Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA Conference 2005 Review

Hi all !

It's another great conference, but it is already about to be a wrap. This year, thanks to Judy's wonderful idea, we held the HMM Amputee Forum's 1st Annual Gathering Luncheon. In this picture from left to right, along with me are Marcia, Brenda, Cheri, krazy1200 (Karen), and HipHop. NANN was also with us for lunch, but was unavailable for our annual group photo. Brenda tells me that RayB is here somewhere, but our paths have not crossed as of yet. Wish that more of you could have joined us, as it was really great to get to meet some more of ya. The 2006 ACA Annual Educational Conference & Exposition will be June 15-17, 2006 at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel in Minneapolis, MN so mark your calanders now and start saving for it so that you can be in the picture next year. THAT MEANS YOU JUDY !!!! :lol:

I hope to have some more for you soon. Thanks for looking after things for me here on the forum while I am away Afet and Lark. It's so comforting knowing that your are there. Have to figure out a way of getting you both here one of these days as well.

Kind regards to all:

JohnnyV

post-53-1144444927_thumb.jpg

Hey Johnny,

Thanks for sharing that pic with us.

You ALL look great! B)

It's also good to be able to put faces to names. ;) :D

I swear... one of these years, I will try to be there myself - if only to meet up with you guys!! ;)

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the conference, Johnny, and I'm sure everyone else did too. :D

Awesome pic johnny thanks for posting it.

Hope you are all having a great time, wish i was there too.

Maybe next time ;)

Cat

Johnny, I'm so sorry we didn't get to meet. I was pulled to another table at Thursday's lunch and our paths never crossed. I will find you next year.

Brenda, it was good to talk with you again.

You're right Johnny, it was a great conference.

rayb

Hi, Johnny

Thanks for setting up the gathering at lunch.... it was great meeting everyone! The conference was an awesome experience for me. I've been an amputee most of my life, but there is so much out there I didn't know about. I was especially impressed with the mobility and gait training clinics. Loved seeing new amputees getting off to a good start so they will not develop habits that are hard to break, and "old" amputees feeling empowered as they (we) learned how to correct those habits acquired over the years. There's nothing worse than knowing something is wrong but not knowing how to fix it, and no better experience than that "light bulb" moment when you find out how you can! And just having SO MANY people with limb loss in one place was an enourmous rush.... for the first time in my life as an amputee I was in the MAJORITY! How cool is that?! :-)

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

• Thanks for setting up the gathering at lunch.... it was great meeting everyone! 
  • I was especially impressed with the mobility and gait training clinics. 
  • And just having SO MANY people with limb loss in one place was an enourmous rush.... for the first time in my life as an amputee I was in the MAJORITY!  How cool is that?!  :-)

Hi Karen, and welcome home,

It was a pleasure setting up the lunch, with very little effort on my part. Looking forward to this annual gathering in future years so that we can continue to meet up with anyone here that is able to attend.

Glad to hear that the convention turned out to be so positive for you. I couldn't make the mobility training due to scheduling conflicts. But I was able to schedule the Gait Analysis / Training. My NY bop stands out as much as ever. Now I just have to remember to walk in rythm to keep my stride even on both legs. It was such a valuable resource.

Speaking of rush, I thought that you did a very nice job transitioning to heels for the first time on your Freedom Runway foot as an AK. Quite inspiring as a novice. Do you care to tell us more Karen, as to how that experience made you feel? I thought that you were standing tall and looking good, ready to go to Hollywood.

I remember experiencing that amputee majority feeling the first time that I attended an ACA conference in 2003, and you are right, it is very cool.

Peace ! :)

Hi All:

I am glad to see that a few people were able to get together at this conference. Myself, at one time, did have serious thoughts about attending. However, life changes.

I am “surprised” to “see” HipHop. I have not read many postings by him other than those which he posted when he first joined the forum. I really enjoyed those postings of his.

I take note of the information concerning next year’s conference to be held in Minneapolis. This is well within driving distance for me. Rest assured that I WILL be there next year. Room reservations are already made.

Perhaps other Canucks can make it down: SPECIFICALLY - DUMBARTON!!!

I would then at least have the opportunity to hear that Bader story she keeps on promising!!

ED

Perhaps other Canucks can make it down: SPECIFICALLY -  DUMBARTON!!!

I would then at least have the opportunity to hear that Bader story she keeps on promising!!

ED, you crack me up!! :lol: ;)

Remind me to NEVER cross you... I have a feeling that you'd never let me, nor anyone else, forget about it! :lol: :P

Hi all,

Am still in Dallas visiting with my brother & his family. I had such a good time at the conference. The mobility clinic was the absolute best. I actually couldn't attend every session I wanted to. I hope everyone who wants to can go next year. I have never had such a feeling of empowerment. My first thought about Minneapolis was - I bet Ed will go to that one.

Thanks Johnny V for setting up the lunch gathering. It was really good to meet everyone.

This is a great forum!

Here is a great picture, compliments of Freedom Inovations, that was taken Friday evening at the 50's party of Survivor Chad Critendon, Brenda and myself. Hope that you like it.

post-18-1124184194.jpg

Hey Guys-Looks like you all had a great time and thanks for the pic's Johnny they're great.

So next year Hey!!! Better get that passport re issued. Will put the date in my diary Johnny and look forward to it.

Mel.

By the way where in the States is Minni?

Ed I'm hiding from you just in case I forgot to do something :P

Mel,

You could also try this map, which shows where Minneapolis is in relation to everywhere else:

http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_htm/usa.htm

Turns out that Minneapolis is in the state of Minnesota (MINN). That's in the middle, at the top, just below Canada... if that helps. :blink:

I didn't even know which state it was in, so needed to look it up myself. :rolleyes:

Great pic of you, Brenda and Chad, Johnny :D

FYI:

Minneaplois is the home of the Mall of America..................largest in North America I believe.

There you can shop till you drop..............or, if you are like me...................drop while you shop.

ED

There you can shop till you drop..............or, if you are like me...................drop while you shop.

hahaha!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of rush, I thought that you did a very nice job transitioning to heels for the first time on your Freedom Runway foot as an AK.  Quite inspiring as a novice.  Do you care to tell us more Karen, as to how that experience made you feel?  I thought that you were standing tall and looking good, ready to go to Hollywood.

B) LOL, Johnny....not sure if I'm quite ready for Hollywood yet, but I sure LOVE the Runway foot! I've been an amputee since I was a teenager and my only other experience with varying heel heights was with sach feet....I'd take one off and replace it with another one, depending on which shoes I wanted to wear. I always felt like I was leaning forward because...well, I was! That's the way it worked. Anyway, my prosthetist put my Runway on the day before the Dallas conference and I ran out to buy a couple of pairs of shoes to try once I got there (my prosthetist had a booth there, right behind Freedom Innovations). I brought my shoes down to the booth Thursday afternoon and the Freedom people helped show me how to adjust the heel height and I just took off!! I felt like I was walking just as straight and secure on 2-inch heels as I did in my flat shoes! I was amazed!!! I walked comfortably all over the place in my pretty little shoes...even went to dinner in them. My 6'3" husband is tickled to have his 5'4" wife stand a little taller than his belly button on occasion, LOL. Note to Afet....thank you so much for your endorsement of the Runway - you're the one who got me so excited about trying it. This forum is WONDERFUL!

Karen :-)

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Note to Afet....thank you so much for your endorsement of the Runway - you're the one who got me so excited about trying it.  This forum is WONDERFUL! 

Oh, Karen, your post has really made me smile! :D :D :D

You're very welcome!!

I am delighted that you, too, have had such a fantastic experience with the Runway foot. They really are something, aren't they?! ;)

I'm also glad that I could help! :angry:

All the best on your new heels!! :D

Great pic !!!!!

Brenda .......... I showed Josh your fancy leg and he thought it was real cool.

Debbie

Thanks Guys for the quick response-have it sused now-Cheers. Boy it's a big place and I thought Australia was huge!

Mel.

Hey Mel.......did he just call us dense? <_<

I am “surprised” to “see” HipHop. I have not read many postings by him other than those which he posted when he first joined the forum. I really enjoyed those postings of his.

Didn't know that I was missed.. :) However, I do vist this site at least once a week and read through the posts..

Thanks for setting up the lunch Johnny. I enjoyed meeting all of you.

I am a fairly new amputee (9-06-03), and this was my first ACA. I plan on attending the ACA every year now. See ya next year!

Hi Johnny,

Are those dates set in concrete for next year?

Hi Everyone,

I just returned late last night, as I extended my trip after the ACA Conference to visit my brother, and other family, in Texas.

Kudos to Johnny for arranging our get together! It was so fun to put the faces to the names and actually talk in person! What a great bunch! Even the vendors, prosthetists, physical therapists, etc., were all so friendly and fun.

Aside from meeting people, I would have to say that the best part of the conference was the Bob Gailey Gait Training (Mobility Clinic), along with the Gait Analysis Clinic. If you ever get a chance to participate in any of his clinics, or even visit a Physical Therapist who has been trained by him, JUMP ON IT!! They are trained so specifically to amputee's needs, it's wonderful.

It was kind of funny that after being with so many amputees for 3 days, I still didn't notice how comfortable I was with others "like me," until the conference was winding down and the "2 legged" guests started checking into the hotel, I immediately noticed the stares again! I'm not around any other amputees in my daily life, and I realized how fun it was to be surrounded by them! : )

I hope to attend next year, and I would highly encourage anyone who's contemplating going~to do so!

Cheri