Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA Conference 2005 Review

Muz - I have absolutely no idea what you said  :blink:

None of us ever have :)

Great comeback, Marcus!! :lol: ;) :P

Er... sorry Muz! :unsure:

:blink:

Nice try on the tech support Muz. Congratulations on your quote capability acomplishment mmarie. There is a lot of functionality on the forum that people never get, nor do they want to. One of my favorite calls and I got one today is when someone contacts me, says that they haven't been on the forum for a while and can't remember their screen name or how to get back on.

Speaking of get back on, CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC FOLKS ! ! ! :blink:

Sorry Johnny but,.............. Marcus stop blaming the Aussie's we are quiet folk :blink: hehehe, Cat I need to speak to customs about the cattle dog-see what I can do. Did you lend the mayor your fishnets as well?

Looks like a fun town we won't mind if they don't understand us. we'll be just fine.

Muz - I have absolutely no idea what you said  :blink:

None of us ever have :)

Great comeback, Marcus!! :lol: ;) :P

Er... sorry Muz! :unsure:

:rolleyes:

That's ok then, at least nobody will ever be offended by my comments :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now back to the topic. Looks like a great time was had by all concerned. Sadly (or maybe not ;) ) I won't be able to make next years conference. Too many family commitments and I'll still be paying off all my wedding bills.

Ah well, there's always the lotto I suppose :unsure: :)

Hi All:

Been looking around the net for information on the 2005 conference. For the 2006 conference, anybody have an idea as to the cost of this thing??

If so, please provide for all.

TX

ED

Just in case anyone was wondering, I split this topic from the original one (Johnny's Review of the 2005 ACA Conference in Texas) that we hijacked! :rolleyes:

The 2006 ACA Annual Educational Conference & Exposition will be June 15-17, 2006 at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel in Minneapolis, MN so mark your calanders now and start saving for it.

Been looking around the net for information on the 2005 conference. For the 2006 conference, anybody have an idea as to the cost of this thing??

I'm looking forward to any replies you get, Eddie, as I'd quite like to know too. :)

It doesn't look like the ACA has posted anything about 2006 yet. They're probably still recovering from 2005! If you go to their website they have a "contact us" option. I'm sure they'd send any information they have.

OK. . .back on topic (since the Aussies started all the problems :P )

What happened Karen?!?!? I didn't think ANYONE was shorter than Brenda :P :D :lol:

PS - Glad everything worked out with the toys we sent to the conference ;)

Hi, Marcus

Yes..... I am even shorter than Brenda, LOL! The photo Johnny posted was "before" I made my debut in heels! B)

And the "toys" y'all sent to the conference were MAGNIFICENT! (wink)

Karen :-)

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Hi Johnny, looks like you all had a wonderful time in Dallas. I like the pic and appreciate you posting it, even if I am a little slow in finding things!!! :P :lol: It's nice to be able to put a face with a name and I'm sure even nicer to meet everybody.

Ahhhhh shucks, I was hoping the next one would be in Maine!! I know, I can hear everyone saying.......... there's a Maine on the map??? I'll get to one, before they put me in the home, I promise! :lol: :lol: ;)

Hey, does that nice pic mean, that you or Brenda may go on Survivor??? B) WOW!!!... now wouldn't that be AWESOME!!!

As Afet said, I'm glad a good time was had by all!!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

What happened Karen?!?!? I didn't think ANYONE was shorter than Brenda 

Karen's really not that short, Hip-Hop and I are just extra tall! ;)

Cheri

OOPS!! :rolleyes: I forgot, most of you are from other countries, thanks Muz. :D

But if ya ever should decide to come to Maine, let me know and I'll send ya the directions, so long as you're not in a hurry!!! :P :lol: :lol: ;)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I know I know I'm late and I'll explain that in another post but wanted to say to all that was there at our lunch meeting I so enjoyed meeting you all! I thought last year in Nashville was a blast and to be honest I can't decided if this year was much better. Actually it was better for me as last year I had some family issues going on and it was hard not to think of all that stuff but this year I had no thoughts or worries and it made my experience that much better. Anyway Marcia, hiphop, Nann, Cheri, Karen, JohnnyV I am so glad we had our gathering and that we took the opportunity to have a photo shoot. I look forward to next year when we meet in MN so lets start saving our pennies and of course we need a lunch date planner (Judy) and then we just count the days. I miss all of you!

Debbie,

My leg is actually a sleeve I get them from www.fredslegs.com

Hey Marcus,

Watch out you shouldn't make comments about my height like that b/c I just got a new foot called the hmmmmmmmm what I think it's the hmmmmmmmm RUNWAY and I can now add two more inches to my height. YAHOOOOOOOOOOO

Karen you're not shorter than me I think we're the same height.

Cheri,

You're right you and hiphop are extra tall!

Hey Gang

I wish I would have gone...I am so glad everyone had a blast there! I can not believe my parents would not take me there. I did not have the money either. But it was so close to home. But one year when it comes again, I will go. I just feel so left out! But thanks JohnnyV for the pictures.

I am so glad that you are going CAT! I want details everyone.

Lesley

September 15, 2005 O & P Association News

ACA Holds Annual Conference

More than 700 people were present at the Amputee Coalition of America's (ACA) Annual Educational Conference and Exposition held at the Fairmont Dallas in Dallas from Aug. 11-13. Approximately 45% of the attendees were amputees and 41.4% participated for the first time. Sixty-eight veterans were present and a total of 55 vendors manning 87 booths were on hand to answer specific questions from attendees.

"This year's conference was probably one of the best we have had," said Paddy Rossbach, president and CEO of the ACA. "The attendees were upbeat and positive, looking for information and to socialize with one another."

Opening Ceremony Discussions

The opening ceremony included discussions about the ACA"s Action Plan for People with Limb Loss (APPLL), collaboration among organizations to support soldiers with limb loss and the expansion of peer visitor certification to Canada.

According to Rossbach, the APPLL's primary focus is ensuring access to appropriate prosthetic care and reimbursement. Part of this effort includes working with various states to establish prosthetic parity bills in their legislatures, noted Rossbach.

Jack Farley, former ACA board member and master of ceremonies, noted that to this date, 311 amputees have come out of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Of those 311 amputees, 362 limbs have been lost.

"While these numbers are quite disturbing, wartime presents the greatest advancements for amputees," said Farley.

Farley also said that while 3% of amputees in the civilian population are upper extremity amputees, 30% of amputees in the military are upper extremity amputees.

Lt. Colonel Andrew Lourake; Natalie Fish, PT, coordinator of physiotherapy, Lindsay Rehabilitation Hospital, Montreal; David McGill, Esq., chairman, ACA board of directors, and Jeff Cain, MD, chief of family medicine at the Children's Hospital, Denver, and a member of the board of directors for the ACA, also spoke to attendees.

Awards of Excellence

According to Meredith Goins, MS, marketing and outreach coordinator for the ACA, there were more than 100 nominations for the ACA's annual Awards of Excellence

this year. The winners were:

Captain Kathleen Yancosek, Professional of the Year

Brenda Besse, Volunteer of the Year

Jim Mayer, Role Model of the Year

The Burgess Award went to John Bowker, MD, and the inaugural ACA Legislator of the Year Award was given to chairman C.W. Bill Young.

Classes to Attend

Attendees participated in a variety of fun and informative classes.

"The majority of presentations were extremely well attended," said Rossbach.

The mornings began with invigorating exercise classes. A wake-up morning stretch was offered by Scott Waite, MPT, sponsored by Fourroux O&P. Participants were taught exercises they could use on a daily basis. Qi Zhang, OMD, an expert in tai chi and acupuncture, demonstrated the proper way to relieve stress and pain. Attendees learned how to sit, stand and breathe correctly to optimize energy. The instructors of the course Fitness to Fit You, emphasized the importance of exercise for people with diabetes and other secondary conditions that can accompany amputations. Physically Integrated Dance, a class taught by Stephanie Bastos, a professional dancer, helped participants appreciate creative dance techniques and performance skills.

Two special sessions, one dealing with men's issues relating to limb loss, the other with women's issues and limb loss, were widely attended. Discussion topics included how limb loss affects intimacy, relationships and self-esteem.

"I was impressed in the women's session how many attendees felt comfortable enough to talk about some very personal topics," said Rossbach.

Other courses included Pain Management and Treatment Options, by Douglas Smith, MD, and Christina Skoski, MD; Psychological Aspects of Amputation, by Kevin Carroll, MS, CP, FAAOP, and the Ossur Amputee Mobility Clinic, by Robert Gailey, PhD, PT.

Product Theatre Presentations

Several interesting product theatre presentations were available to introduce attendees to various products on the market. Nicolas Vogel, CP, MEDIUSA, spoke about the Medipro RELAX liner and its effectiveness in the reduction of phantom pain. Keith Watson, CPO, and Kim Duckett, CP, presented the unique practice and treatment available at Fourroux O&P. Kevin Carroll, MS, CP, FAAOP, vice president of prosthetics for Hanger Prosthetics & Orthotics, discussed four different microprocessor knees available for patients. He also talked about the Hanger ComfortFlex™ socket.

Entertainment and Special Events

A number of special events were planned this year. Otto Bock HealthCare demonstrated the many functions of the C-Leg®. The company also held a welcome reception with prizes and entertainment.

Attendees danced the night away in poodle skirts and leather jackets at the ACA fabulous fifties dinner and dance party.

"The dance was great," said Rossbach. "I have never seen so many attendees get up and dance".

Bio-fit, a free educational program for kids with limb differences and their families was designed to foster self-esteem and build long-term relationships.

Next year's ACA conference will be held June 15-17 in Minneapolis.

I have some cost estimates for next years convention for those of you who are planning on attending, and need to start thinking about costs.

The hotel will be $99 + tax per night for a single and double room

Conference registration is $210.00 per person for full conference. Now that rate is an early registration rate which will probably end about a month before the conference. Then the rate jumps up to $310.00.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks for the info Johnny.

(Runs screaming round the room trying to convert it all to Aussie dollars :rolleyes::angry: )

All right, all right...I felt like I needed to jump in here and defend myself but was left laughing out loud at Cat's antics (as usual...) ;)

I am SO sad I didnt get to dallas for this years convention. I would love to be at the next one and have it on the calendar. May just fly out myself, without kids, and hang with you guys. Sounds like a great mini vacation....

LOVE the picture, Johnny, and thanks for emailing me the link to it. Brenda, you look GREAT...that running stuff is really getting you in shape! You go girl! :P

I have not been on the site in FOREVER but Johnny inspired me by sending me the link to the picture. Then I saw Brendas face (or dancing body, I should say) in both the OandP magazine and the ACA magazine...talk about inspiration to check back in with you guys......had to give brenda trouble about that great picture!

:angry:

Dont have time this morning, going in for an MRI soon, but will check back in later in teh week and try harder from now on to keep up with you guys. You are always inspiring and always make me laugh. :P

judy

LBK

Utah