Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

MAS Socket - My journal

My friend in New Brunswick is getting fitted for one as well. I haven't talked to her in a while but last time we spoke she was having simmilar experiences.

She likes it because she has no "Hip" as it where so it keeps her from swinging her leg out. Mom is trying to talk me into it...but I'm not too cool on anything that could goose me while walking. i do like how the shape allows you to sit on your back side rather then socket. Best of luck Ally i'm on the fence about looking into one so thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ally, this is a very late post but I just finished reading your ordeal and I agree with everybody else, you are funny, you made me feel like I was just there in Marco's office with you and at same time I am asking why I could not find a prosthetist like yours. Your amputation happened the same year and month that mine did. I am also RAK since April ( 23 or 24 I am not sure) of 1995, and like you my little girl was only 8 when this started and 9 when I finally lost my leg. I didn't know any better and my Prosthetist , Steve blamed me and after try redo, the socket 2 times he would gave up and tell me I have to try a little harder to get use to it..well I had 3 legs made by Steve in the last 10 years and none of them was comfortable. My second one made by some people in Chicago is the one I can walk and do some work. I kept going back to Steve because he made me believe it was my falt, really, and also because I had to drive through heavy traffic for 2 hous each way to go to Chicago. Steve has his ofice about 7 miles away from my house! He also always try to convence me that this time would be diferent, which wasn't true. Last week I went to see a new person in South Bend, Indiana, at least it is only 45 minutes from my house to there. This new Prosthetist name is Ron and I am hoping he is going to be more understanding than Steve. At least now I know it is not my falt and I don't have to take it.

I have several question for you but I think I am going to email you directly.

Thank you so much

Dea

Hi Dea - I have another update but I'm really really tired at this point. Please feel free to mail me anytime.... ally@jamally.co.za

I'd love to hear from you.....

Ally

:)

Well, I haven't posted here for a long time, but we have fumbled and bumbled on regardless. It has been 8 months since I started the journal. There have been quite a few more entries on my site, so if you want to read the missing bits up to this point you can find them on http://allyrakamputee.beplaced.com

But - HEY HEY HEY - I picked up the definitive socket on Tuesday. Lawdy lawd, it has been a ride and a half I tell you. But it fits, and I love it. It is comfortable, I have a huge range of movement, and I have finally fallen in love properly with my liner that was giving me so many problems.

We sorted out the shelf and the bugger ear, all done. Big smiles all around.

And - well, because it is such a special baby, I thought it needed a special cover. Hell, go big or go home. What can I say.

HERE SHE IS........................FINALLY..........................................

ally_flowerpower.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ally, it's beautiful! Big congrats!! :D

She's lovely Ally, good luck with the socket you certainly deserve it!

PJ :)

That socket is way cool B)

Wooo-hoo-oo-oo-oo!!! That is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my entire life!! :D :D :D :D Congratulations Ally!!! :D :D :D :D

Ally, that is something else Girl, way too cool.

I have followed your diary and (your story) I know the heartache you have been through,

I want you to believe me when I say, I am so very - very, pleased for you.

In fact that's an understatement I'm absolutely delighted for you.

You have shared the joy of others, myself included, it is now a real pleasure to be able to share yours.

As my sainted grandmother used to say .. "I wish you well to wear it"

Mike

PS: do they do those with a motorbike design ? :D

Mike

PS: do they do those with a motorbike design ? :D

Mike and everybody - thanks so much. It is such a relief after all these months!

Mike - they sure do. My prosthetist says the weirdest one he has ever had to make was a guy who wanted his fiancee's red lace g-string laminated on.

All you need to do is find some light stretchy fabric - lycra is best, and your prost can laminate it onto the socket.

Thanks again,

Ally

:)