee B) who you can chat with like a 'normal' person....

THE ART OF MAKING PROSTHETICS

When I first visited my prothetist (his name is Marco), he spent

most of our scheduled hour sitting with me and just explaining

everything. This was EIGHT YEARS after my amputation. I learned

that I had a quad socket. I learned where my ramus and ischium

are. He explained how the socket is designed, and how the

prosthetist has to really tweak it right at the end to ensure a

personal and proper fit. That's when he called it an ART. And it

made sense to me. He's a youngster, 32 years old I think. It is

terrifying that any prosthetist can approach his job with any other

attitude. Al Pike (American CP) says the new generation of

prosthetists are relying very heavily on the latest technology.

The 'art' of making prosthetics is being rapidly lost, and new

amputees won't know any better. :(

GOING HOME WITH A TEST SOCKET THAT DOESN'T FIT

Huh? That is just crazy. If it hurts in the rooms, then be damn

sure it can only get worse. I can see Marco's frustration levels

rising with me sometimes. He'll say "how does it feel", and I will

say "I'm not sure". And quite honestly, at that point, I really

don't know. If it's a new socket, the pressure points are

different. Heck, how am I to know if that's where it's supposed to

push me. So he says "walk". 10 minutes later, same question "how

does it feel?" Me - "I'm not sure, but it's pushing a bit here".

Marco - "walk". And he bundles me out the door of his rooms so I

can walk properly, even if I don't want to :angry: . This can take anything from 20 to 50 minutes. And trust me, if the socket is not right, after walking non-stop for this length of time, you will know if it's going to be a problem.

And Marco won't let me go home with the socket if it starts to make

me sore.

In defense of prosthetists, sometimes we are so eager to take our

new leg home, or so tired of the to'ing and fro'ing to try and get

it right, that we are not completely honest. These people rely

completely on us when it comes to final fitting. They can't 'feel'

for us. So in short, if you go home with an ill-fitting socket, most of the

blame must sit on your shoulders. We need to learn how to say NO

this is not right, I won't manage. Period.

Rule of thumb - if it's sore, it doesn't fit!

THE ONUS IS ON YOU TO GET EDUCATED

This is sad but true. In Africa, there are no 'qualified' peer

visitors, no healthy support groups. Nothing. It took me a very

long time to realise there was even such a thing as getting myself

educated. We need to take an active interest in our disability.

This is, afterall, a problem we will have for life. A prosthetist

doesn't have the time to sit for hours explaining every detail to

his patient. It's just not practical. And I am sure that if you

visit your prosthetist with questions and suggestions that are

intelligent :huh: and up-to-speed (if not on the same level as his), they

are more inclined to listen to you, and share information that you

may otherwise not have received.

I am like a sponge now. Sometimes I hurtle off in the wrong

direction completely and Marco just smiles and shakes his head.

More often than not, he wins. But I come away more empowered and

feeling more in control of my own life. And I think Marco

appreciates that in me.

SOCKET VERSUS ALIGNMENT

The alignment of the knee and the foot with the socket is almost as

important as getting a good socket fit. I have had a perfect

socket, changed the knee, and been crippled the next day. If the

prosthetist hasn't done a lot of work with a particular knee, then

chances are that when he aligns it, it's hit and miss. Could it be

that our sockets are not too bad, but the alignment throws the whole

thing out of kilter? I think this is a distinct possibility. <_<

There are some dreadful prosthetists out there, and also some

superstars. However, we, as amputees, need to start taking

responsibility also. If you are lumbered with a painful prosthesis,

it's up to you to make it right. If this means yelling and

demanding, or being more honest, or actively seeking out knowledge,

or refusing to go home with something that doesn't feel right, do

it. But do something. Do something. Both prosthetist and patient

rely on eachother to get a comfortable and functional limb made.

You may have been a victim of some cruel twist of fate, but that

story is over. It's time to move on as the master of the rest of

your life. It's SO do-able!!

Like Marco says "there's only so much I can do Ally, the rest is up

to you". (Damn, it would be so nice to lump him with my burden and

sit back waiting for him to do miraculous things). :P

Thanks for listening to my ramblings,

Ally

:)

Ally,

Thank you for posting this here with us.

I agree 100% with everything you said. Especially the part about educating ourselves. It's up to each of us individually - and no-one else - to educate ourselves on our disability, with whatever resources we have available (internet/talking to prosthetist/etc.). We should do this, because, as you said, our disability is with us for the rest of our lives - our legs WON'T grow back. <_<

Sometimes I'm quite surprised when I see other amputees at my limb centre, and I ask what liner/foot they they have, just out of curiosity, but they can't tell me... they just don't know. :huh:

Some might say that they don't need to know, because whatever they're using works for them, and that's all they need to know. That's true, but what about the day when it STOPS working for you and it's time to look at other alternatives?

Are you just going to let your prosthetist decide for you again?

What if, in that time, you get a new prosthetist who isn't up-to-speed on all the products/components available?

This may look like I'm ranting... I'm not. Just thinking out loud! ;)

Ally, your observations and thoughts came from the heart. They're very useful to know - for everyone, not just new amputees.

Thanks again. :D

Yes Ally you are 100% right on this one.

You hit it right on the nose.

I dont think you hurt anyones feelings here.

But in order to get a good leg you have to DEMAND and ASK questions.

thanks for sharing this with us.

Lesley

Well put Ally!

I hope all new amps read your post!. I couldn't have said it better.!

That is why it is so imortant that we all take some time to do peer visitations if we can. Not only do some new amps need information about their prosthesis, there ara a million other areas they have questions about. I think one of the most important thing a seasoned amp can help with is helping the newbie stay active and excercise to keep the weight off! Especially the women. Advsing them about lowering salt intake ect can really help. In their greed some insurance companies have ridiculously low allowances for rehab and having a peer to help out really helps.

The other thing new amps don't know is how harshly compettive the prosthetic field business is the USA. With the average charge for a BK being 20,00o dolars and an AKA upwards of thirty, and a upper extremeity even more.

It is a sad truth that there are some real slimeballs out there, I have met some humdingers!( I was married to a prosthetist for 7 years, but he is VERY GOOD)Unfortunately, just like doctors, some prosthetists get into the busness for the money and are able to stay in business because theyare in demand. Many bad prothetitsts when they are let go from one company just move to a different place and are allowed to practice, just like doctors. The O&P insudtry does not police themselves at all, and it is always the newbies that get burned. They need peer visitors.

Unique

Hi,

You know, 22 years ago, when this happened to me, I was frustrated with lack of knowledge. There was no internet to look at, nor was anybody at Rehab offering options or suggesstive reading material. I just took what they gave me.

When the time came to replace my first set, I went to a new prosthetist. The guy I had had at Rehab moved out of state. :huh: First guy was a moron & I gave up on him. The next guy was one of the sweetest human beings on earth & fun. Although he never really was able to make me comfortable legs, he did give me a lot of information. I had asked him why there wasn't some simple pamphlet given to new amputees. You go to a dentist for a root canal & there are pamphlets strewn across the table. Go to a gynecologist & again, tons of different pamphlets with information at your finger tips. Lose a limb & nope, no pamphlets. :angry: I asked Patrick why, & he had no answer. I discussed putting something together, but he felt that the legal aspects of such a pamphlet might be hard to get around. So, no pamphlet & poor little Patrick passed away after conguering lung cancer yet succumbing to pneumonia. :(

Since coming on to this forum, I have learned that there were many intial things I should have been doing to my residual limbs. Massage, de-sensitizing, working my calf muscles, shave don't shave, etc. I went to one of the country's best rehab facilities & still never informed.

So guys....who's going to put together the The Forum Informer!?! :D

Linda

Great posting Ally - you're all absolutely right! :D

In fact, I think that there should be another section in this forum - with the title, 'What New Amps Should Know' (or something similar) - and this posting should be at the top!

What do you think?

Lizzie

Sheesh ally gurll , your so rigght here and i thinkiing gurl thsat maybbe not onnly for new peoles but morer older onees too . Sheeesh , this is just toooo rigghtnes hhere .

Hi Ally,

knowledge is power for sure.

As an old-timer in this bizzo i can relate to many things you are saying.

Respect and good communication between prosthesist and patient is the key to making the outcome successful . More and more the issue of low budgets and staff cuts, etc. is creeping in. You are made quite aware the time allocated to you will not be overdrawn. Ha ! So this time has to be used efficiently. Cutting the babble and getting straight to the point of what you want/expect. It’s team work and i’m sure any good prosthesist would appreciate any suggestions/ideas that you bring along from pre-informing yourself also. (just as long as they feel you aren't undermining their competence .... :huh: )

I agree, the fitting (a snug socket) and allignment are the fundamentals. What is the benefit of a high tech foot (in my case LBK) if you can’t walk pain free? Taking time to get this right is essential but the communication has to be clear and to the point.

Don’t let go of Marco by the sounds of things :D

:lol: Karen, I intend to be latched firmly to Marco for quite some time!

I went for my first MAS fitting on Thursday last week. I told Marco that I want to document my visits with him as we go along. There are so many people who are asking questions about the new socket, so I may as well share my journey from a dizzy-female amp point of view. Marco said that he would do his bit for this too, and write his comments from a professional point of view as the fitting progresses. It's a new experience for both of us.

Anyway, I digress. What I actually wanted to say was that a really important set of guidelines needs to be laid down for ladies going for their very first socket setting, especially above knee people.

Think about it. You can't even begin to imagine how intimate the measurements and feeling-for-the-bones gets. I am fairly lucky in that I come from a theatre and performing background, where the body is really just another tool to workshop with. But what about the people who can't even sit on the beach without covering up with shorts or a towel??? Eeeeek - SOMEBODY WARN THEM! Tell them what underwear to have on, tell them that if they need to get a brazilian wax to maintain some sort of dignity - go get it quick! This all hit home again with a BANG when I saw Marco on Thursday (and it's only been 10 months since my last socket setting).

Between us all we have a wealth of information that has no price.

I really like this forum....a lot!

Ally

PS - I will start a MAS thread soon. Next week my first test socket should be ready. We will probably cast about 3 before doing the final one.

Hiyya ally gurl . you saidded : " ... Think about it. You can't even begin to imagine how intimate the measurements and feeling-for-the-bones gets. I am fairly lucky in that I come from a theatre and performing background, where the body is really just another tool to workshop with. But what about the people who can't even sit on the beach without covering up with shorts or a towel??? Eeeeek - SOMEBODY WARN THEM! ... "

I wish i was morerer bettter toldded aabbout tall this bbeffore becciuuase i knwoing gurl i leflted a traill of broekeen nosses , balck eyess , swolled upping face cheeks and bruiisseded arrms frroomm all thoos epeopllee tryying tyo putinnng thier hannds all ovver the placce . Justt askiing onne of my oldd shrinnkk , or drs... or nursses , or my sister , Sheesh , i thinkkiing a putted themm all on thtr ee samee flooor as mme . :P :P :P I mayying beeiing teeny weny but ii havving a awssoom ee puncching . :P :P :P

Itt iis sooo madnessiiinng too havving to learrniing stufs on our oownn beccuase no oone tellings us abbout what is reaally outtt there and whatt to expectinng . Whatt really makkinggs madd gurll is that noo one is telinng us abbout the stuffs for us gurls likke fashionss , and shoees and the stufs WE neddiing . Yes , i amm talkkiingg abaout the morer cosmettic stuffs .

And thenn theere are the insuurucannce comamapnais that arr tryyingtelliing US what we need and shoulded havingn. Whho the hel are they to decciding what is good for us anaywaay . Whenn i firrsestly hadded my revisisoon , i wannted to getting a C-leg bbeeccuase of what I readded and hadded others telingmm eabooutt. I was toldded by thebinssurranace ccocmpany that i didnn't neding oone and that i accn makiing duue with ssommewthtinng lesser gooodnesser . Ummmmmm sccuuuzeing mme but ,umm , errr , ummm we hhavving the right too gettting baccking as mucch as whatt w eehadd befoofre and shhouldded being able too havvving the besstesttt tthingss avvailaable to us ... annd NOT the besstest stuff that inssurrnance cocmamapiies wiil buyyiing . GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ... ( vewrry madd slushy gurl )

Thenn theere arre the pros peopple whop telling you tthat evveenn whenn sosmethinng is not commfy for you , " oh , you'll geting usseded too that or you'l adjdudutingness too this oir that " .. WWWRRROOONNNGGG .................... WEe haveing to being commfy , NOT the prosss person so ppleasse , dooiing for US too wearring thannking you vvery mucch ....... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andd thenn there iis my huuuuge thingiiee that makkkes mme sooooooooooooooooooooooooo madd . I emaing , justt beccuase we need a porss or soomething , we are NOT stuppidd and doon't wanting to talked too aas i f we arre two year oldds or talkked down to or talked abboout as the THIIIRDD person when arre riight in fronnnnt of them . GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR i hadded to telling my ownn pros ppersoon a few timees too wheen my mom or dad was theeere and i ws thtere and he wass tryyinng to exapaalinning something ..... he somettimes talked to THEM abbout my stuffs and i ws right tthere in fronnt of his facce . I toldded hhom that if he jhasisng sayying ssooomething , teliing it too ME , i amm not stuppid gurl . He gotted the mesgae .

Howeeevr i gotted the mosttest helpiingness from KAZ , bbeeccuase she tolddeed zackticklly waht to expapectttingnessing and whaht to asskiing too . Yes , theere is notthing likke havving experriincenes but morer beter , GREAT frieneds who realy dooing caarirnng . Thannks Kaz ... ((( huge hugg )))

I agree with Ally, and us "old" amps need to remember this too. It's a team effort; no one but you really understands how a prosthesis feels to walk on.

My latest prosthesis (RBK) was cast almost a year ago ("pin" leg, ice-ross, multiaxial foot). It was shelved because I was too busy with work and I had a hissy fit about not getting an adjustable heel-height foot (I went shoe shopping yesterday, and couldn't find anything - so I'm still, um, annoyed about that one :unsure: :P ). We resumed work on it in January because I broke my 15 year old prosthesis while scrambling over rocks :blink: . We had the alignment "close enough" by March, when I signed it off. I've had continual problems with pressure on the front of my knee - a problem I don't have with the 15 year old patched-together prosthesis. Every couple of weeks I'd be back to get a spot relieved. We've been talking about recasting and starting again. The new socket felt unstable and unreliable, and it was difficult to walk around the kitchen (i.e., slowly) or on uneven ground. I complained that I couldn't walk backwards with it, and was told that almost no amputees can do that (surely I'm not the only one who has to wrestle kids while avoiding tripping over toys?).

Then I started thinking about how the old prosthesis feels to wear. Obviously you've got to bear your weight somewhere. My stump has a natural fleshy pad at the end, so it's not weight-bearing. I have a flexion contracture (which I cannot get rid of despite years of effort - my knee is a mess, but better than no knee, ok :) ?). The socket comes up high at the front of my knee (I have no patella), as does the new socket - I do a little bit of weight-bearing there during part of my stride. The pelite liner of my old socket is patched with leather, and has some brown-ish stains that testify to the difficulty of getting it to fit correctly all those years ago (I've had 3 - 4 prostheses since, and none of them worked for more than a couple of years - most of this was because of weight gain and loss, due to having two children.). The old PTK socket has a ridge on the medial side, just below the tibia, and as a result a lot of my weight-bearing happens there.

So, I realised that the big difference between the sockets was this medial ridge, which gave me extra weight-bearing surface and packed my stump more securely into the socket. I was back to the prosthetist to get another spot relieved at the front of my knee last week, but instead we added a pelite pad to the medial side of the socket, just where the ridge sits on the old prosthesis.

It's like a different leg :) . While I still need a bit of relief for the pressure point on my knee, I'm no longer weight-bearing on the front of my knee. My stump is held in place more tightly, which improves proprioception and stability. I think I could probably manage the Elation foot I tried before now (but that will take a bit of convincing my prosthetist :( ).

I am fortunate in that I manage to keep my weight stable (post-kids) and my stump doesn't change, so I could compare with the old prosthesis. Even so, thinking critically about the fit and feel of the prosthesis is crucial for good results. You need to take responsibility for understanding what's going on with the prosthesis. Your prosthetist has experience from many other patients and brings that expertise to work on your prosthesis, but you are the expert on your own prosthesis and your own body. It matters more to you than anyone else.

-kam

Hi Ally

Agree with you 100% on everything you have said. I guess I was lucky in my early stages, 35 years ago, Had a wonderful Prosthetist (sadly retired some 20 yrs back) who seemed to know what was wrong by watching me walk, before I said anything. He also gave me loads of advice, never seemed to be wrong and I had very few problems. I was also, I suppose somewhat lucky (altho. didn't think so at the time) because was still in hospital for about 6 wks after I got the limbs, and had quite intensive physio. also taught how to do things like lift myself in and out of bath etc., so once home was quite independent and within a week or so was back to school full time on limbs.

Echo, the comments on info. I would like to receive on diet, exercise, and weight gain, after 3 children the weight has crept on and its a real effort to keep it down. Briefly went to a gym. but they had little in the way of upper body equip. and didn't really know what to do with me. My prosthetic centre has no consultant, so get no medical advice concerning my limbs and over the years received conflicting advice from diff. prosthetists I have seen. Very little input from GP either, who tells me he knows very little about it, but tends to put all my health problems down o my age and the fact I wear prosthetic limbs.

As for fittings, I always try and advise new amps. to take a pair of shorts, however not sure if it has all become more intrusive or what, never seemed to have to bother with this years ago!

Agree that if the socket doesn't fit in fitting stage it never will. Had a new one in Feb. and the socket is still not right, you end up going back forever for appointments, at the moment seem to be going back weekly and still not getting anywhere!

With the NHS in the UK, suppose we don't have the same element of competition with limb companies, altho. think it is still relevant to some extent.

Ann

Thanks Ally,

As a new amputee, LAK (well April, but still not got my leg yet) I really appreciate the posting.

I am having my third socket made and as yet haven't even began learning to walk because they cannot get the fit right. I'm so sore from the fitting last Monday, it's quite disheartening. I was there four hours along with lots of other people. (NHS) I can't ever imagine being able to walk, pain free! :(

The prodding and poking around intimate areas is very embarassing especially when it is done infront of other patients, even if they are other women.

What I don't understand is how do they expect a new amputee to be able to know what feels right? Surely all new amputees should be given written information explaining the whole process. I'm not accepting anything that hurts but I so want to just get on with my life.

Interesting about the allignment though, I have a very long stump so there is no room to play with, so they have to get it right first time, in the initial laminating process.

Keep the advice coming, love reading your journal but no idea what a MAS socket is?

Keep smiling.......you got to.................Lynne :D

Hi Lynne

Getting your first limb is daunting to say the least. You are quite right, how do you know when it fits right? And also, if you are still sore from the last fitting, how are you sure that the new socket is hurting, or if you are still tender from the last time? :rolleyes: It's all very frustrating, I know.

Must say, I have never been fitted in front of anyone else. In fact, when I was shoved in for my very first leg, they told me that my husband couldn't come into the room. None of us knew what to expect, or what the procedure was. He wasn't happy. And afterwards (long afterwards) I realised that I could have asked for him to be there. I was so frightened and new. That wasn't fair!

As far as alignment goes, when I changed knees (same socket), I was crippled almost immediately. The socket had become too painful to use. My prosthetist spent ages tweaking the alignment in the knee and foot, and eventually, with the help of another prosthetist, we got to a point where I could walk. Just one little shift with an allan key made such a difference it was frightening.

You are going to go through a number of sockets in your first couple of years, so just be prepared for that. You will have considerable limb shrinkage, which will mean that you have to go back for new sockets every now and then. So don't get too attached to your first socket.... :P

I also have a long stump - that's good. It gives you more stability. And any socket has to be right in the final laminating process. 'Cause it's at that point where you theoretically say "ok, this is what I want, I'm buying it" and you close the deal. Be sure you are happy.

Going back for multiple test sockets is a pain in the butt, but it's something we have to do. It's not unusual. We've all been through it, and will continue to do so with every new socket we get. The only thing that changes is that you have something to compare new sockets with.

When you eventually get a test socket that you think may be ok, they must let you take it home for about a week. Use it (gently) and see if you cope. If not, take it back and make them adjust it. This way you tell them exactly where the sore spots are. If you have to take a permanent marker and make dots & lines on your skin where it's uncomfortable, do this. It will help them to know exactly where your trouble spots are.

I use my leg the whole day. Admittedly it starts to hurt after 8 to 10 hours, but I know why and am in the process of getting this fixed. There are people who are active in their legs for up to 18 hours a day :o so it's infinitely possible to get comfortable.

What kind of socket and knee are you getting? Ask them if they haven't told you. I wasn't told what I was getting as a newbie. Damn rude I think! That kind of treatment just helps you buy into the whole 'disabled' concept in a very negative way.

Here's some info on the MAS Socket design.

Hang in there. You'll be mobile pretty soon.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

As far as fitting goes, you should be able to ask for a private room if privacy is important to you. My limb centre (NHS) offers this facility and it is well publicised around the centre. I would have thought that was a national thing but you may have to ask.

Thanks Muz,

I'll keep that in mind, although there only seems to be a male or female fitting room. I certainly have never seen any information to the conterary.

Ally,

In the uk, or at least at my limb centre we do not get test sockets, certainly not on the National Health Service! You get casted then a socket is made, it is fitted and you learn to walk at physiotherapy sessions, then you get to take the leg home when they feel you will be safe with it.

Good tip about marking the sore areas to show them exactly where it hurts, I'll be using that one!

When I eventually get to use my leg it will have an Ossur Total Knee 2000 and a fairly new (to the UK) Ossur Axia flex foot. I only know this because I insisted on being proactive in the of choice of components. They don't deal with people being proactive very well! :rolleyes:

I know the first couple of years will see many changes in my stump size and hopefully they will change the socket to suit when needed. Getting recast when shrinkage has occured seems to be an issue for other amputees I have spoken to at the limb centre.

Will let you all know how I get on with the fitting tomorrow(Friday)

Keep smiling....Lynne x :D

In the uk, or at least at my limb centre we do not get test sockets, certainly not on the National Health Service!

Lynne, I'm sorry to say that it must be your limb centre. <_<

I get check sockets at mine.

Just to clarify, check sockets are the ones that are clear. When you wear them, your prosthesist can see your residual inside the socket and how it fits you/where there's too much pressure/how far down you go into it, etc..

There's a proper word for the material used, but I just can't remember what it's called.

Laminate??

Ooooh, my memory is failing me already at age 26 <_< :rolleyes::blink::ph34r:

I'm sure someone will be along to clear this up :rolleyes:

Not just at Lynne's Limb Centre. I did get one for my first fitting but it was too small. We got it on with alot of pushing shoving and creative alterations at which point my prosthetist went ahead with making the proper socket and that's the way it's been for all the rest of my legs. Having said that he's got most of them pretty much spot on and they only last about 8 weeks before another is needed.

The finished socket is a laminate (which just means that layers of material are laminated or glued together)

Check sockets are thermoplastic (the material get soft and flexible when heated), and made from a material with the trade names of Durr-plex and Vivak.

Thanks, Marcus, for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

Although I am glad that I receive check sockets (they're called check sockets as your prosthesist can check that the socket will be right for you upon completion, thus saving time) my understanding of them is that they are more popular in countries where there is no government-funded health service, i.e. USA.

The reason being is that someone (the amputee OR their insurance provider) has to foot the bill (pardon the pun!). With check sockets, I believe they are relatively cheaper to make than a completely FINISHED socket. This is a more cost-effective way of having a final socket made, for the paying amputee/insurance provider.

Not just at Lynne's Limb Centre. I did get one for my first fitting but it was too small. We got it on with alot of pushing shoving and creative alterations at which point my prosthetist went ahead with making the proper socket and that's the way it's been for all the rest of my legs. Having said that he's got most of them pretty much spot on and they only last about 8 weeks before another is needed.

Not everyone is so lucky to have such a talented prosthesist such as yours, Muz. :rolleyes: ;)

Hah, don't get me wrong. I didn't say they were perfect. This latest one hasn't been right from day one and recently I've had some days where I've been hobbling around like an old fart. I still don't have the confidence in my socket to be able to run so there's definitely room for improvement. :)

Sorry if I sounded a little smug. I wanted to give a bit of credit to the NHS as it seems that people are almost apologetic when admitting that they use the service and are often critical of the treament they receive. Just trying to redress the balance.

Sorry if I sounded a little smug.

Of course not, Muz! I'm sorry if my post made you feel as if you may have sounded smug :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I don't think you have a 'smug' bone in your body.

...Come to think of it, there may be one!!! :o :lol: :P ;)

Sorry everyone, I forgot to check this posting but thanks for all the imput.

I'm not being critical of the NHS, just stating a fact. I've never had a test socket. My sockets(3) that haven't fitted, have all been made of skin coloured plastic.

However I do think that everything within the NHS is down to money, they have a budget to stick to. I agree that it would be cost effective to use clear test sockets, don't understand why they don't.

Perhaps you are right Afet, it's just my Limb Centre! :rolleyes:

I never used to get clear check sockets, now I always do, they do save hassle if there are any changes required, although they do require an extra afternoon off work...

Mike

RBK

Scotland

However I do think that everything within the NHS is down to money

No different to private health care then... if you can't afford it you can't have it. Having an expensive insurance policy won't guarantee unlimited funds either as our friends in other countries can testify.

I think the NHS is extremely good but it does have to stick to a budget (as we all do) and it has to provide value for money to the taxpayer ie you and me. The one thing it doesn't have to do however is provide value for money and big fat dividends for shareholders, and golden handshakes for directors.